Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Valentine's Day Reading Nominations

Now that would be telling it, wouldnt it?
    Blog Entries
    hey wait thats a good idea irish how a bout a narritive poem?
    but not an enormous one like TThe fall of hyperion or endimion how about Isabella or the pot of Basil by keats?
    Or Lamia?
    Or somthing similar?? I dont mean keats butas you see Im only familiar really with his poems, I mean of similar length

Last edited by Nightshade; 01-21-2006 at 04:29 AM.
    My mission in life is to make YOU smile
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The time has come," the Walrus said,"To talk of many things:

Forum Rules- You know you want to read 'em

|Litnet Challange status = 5/260
    |currently reading

I would like to nominate Lolita by Nabokov.

Pièce de Résistance Scheherazade's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Virgil
    Lolita? For St V Day? I'm sure it's a good novel (I haven't read it) but its supposed to be physical attraction (I wouldn't call it love, others perhaps might) between a middle aged man and a twelve year old girl.
    Many argue that R&J was a teen crush went awry... Did they really find 'true love' within minutes of meeting each other?

Did Cleopatra really love Antony or was she actually using him to realise her political agenda? How about Antony? Did he actually care about her or was he simply too darn happy to get Julius' 'woman' away from him?

I know Lolita is a controversial choice but don't feel like reading 'traditional' love stories. Love is not always the grand thang it is made out to be... and people call different things 'love' and some of these do not match the usual defition. The whole St V Day's thing is a little over the top, in my personal opinion anyway - but this is not the place to discuss this

It is only one of the nominations and we will after all read the book which wins the poll If we end up reading it, we will have a chance to discuss the book, which does not necessarily mean that we agree with its content.

As for reading for a short story and/or poems... Since this is a book club, I think we should stick with 'books' but maybe Night would be kind enough to arrange another Live Read for the St V?
    Last edited by Scheherazade; 01-22-2006 at 11:25 AM.
    ~
    "It is not that I am mad; it is only that my head is different from yours.”
    ~

may I propose Boris Vian's "The Foam of the Days"? It's a beautiful love story in surrealist writing
    However, on amazon I found it as "The Foam of the Daze" (?!) and one of my fellow Romanians, I see, considered the English translation rather poor, after having read it in French (the original) also.

Anyway, it's one of the most touching love stories I have ever read and it literally brought tears to my eyes. Not to mention the stunning images and the metaphors adorning the writing from beginning to end.

So please consider it.

ps - I vote NO for Lolita. I read it in school, I saw one movie, the subject already makes me sick. Imho, it's not a love story, it's the story of an obsession, not to mention the grown-man-seducing-the-immature-underage-girl theme. I don't like it.
    On the same subject, you could also read Marquez's "Memory of My Melancholy Whores" some of the descriptions in there could count as really beautiful had they not been about a decrepit old man and a 14-year old girl

Now you can start throwing stones
    not entirely sane and damn proud of it

:)

I always wanted to read Lolita but never got to it, so I would vote for it. My other suggestion would be "The story of Layla and Majnun" by Nizami...

Quote Originally Posted by Amra
    I always wanted to read Lolita but never got to it, so I would vote for it. My other suggestion would be "The story of Layla and Majnun" by Nizami...
    I have read Laila And Majnun. Is it's translation in English available now a days?
    I sang of leaves, of leaves of gold, and leaves of gold there grew.

Pièce de Résistance Scheherazade's Avatar
    I will change my nomination as I am getting Lolita from the Library tomorrow and I don't think I can wait till the voting is over to read it!

My new nomination is Possession: A Romance by A.S. Byatt (A Booker Prize winner - 1990)

Nominations so far:

Romeo and Juliet by Shakespeare

Antony and Cleopatra by Shakespeare

The Foam of the Daze by Boris Vian

Layla and Majnun by Nizami

Possession by A.S. Byatt
    ~
    "It is not that I am mad; it is only that my head is different from yours.”
    ~

yes, that's me, your friendly Moderator 💚 Logos's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Possession was made into a movie

Book and movie are excellent! (though I think Paltrow is tediously over-acting) but if you love history, romance, poetry, mystery, adventure.. it's a great read, for me one of those books I wished would never end
    Forum » Rules » FAQ » Tags » Blogs » Groups » Quizzes » e-Texts »
    📚 📚 📒 📓 📙 📘 📖 ✍🏻 📔 📒 📗 📒 📕 📚 📚 📚 📚 📚 📚 📚

Maybe Bram Stoker - Dracula; Beneth the surface it is a beutiful love story...

Valentine's Day reading nominations

Quote Originally Posted by LightShade
    may I propose Boris Vian's "The Foam of the Days"? It's a beautiful love story in surrealist writing
    However, on amazon I found it as "The Foam of the Daze" (?!) and one of my fellow Romanians, I see, considered the English translation rather poor, after having read it in French (the original) also.

Anyway, it's one of the most touching love stories I have ever read and it literally brought tears to my eyes. Not to mention the stunning images and the metaphors adorning the writing from beginning to end.

So please consider it.

ps - I vote NO for Lolita. I read it in school, I saw one movie, the subject already makes me sick. Imho, it's not a love story, it's the story of an obsession, not to mention the grown-man-seducing-the-immature-underage-girl theme. I don't like it.
    On the same subject, you could also read Marquez's "Memory of My Melancholy Whores" some of the descriptions in there could count as really beautiful had they not been about a decrepit old man and a 14-year old girl

Now you can start throwing stones
    No throwing stones here. I have worked with several of these little girls who have had such relationships, they have lost their boundaries, there faith in th e protection of older men toward them as still growing children. The horror of it leaves me broken and very tired as I remember the tears, the grief and the many steps backward until they could begin to get well. To me that is not romance, it is pure evil.

I agree, Rachel. I know in my head that it's a very well-written book, but I can't get around the... you said it best; the pure evil of it. I am usually one to be fascinated by studies of traditionally unsympathetic characters, but Lolita is too graphic for me. There are some things to which I'm just not willing to subject myself again.
    Last edited by emily655321; 01-25-2006 at 01:19 PM.
    If you had to live with this you'd rather lie than fall.
    You think I can't fly? Well, you just watch me!

~The Dresden Dolls

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12