Thread: AUTHORS and WRITERR!! plz answer my question...

AUTHORS and WRITERR!! plz answer my question...

while doing my research, ive got a question to ask people about...

is MAGICAL REALISM under the category of characterization?? or is it a totally differnt literary technique from the characterization...

As far as i know the meaning of the term "characterization"; it is a method in which authors use to tell about the characters... The many methods are depiction (describing the character), Dialogues (what characters do/are made to say), and their actions all around other characters-either minor or major-as well as their reactions....

I also wanna know the different isms that are known as literary techniques-like surrealism, magic realism, stuff like that and their simple definitions- under the category of characterization

Though I cannot really help you with your issue, I felt the urge to reply: Please try to spell correctly. Expressions like "plz" or neglecting caps is not what an author should apply in whatever he or she is writing.

However, www.wikipedia.org (exactly: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magical_realism) gives a very good explanation of "Magical Realism", along with some examples and a collection of authors.

Greetings and good luck in finding the answer to your issue.
    A poem's never finished - it's just put aside. -Paul Valerie

yes, that's me, your friendly Moderator 💚 Logos's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Here is a great overview and definitions site from Arizona State university

http://www.public.asu.edu/~aarios/re...k/definitions/
    Forum » Rules » FAQ » Tags » Blogs » Groups » Quizzes » e-Texts »
    📚 📚 📒 📓 📙 📘 📖 ✍🏻 📔 📒 📗 📒 📕 📚 📚 📚 📚 📚 📚 📚

I can not answer your entire question but as regards Magical Realism I may be able to shed some light on the subject. If my memory is accurate, and that is a topic for another time, Magical Realism...take a look at Marquez's work One Hundred Years of Solitude...(I am thinking outloud here)...the magic in Magical Realism is not the same as what you will find in Fantasy literature such as The Lord Of The Rings or Science Fiction such as Dune or The Foundation series. I believe that it is a technique that arose out of Latin American literature and is connected to the history, culture and societal beliefs of that region and peoples. The "Magical" part may involve a dog that only barks on the 3rd Sunday of July but the "Realism" is that a) it is not utterly imposible and b) the "Magic" is, in part, a byproduct of the specific culture's belief system. Perhaps, in this case, the 3rd Sunday has religious importance. If you look at the US...the whole idea that an object touched by a celebrity has value...that is actually a rather magical belief. In truth the object has not changed at all...it is simply the case that we have given meaning to the object because of shared beliefs and values that are widely held. Magical Realism is, in a sense, anthroplogical rather then purely magical.
    Well...those are my thoughts...take them with a grain of salt...but one grain can sometimes come in handy

Quote Originally Posted by adam_Smith View Post
    is MAGICAL REALISM under the category of characterization?? or is it a totally differnt literary technique from the characterization...

As far as i know the meaning of the term "characterization"; it is a method in which authors use to tell about the characters... The many methods are depiction (describing the character), Dialogues (what characters do/are made to say), and their actions all around other characters-either minor or major-as well as their reactions....

I also wanna know the different isms that are known as literary techniques-like surrealism, magic realism, stuff like that and their simple definitions- under the category of characterization
    Logos provided a great resource in defining magical realism. Here, from Wikipedia, is a definition of "characterization":

Characterization
    is the process of creating characters in fiction, often those who are different from and have different beliefs than the author. A writer can assume the point of view of a child, an older person, a member of the opposite gender, someone of another race or culture, or anyone who isn't like them in personality or otherwise.

Thorough characterization makes characters well-rounded and complex even though the writer may not be like the character or share his or her attitudes and beliefs. This allows for a sense of realism. For example, according to F.R. Leavis, Leo Tolstoy was the creator of some of the most complex and psychologically believable characters in fiction.

Characterization can involve developing a variety of aspects of a character, such as appearance, age, gender, educational level, vocation or occupation, financial status, marital status, social status, hobbies, sexual orientation, religious beliefs, ambitions, motivations, etc. According to the Shreklisch Onion Layer Model, the psychological makeup of a fully developed storybook character involves fears, emotions, back-story, issues, beliefs, practices, desires, and intentions. Often these can be shown through the actions and language of the character, rather than by telling the reader directly.

Magical realism is not "under" the category of characterization. And, I am not aware of any "isms" that are. It seems whenever/wherever you have characters, you will be describing them which is the act of characterization. You have characters in magical realist pieces, yet, they usually aren't as "real" (or perhaps they are more real) as your realist authors describe.

Hope that helps!
    "I have so often dreamed of you that you become unreal." ~ Robert Desnos