Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5101112131415

Thread: Industrial Society Destroys Mind and Environment

I think some people are being critical or hostile to it because any intelligent person will quickly realize, within the first page, that it is utter crap, whether the intention is good or not.

There is no way I am going to waste time dismantling this piece line by line, but the within the opening lines a statement is made - "The article examines why Writers, Poets and Artists experience more emotion than other people." That is completely subjective, and downright stupid, as it can in no way be proven.

Many people feel emotion deeply, but are not gifted artistically. Do not conflate emotion with talent or genius.

This one line set off a major red flag, and was only confirmed with another line close by - "Subject : A thinking mind cannot feel." I don't know about you, but when I'm calm or in a positive mood I tend to think better, and when I'm angry I tend to have a harder time thinking. Being angry and being happy are both emotional states. One is conducive to thinking, the other is generally not, although there are exceptions. In either case, thinking is possible while feeling, and vice versa. It is possible for thinking to produce emotional responses, and in fact, reading for pleasure is a fine example of this, as even reading for entertainment requires a certain level of thinking.

You claim intelligence is evil and a curse, but without it humans would be no better off than beasts, and even you must admit that humans require a certain level of intelligence to take care of their basic needs. Where is the IQ ceiling? Should everyone have an IQ of 60 or 70? Without intelligence we wouldn't have modern medicine. We wouldn't have the electric light bulb or refrigeration. Even neanderthals and primitive hunter gatherers had a certain degree of intelligence which allowed them to adapt to their environment, and master it, in order to secure the comfort and safety of themselves and their families/tribes. In order to to have agriculture you must first have the requisite intelligence to create it. It didn't just happen overnight. People got smarter and learned, and due to many factors, intelligence increased, though I suspect the average intelligence of people today isn't much if any higher than peoples' from 2500 years ago - the difference being that more people have access to education today.

I could go on and on, but I won't bother because it isn't worth the time.
    Last edited by Vota; 12-09-2016 at 09:20 AM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Vota View Post
    There is no way I am going to waste time dismantling this piece line by line, but the within the opening lines a statement is made - "The article examines why Writers, Poets and Artists experience more emotion than other people." That is completely subjective, and downright stupid, as it can in no way be proven.
    On the face of it that does sound like nonsense. I wonder what "more emotion" means? There should be a way to measure it so that it can be compared. Writers use their subjectivity to create writings. Readers use their subjectivity to read.

Closed
    This is quite an archaeological find, Vota--surely a steaming pile of crap in 2006 if a mere desiccated turd today. The author's point seems to be that rational thought is wrong because it interferes with his or her fantasies, and that time will bear out this eternal truth. A memorable nugget:

Quote Originally Posted by sushil_yadav View Post
    Stop Education.....Close Down Universities.

Stop Urban Work.....Close Down the Cities.

Do it Now.

A few years later would be too late.
    A decade has now passed, and while a great many urban jobs were lost in the interim, that only increased human suffering. Education was not stopped, although many universities became sinkholes of the very hyperemotionality Sushil was pushing. I imagine...he or she...was merely confused...about punctuation...and Especially Capitalization...and intuitively felt...that environmental degradation must somehow be to blame. Stopping education would have been one way to affirm this: as Sushil says elsewhere, "thinking minds cannot feel." Surely learning to write English correctly would only have worsened things...or will only...would and will are so confusing...ABANDON THE CITIES!
    Last edited by Pompey Bum; 12-09-2016 at 11:51 AM.

LMFAO.

I clearly was not paying attention to the date of the original post.

Desiccated turd for sure!

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5101112131415