Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is Elizabeth Bennet a perfect heroine?

I like many traits of Lizzie’s character: her intelligence, attention and kindness to her family. She has a wonderful sense of humour, that helps her to answer decently to mocking remarks. She is more sceptic than Jane. I like her attitude to marriage, when she refused to marry Collins in spite of the stereotype of that epoch, she had courage to do it. I like her confidence while talking with such masterful people as Catherine de Bourg. But there are no perfect people. Sometimes Lizzie makes conclusions about people too quickly, and these conclusions are based on her first impressions and rumours. E.g. she believed in Wickham’s slander about Darcy.

I don't know about perfect, but she was a model of assertiveness.

Account closed.
    I loved Elizabeths character! She was outspoken when the truth needed to be told. She was the model for the women of the future, and Austen was brilliant in her portrayal of this. Elizabeth was not perfect, hence the title Pride and Prejudice. SHE was guilty of it but acknowledged it.

Actually, the title shouldn't be too much emphasised for this novel, as it has been argued that its initial title First Impressions was only changed because it resembled Sense and Sensability, Austen's first published novel. It is a good title for it and plays on the idea of wrong first impressions (which was clealy Austen's game), you could even hang an interpreation of Darcy and Elizabeth on it, but it remains a title Austen did not prefer.
    One has to laugh before being happy, because otherwise one risks to die before having laughed.

"Je crains [...] que l'âme ne se vide à ces passe-temps vains, et que le fin du fin ne soit la fin des fins." (Edmond Rostand, Cyrano de Bergerac, Acte III, Scène VII)

as it is known, no one is perfect but if we compare elizabeth with other characters, it will be perfect, and what I most liked is her complete refusal to be treated in a low way " if i can say so" eventhough she was not a rich woman, an example to this is her final reply to darcy's aunts when she visits her late at night demanding her to deny her engagement to Darcy, it shows her pride of herself but not arrogance

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12