Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Fifth Gospel

A Fifth Gospel

Former special envoy to the Archbishop of Canterbury, Terry Waite, is to be paid five million pounds to write a fifth gospel, to replace the existing four. He says he has no plans to give any of the money to charity.

A fifth gospel? How does that work exactly? Is he just going to take all the other gospels, pick them apart until he finds what he thinks goes best together, combine them and perhaps add a few other things?

Registered User XXdarkclarityXX's Avatar
    Who's paying this guy? This is a Catholic bishop, no? I'm sure the Pope is going to be in an uproar when he hears about that...what's he gonna call it? Evangelius Pentacus? I guess we'll have to see how this progresses...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by The Unnamable
    Former special envoy to the Archbishop of Canterbury, Terry Waite, is to be paid five million pounds to write a fifth gospel, to replace the existing four. He says he has no plans to give any of the money to charity.
    This is a little unlike you, Unnamable. Normally you explain the signifcance of the theme of your post. Here you're just laying out a fact. I'm not sure what the significance is, except perhaps the hypocrisy?
    LET THERE BE LIGHT

"Love follows knowledge." – St. Catherine of Siena

My literature blog: http://ashesfromburntroses.blogspot.com/

Not politically correct Pendragon's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by The Unnamable
    You're joking, right? I mean the Bible has a verse in Revelations about not adding to or taking away from the Gospel. And this is supposedly sanctioned by who? It staggeres the mind, not that someone would think they could do a better job, but that the the religous community would in anyway agree with this. Whoo-boy!
    Some of us laugh
    Some of us cry
    Some of us smoke
    Some of us lie
    But it's all just the way
    that we cope with our lives...

Wow this is retarded, 'cause i mean im not into the whole god thing alot but ive read most of the bible and im pretty sure that stuff isnt supposed to be added to the gospel considering it is about the life of jesus, and was written by people who were there. So i dont see how someone could wright something any where near to that unless they happened to be around when jesus was.
    "It is not a novel to be thrown aside lightly. It should be thrown aside with great force." - Dorothy Parker

I searched for more news about this, but all I could find was a website reviewing a comedy series called "BrassEye," in which one episode they have Terry Waite writing a fifth gospel. The information is here: http://www.dvdweb.co.uk/new/review.asp?mainID=488 under episode 6.
    And I said: "What is written, sweet sister,
    On the door of this legended tomb?"
    She replied: "Ulalume -Ulalume -
    'Tis the vault of thy lost Ulalume!"

Hi all
    Now let me get this clear, terry waite, a man born of woman is going to Write a gospel, what is he going to do after attribute it to GOD and people will say he was divinely inspired like Mattew, Mark, luke and John.Actually for Terry Waite he has a first and surname but the other 4 are unknowns.so may be he should write in his his Gospel "the Gospel according to Terry".
    Last edited by Scheherazade; 02-01-2006 at 05:38 AM. Reason: off topic flaming

Blog Entries
    Is Waite creating a new gospel from his imagination or is he synthesizing the four into one? I have seen books that layout the sequence of events from all four gospels. Also, the movie, "Jesus of Nazareth" is essentially a synthesis of the four gospels into a single story. It may not all be that unusual.
    LET THERE BE LIGHT

"Love follows knowledge." – St. Catherine of Siena

My literature blog: http://ashesfromburntroses.blogspot.com/

Cool I dunno, I guess its a Blanco

Thats right Blanco. B-L-A-N-C-O. Allow me to rant to you.
    (Serious Winston Churchill like voice.)
    "To those of you who might find this insulting, I can only say this with the most enament feelings of social grace and dignity. RHUBARB." Enjoy.
    Coming to a theatre near khandahar, its the amazing adventures of Zod Zebutnich and his follower Leroy Lamar.
    Seriously, we must pertain to religion, it is our only common stomping grounds.
    Or better yet, colgate all those fears away.
    Ahh the removal of all sin is just a shower away, Religious Soap anyone?
    Or maybe you could spout criticism, about cinnisism, and religionism, or Fezonism.
    Ahh Blackmore, what good show, carried on a penny, carried on a stool, leave it by the church yard, leave it by the pool, lost in the graveyard, lost in the fens, heaven, earth, hell, what a funny ryhme to begin with.
    I remember the months of my youth in Soviet Russia, my uncle Stalin was great man, and we'd often go shooting peasants together.
    Little Jimmy sat dissapointedly in the back of the small bus, eating a banana which to his dissapointment tasted like a banana.
    Enough already you leave me no other choice but to resign my position as Lord Mayor of Humptown in search of something more tangible.
    HOnesTLY I TrY tO CrEaTe Constructive conversation, but you people often so mistake a religious joke for a religous statement

