Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast

Thread: William Faulkner

avatar by John Pickman Wendigo_49's Avatar
    Congratulations. I also had a tough time but found Light in August to be one of the most enjoyable books to read.
    If you hate a person, you hate something in him that is part of yourself. What isn't part of ourselves doesn't disturb us.

Hermann Hesse
    Demian

behind the sky on the other side of the rain
    You guys are making me want to read A Light in August now
    "Deep in the fundamental heart of mind and universe...there is a reason."

- Douglas Adams

Blog Entries
    I liked As I Lay Dying, because there's lots of little things that aren't said straight forward and you sort of have to figure out what's going on. Light in August was good, too. Joe Christmas was a fascinating guy.
    '...A cast of your skull, sir, until the original is available, would be an ornament to any anthropological museum. It is not my intention to be fulsome, but I confess that I covet your skull.' --Dr. Mortimer, The Hound of the Baskervilles

no, you are a seeker and are to be applauded. think how much you will know while still very young that can impact your and other's lives making them more beautiful.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by higley
    I liked As I Lay Dying, because there's lots of little things that aren't said straight forward and you sort of have to figure out what's going on. Light in August was good, too. Joe Christmas was a fascinating guy.
    Higley - You might want to read The Sound and the Fury. It may be the April book for the book forum and it should be a great discussion. If you want to read along, you can vote for it in the poll and if it's selected I would like to hear your comments, especially since you've read Faulkner before.
    LET THERE BE LIGHT

"Love follows knowledge." – St. Catherine of Siena

My literature blog: http://ashesfromburntroses.blogspot.com/

Pièce de Résistance Scheherazade's Avatar
    I am re-reading As I Lay Dying after 13 years, first one being one of the worst experiences of my career as a reader! Needless to say, greater part of my dislike was due to my lack of understanding of the novel... And now, although I have read only 1/3 of the book yet, I am very glad and relieved to realise that it was mainly due to the fact that my English was not 'mature' enough at the time to appreciate the intricacies of the story line and Faulkner's language. 13 years and some considerable brewing later, I am even able to enjoy the book although there are still parts I have to read multiple times or skip because it is kind of a blur.

Looking forward to reading TSATF with the Book Club as well (Which Book Are You? Quiz reckons TSATF sums me up!)
    Last edited by Scheherazade; 03-26-2006 at 08:41 PM.
    ~
    "It is not that I am mad; it is only that my head is different from yours.”
    ~

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Scheherazade
    I am re-reading As I Lay Dying after 13 years, first one being one of the worst experiences of my career as a reader! Needless to say, greater part of my dislike was due to my lack of understanding of the novel... And now, although I have read only 1/3 of the book yet, I am very glad and relieved to realise that it was mainly due to the fact that my English was not 'mature' enough at the time to appreciate the intricacies of the story line and Faulkner's language. 13 years and some considerable brewing later, I am even able to enjoy the book although there are still parts I have to read multiple times or skip because it is kind of a blur.

Looking forward to reading TSATF with the Book Club as well (Which Book Are You? Quiz reckons TSATF sums me up!)

I understand completely. There were so many parts of that book where I just had to re-read a paragraph and focus hard on every word to make sure I understood just what the heck was going on. Often I found something I missed during the first time reading it.

...I just took that quiz, Scher, and it tells me I'm Huckleberry Finn. :P I've got a straw hat in the closet, somewhere.
    '...A cast of your skull, sir, until the original is available, would be an ornament to any anthropological museum. It is not my intention to be fulsome, but I confess that I covet your skull.' --Dr. Mortimer, The Hound of the Baskervilles

Pièce de Résistance Scheherazade's Avatar
    I understand completely. There were so many parts of that book where I just had to re-read a paragraph and focus hard on every word to make sure I understood just what the heck was going on. Often I found something I missed during the first time reading it.
    I might consider reading it one more time in the hope that things might get clearer for me. You know how the saying goes:

You can take the girl out of the ESOL class but you can't take the ESOL out of the girl!

~
    "It is not that I am mad; it is only that my head is different from yours.”
    ~

I think that I should try Faulkner now.
    I sang of leaves, of leaves of gold, and leaves of gold there grew.

I started reading The Sound and the Fury today, even though it's not April quite yet. It's so much easier to understand the second time around. Starting with the basic knowledge of the timeline, characters, and plot, I can actually pay attention to the writing technique. The first time it was like, "Wait... the story changed again. Now what's going on? Who's this person? Where am I? I hate you, Faulkner!"
    If you had to live with this you'd rather lie than fall.
    You think I can't fly? Well, you just watch me!

~The Dresden Dolls

I must be retarded, because everytime I read it gets more difficult.

I just finished reading As I Lay Dying as well, and had the exact same experience. It was veyr rewarding, though.
    "A man can live and be healthy without killing animals for food; therefore, if he eats meat he participates in taking animal life merely for the sake of his appetite. And to act so is immoral." -Leo Tolstoy

I'm curious Ryuduce, how old are you?

i've read the sound and the fury and really enjoyed it... hopefully i'll read as i lay dying over the summer

I'm 17.This thread is kind of old though.Since then I've read 4 Faulkner novels,and I'm on my fifth right now.

They're still hard as crap.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryduce

Yeh it was awesome.

I suppose it's a really something to read all Faulkner's works; I mean you celebrated it with 7 bananas

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast