Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 51

Thread: The proles

  1. #16
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    6
    Well first of your right the proles could do damage, but they are uneducated and have no leader. I don't think that they know any better as to what life could be . Plus without a leader the revolt would probably fall apart. An inner party or outer party member could lead the proles to a revolt I think, but the proles are un educAted so a revolt would be hard.

  2. #17
    The Yodfather Stanislaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    The little Italy of Dagobah
    Posts
    4,394
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by The Kid 11
    Well first of your right the proles could do damage, but they are uneducated and have no leader. I don't think that they know any better as to what life could be . Plus without a leader the revolt would probably fall apart. An inner party or outer party member could lead the proles to a revolt I think, but the proles are un educAted so a revolt would be hard.
    The proles are unaware of the inner workings of the party, and for the most part live life as they always have, and since big brother doesnt really enforce the same rules that are inforced amongst the party memebers the proles have no reason to react...It is for the same reason that today people do not react on mass to their government, for the most part, the government has no immediat impact on their day to day life.

    ---------------
    Stanislaw Lem
    1921 - 2006, Rest In Peace.
    "Faith is, at one and the same time, absolutely necessary and altogether impossible"

  3. #18
    Registered User mangamagna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    14
    i remeber when the 9/11 attack happened. When Bush went in there and made all those wonderfull speaches about fighting terrorism and all that bull, he was a BB to us all. He seemed to have all the answers, know all the suspects, and have all the solutions. he even made us believe that with the patriot act, we would be safer. At that time, i being an ignorant 13 yr old with middle school education thought "hey, whatever it takes to catch those terrorists". I hadnt even thought of them using that same act to be able to spy on me. The Proles were poor, couldnt afford higher education and their only source of info was the Party. They were drunk and lived on a day-to-day basis. they didnt have to worry about thoughtcrime and all that, nor telescreens. a revolt for them was not the first or most pressing thing on their minds since they wouldnt even concieve it. so i hope that helps answer the why they wouldnt revolt. because they were innocent-minded, brainwashed with propaganda, had very little education, awareness or "no comparison of lifestyle", and simply weren't motivated to that extent.
    "If I trip, I will fall and, I will get back up." Self-quote

  4. #19
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    27
    No kidding.

    Because your in government, the US political system states that you are untouchable iif you are the president. It's a flaw in the system, but the people don't have the ability to do anything about it.

    PS: There's an election in Canada today. If the Tories win, George Dubya will be reallly pleased.

  5. #20
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    3
    the proles are too unconscious to ever realize that they can actually overpower Big Brother. As Winston states, "But if there was hope, it lay in the proles". But they are in too much of a stupor. They accept Big Brother's demands, statements, ideas, etc. It is true that many of them probably know that bad things are going on, it's likely that many of them are 'doublethinkers'. But they are too afraid, like Wandering Poet said. They don't come together because they are just too scared. I'm beginning to think that the wars aren't even real. They were made to scare the proles into never stirring trouble. They are taught to live in fear. o_o... freaky.

  6. #21
    Adam
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Featherstone, Yorkshire, United Kingdom
    Posts
    5
    I think the proles simply do not understand that life can be better. They have been brainwashed into believing that life has never been different. And because they do not remember a time when they had a more worthwhile existence, they have no desire to pursue it.

  7. #22
    The Yodfather Stanislaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    The little Italy of Dagobah
    Posts
    4,394
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by WilfulSunbeam
    I think the proles simply do not understand that life can be better. They have been brainwashed into believing that life has never been different. And because they do not remember a time when they had a more worthwhile existence, they have no desire to pursue it.
    The proles are very much a representation of the average citizen of the world...they may know something bad is going on, but they won't do anything about it...after all "what can one person do?"

    ---------------
    Stanislaw Lem
    1921 - 2006, Rest In Peace.
    "Faith is, at one and the same time, absolutely necessary and altogether impossible"

  8. #23
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    4
    I NEED HELP
    i need to answer this question in a pargraph!
    What would winstons job be called today?
    he changes the truth into lies and information that is good for Big Brother..so what kind of job would that be today!? help me please! i dont know how to post this on my page??

  9. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by WanderingPoet
    ...like the people of 1984, americans too live in a world of fear. Those who give up their essential liberties for temporary safety, deserve neither safety nor liberty.
    The actual quote is closer to "A People who would sacrifice Liberty for Security deserve neither and will lose both."