WTF have I been doing, must have been those chiminey chonga demons that control my mind from time to time.
    Anyway love and peace yall, Ralph Nader and the Green Team.
    Shixxzigg
    "Genius always borders on the edges of insanity."
    Last edited by Theshizznigg; 02-07-2006 at 03:35 AM. Reason: Changed Because Of Atheist Dissaproval

a fifth gospel

Quote Originally Posted by XXdarkclarityXX
    Who's paying this guy? This is a Catholic bishop, no? I'm sure the Pope is going to be in an uproar when he hears about that...what's he gonna call it? Evangelius Pentacus? I guess we'll have to see how this progresses...
    Dark Clarity;
    to answer your question since Henry V111 the archbishop of Canterbury has been Anglican and not Catholic.
    The first Anglican archbishop replaced the ordination of priests with a mere prayer and no laying on of hands which had been since Christ Jesus, thus cutting them off from apostolic succession.

Registered User XXdarkclarityXX's Avatar
    Thanks, Rachel. I'm not exactly knowledgable when it comes to Church history.
    Name? Dissent is my name, and it is I who plagues the realm of tranquility in this tangible world which we call life. My identity is that which articulates the nature of my personality. Therefore you may call me dissent. Ahhh the amusement of the intellectually blind! The splendor of those who speak but know not! How the folly of human views have perverted the truth, such a melancholy tale is this! No, there is nothing left now. Merely the remnants of dark clarity.

rat in a strange garret Whifflingpin's Avatar
    It's a spoof It's a spoof It's a spoof - Terry Waite is not writing a fifth gospel - It's a spoof It's a spoof - Wot is it? It's a spooooof.

Oh, Rachel, laying on of hands is, and has always been, part of the rite of ordaining priests and consecrating bishops in the Anglican church. Apostolic succession is claimed by Anglicans. I believe that the validity of Anglican orders is acknowledged by the Holy See (not of course that Anglicans would worry if it were not.)

Voices mysterious far and near,
    Sound of the wind and sound of the sea,
    Are calling and whispering in my ear,
    Whifflingpin! Why stayest thou here?

a fifth gospel

Quote Originally Posted by XXdarkclarityXX
    Thanks, Rachel. I'm not exactly knowledgable when it comes to Church history.
    you are very welcome.
    you know what I would like to see, sorry to digress, I would like to see you do a volume of poetry darkclarity. and I would love to illustrate it, all dark and light and swirls and cosmic twinkles interspersed. I have never read anyone in my life that sounds less mortal in my life.

the fifth gospel

Quote Originally Posted by Whifflingpin
    It's a spoof It's a spoof It's a spoof - Terry Waite is not writing a fifth gospel - It's a spoof It's a spoof - Wot is it? It's a spooooof.

Oh, Rachel, laying on of hands is, and has always been, part of the rite of ordaining priests and consecrating bishops in the Anglican church. Apostolic succession is claimed by Anglicans. I believe that the validity of Anglican orders is acknowledged by the Holy See (not of course that Anglicans would worry if it were not.)

you are probably far more knowledgable than me on modern things, I was merely giving the historical facts as seem to be laid out in many different books. I remember praying day after tedious day for Terry Waite, determined that he should not go the way of the other hostages. Noone agreed with me that he would make it , just as no one agreed with me that Nelson Mandella would be set free. But when I hear God speak to my heart to keep praying over a thing I am very stubborn. A friend of mine couldn't have anymore children, the ones she had were all boys and a couple had been born after that with only partial skulls and died. I kept hearing in my heart to pray a daughter for her.She had had surgery so she could not have anymore children. For over eight years I prayed and I got told off as being an insensitive idiot. But at last her little girl was born. She is in kindergarten now and I smile when I think of that. So I really rejoiced at Terry's release.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast