Thread: any suggestions?

Question any suggestions?

hi
    I was assigned to read 1984 for english class, and I am having a test on it this week. I was told that the test regards mostly the matters of "the book" and doublethink/doubletalk. I do understand doublethink (you can leave some thoughts about that if desired) but I really feel that "the book" section of the story was the hardest to understand. I can tell that it basically outlines the ways of Big Brother and the wars between the three states, but i was hoping maybe someone can make it a bit easier to understand. I mean, I'm a freshman in highschool and I'm really not used to reading books like this. I do understand the process of the Party etc, but i just need help with "the book". If anyone has any input it would be greatly appreciated. thanks
    -erika

Only one way to get used to reading "books like these", read them. You may even enjoy them. At the end of the day, I'm sure that your teachers are looking for you to show them that you have read the book and gleaned some understanding from it, not that you have "the right answer".

Registered User XXdarkclarityXX's Avatar
    I'm a freshman in highschool and I'm really not used to reading books like this.
    The fact that you ARE reading things like this at your age means you'll be that much more ready when tougher reading assignments come your way. My suggestions? Read the parts you don't understand more than once...it helps, trust me! In your case, go over Goldstein's book (actually formulated by O' Brien, by the way) and reread the different parts. Look up words if you have to, reread things aloud, whatever it takes. Are the concepts in the book hard to understand? Yup. Is it worth understanding them? Definately. Put in the effort, and things will seem a lot clearer to you a lot faster. Good luck and happy reading.

yes i really do find these books quite enjoyable. I have read and re-read the parts about "the book" over and over. I do understand the process, so I'm sure I'll be fine. And in response to Xamonas Chegwe, we had a book discussion in class today and my teacher was impressed with my understanding of it. so hopefully it'll go well.
    thank you both for responding
    Last edited by vermillion; 01-23-2006 at 07:15 PM.

You're welcome.