    There are so many passages in this book that are eloquently chilling about how the individual's innate need and inborn Will to find a day-to-day way to cope with functioning in the Society he is born into can be guided and formed by what that Society teaches should be taken for granted. If a Society, through the workings of it's "shaping of history" can instill a sense that agreement with authority should be taken for granted, Historical memory can be made as plastic as serves that Society's purpose of the moment. The "mythical Little man" is then officially a Prole... each and every one...who's Life's toil, once passed and totalled, amounts to a drop of oil lubricating the operation of the machine which that Society has grown to be. Once a point is reached, first with each individual then collectively with the "motive majority" of a People, where most any shmuck dressed in a white lab coat (or a suit with a red tie and an American flag lapel pin) or any floating head on a field of phosphorus (or disembodied voice of intolerance over a set of headphones), can tell you what to eat, drink, wear, buy, love and/or kill and you take it for granted, then you can be taken for granted to walk off whatever Social lemming-ledge your citizenship in Fascism-, Communism-, Fundamentalism-, Bohemianism-, or SteetSmart-land requires of you.
    The Proles are not oppressed because they are kept drugged and drunk, they stay drunk because they have nothing on their minds to worry about that feels better than stupor. And that basic Skinner-esque Behaviorism (look it up! ) situation always and only gets acheived through a selective combination of nutrition and education. Their revolt is not inevitable, and is actually more than unlikely. Until the pain of fearing to change becomes greater than the ongoing pain of remaining in the status quo, the Pained will persevere and be guided by bizniz as usual. So too, with historical memory, as Victories become Holidays and failures fade and are forgotten.

  10. #25
    An off the cuff thought: I think that point is that the proles lack class consciousness - the precursor to this, the intellectual van guard that is necessary for revolution, is an impossibility in '1984'.

  11. #26
    kwizera mir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Albano Laziale, Italy / Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    1,199
    Blog Entries
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by lilbabe
    I NEED HELP
    i need to answer this question in a pargraph!
    What would winstons job be called today?
    he changes the truth into lies and information that is good for Big Brother..so what kind of job would that be today!? help me please! i dont know how to post this on my page??
    a lawyer? historian?

    no, just kidding! : )

    actually, it could be a historian . . . the winners write the history; or somebody that spreads propaganda, becasue that's making truth into lies. anyone in the public information sector brings their own opinion to stuff, and that's coloring the truth if not changing to completely. you're right, i think there's a name for it, but i don't remember it . . .
    No day but today



    -God is real, unless proclaimed integer-

  12. #27

    the problem is eudcational

    quothing from the book.

    'the problem is educational' in a sence it is true. all the revolution that took place in the last centrury was due to the augmentaion of the knwoledge of the citizen by the educations. they have learned better things, philosophy (indirectly from the text they read) and the way of life.

    it is said that prole are same as the animal. though they are free, there is no need of, or responsible of the party to educate them nor proles are interested in them.

    just in case party set up the system preventing those actions from the begginig.. there are thought police putting eyes on the outer party who is capable of thinking.

    they keep proles happy with the lottery, over look proles with getting the outer party stuff such as gin. as the gov controls the informations and the media, there is nothing to compare with there lifestyle

  13. #28
    big mac and a diet coke
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    4

    Cool

    the proles could have the power to revolt big brother but they are uneducated and unaware of the whole situation. The proles are distracted by Big Brother in many ways throughout the book!! Therefore don't have a reason to revolt:

  14. #29
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    im watching you right now....
    Posts
    24
    The proles want to believe in Big Brother. They willingly believe in the advancements that the party claims to have made not because they are stupid but because they don't want to have to worry about it. By revolting they would be vaporized, so it is safest to give in to the brainwashing and allow themselves to believe in the less painful lies. This is common human nature, and hard to even be consciously aware of. Sometimes we choose to ignore the truth because the truth is too difficult to deal with.

  15. #30
    Machiavellian. Enjoi.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    In the blind spots of your vision.
    Posts
    128
    Quote Originally Posted by jellolover07 View Post
    The proles want to believe in Big Brother. They willingly believe in the advancements that the party claims to have made not because they are stupid but because they don't want to have to worry about it. By revolting they would be vaporized, so it is safest to give in to the brainwashing and allow themselves to believe in the less painful lies. This is common human nature, and hard to even be consciously aware of. Sometimes we choose to ignore the truth because the truth is too difficult to deal with.
    Once again jello i disagree. I don't believe fear is the main factor in the Proles' loyalty. Ignorance and fear are what fuel this. Fear is the more obvious of the two and as i have said before "the textbook answer". Winston later in the book, after Julia suggests it, thinks that the bombings may in fact not be from Eurasia, but instead the Party itself. That and vaporizations are the element of fear. The ignorance is how Big Brother keep them distracted and occupied. Using the lotto for a distraction, Pornosec as a distraction, alcohol as a distraction, and so on. One very important part of the book is where Winston believes he is not a real person. He is almost created. The Proles are the real people and they act that way.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 10-24-2010, 12:59 PM
  2. Proles
    By Comrade Amiee in forum 1984
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 01-09-2006, 12:02 AM
  3. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 01-07-2006, 05:00 PM
  4. What is this world going to come to?
    By studentofcharb in forum 1984
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-07-2005, 07:16 PM
  5. proles
    By kate in forum 1984
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-24-2005, 06:07 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •