Thread: Did anyone guess?

Lightbulb Did anyone guess?

Hi everyone,
    I have one question. Did any of you guess who would betray Winston in the end? Or did any of you even think that Winston and Julia would ever be arrested??? Somehow I think that it was obvious from the beginning that something like that might happen only how and when was unclear. On reading the book for the third time I have noticed a few quite fishy things about Mr Charrington, the way he behaves and what he does to get Winston to start renting the room above the shop. It didn't occur to me at first, but then again, you always notice more at the second or third time, right? Its like he was waiting for him to make a first move into thoughtcrime, sexcrime or other at the time he first entered the shop to buy the diary. For example a very suspicious line is :
    'There's another room upstairs that you might care to take a look at,' he said. 'There's not much in it. Just a few pieces. We'll do with a light if we're going upstairs.'
    Why does he show him the room if there isn't really much inside and why does he show him the picture with the telescreen behind it??? Its flipping obvious!
    If anyone has a comment to that I would be delighted if you would share it!
    W.
    Last edited by 6079 Smith, W; 11-08-2005 at 12:26 PM.

Yeah, I thought Mr. Charrington and O'Brien were too good to be true in a world like Winston's. I first didn't trust Mr. Charrington but when we had a discussion in my class about similarities between charrington and o'brien, that was when it dawned on me. Plus, with the way he said things like "our privilige", made it sound like he definitely devoted to the Party..

Winston was under scrutiny long before that episode; he had been "watched" by thoughtpolice since the night he had that weird dream in which a voice that had said to him, 'We shall meet in the place where there is no darkness' seven years before being taken to the ministry of love. Mr. Charrington was just another member of the thoughtpolice playing along, surely not a prole.
    But you're right, when I first read the book, I did not guess that.
    They were good, the bastards.
    O'Brien was actually very good in his job. wasn't he?

Thumbs up

Yes, O'Brien was very good in the roll of deceiving Winston. But when i first read the book, I indeed thought Julia was part of the thought police, especially after they got together. But when the end came, I was slightly surprised. VERY GOOD BOOK