Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nicholas Sparks is the Devil

Blog Entries

Nicholas Sparks is the Devil

I knew it! I found a sample of his work (about 10 pages worth) and ran it through my readability statistics and his work came up on a 2.1 reading grade level - which means my son who is 10 could easily master it with his eyes closed.

And he's a best-selling author. What are we to do? Where are the geniuses of our day? I fear the quick decline of literature...

Countess
    Madness is my defense against Reality.

Well, I knew he was an easy read, but I like him because of that. I don't like reading difficult books all the time...
    "Hear and you forget; see and you remember; do and you understand."

I always thought that the devil was supposed to be a brilliant orator and master of lies. Are you sure this guy isn't just some minor imp or demon? I can't see him beguiling the likes of Dr Faustus with a 10 year old's vocabulary.

weer mijn koekjestrommel Schokokeks's Avatar
    But hey, at least he keeps providing me with relatively cheap paperbacks that I can give give to my friend as a present for birthday or Christmas. She says she likes being brought to tears by reading Mr Sparks' stories of 'true love'. So be it!
    "Where mind meets matter, both should woo!"
    Currently reading:
    * Paradise Lost by John Milton

Blog Entries
    It's not his vocabulary that irks me so much as his sentence structure:

The sun set. The dog ran over to the tree. The tree was green. The dog peed on the tree. The tree turned brown.

He is the master of the simple sentence. He ought to write a book about it, but it would be 400 pages of simple sentences.
    Madness is my defense against Reality.

Voice of Chaos & Anarchy
    In one of the branches of the multiverse, but I don't know which one.
    Blog Entries
    Sentence structure reflects the way that the writer thinks: simple sentences reflect simple thoughts.

I have never been able to get my readability grade level lower than 7 or 8. A 2.1 is truly staggering. Most second graders write at higher levels than that.
    Last edited by PeterL; 01-05-2006 at 09:46 PM. Reason: typo

Im curious as to how that test worked. How do you actually test the readability level of a 10 pg excerpt?

Quote Originally Posted by Countess
    What are we to do? Where are the geniuses of our day?
    *Starrwriter holds up his hand and waves it*

Never heard of Nicholas Sparks, but if he's devilish, I'll bet his friends call him Sparky.

Don't take his success too hard. John Saul can barely write a complete sentence that's comprehensible and he lives in a multi-million-dollar mansion on the beach on Maui, purchased with the proceeds of his so-called novels.

Meanwhile, many talented writers never get published or can't quit their day jobs because of the piddling money they make even if they do get published. I blame the lousy tastes of the reading public. We are casting pearls before swine.

Then dawns the Invisible Psycheinaboat's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I wonder if there really is a "dumbing down" of society taking place. All the theories I have heard about this sound so conspiratus, but if you look at what children were reading fifty or one hundred years ago compared with today, well, it raises questions.

Perhaps this explains why some of the most popular authors offer such poor works. They are writing for their audience, and it takes less talent to impress the current majority.

I tried to read Sparks once, but after a couple of pages I found him too maudlin for my taste. Bet he watches Touched by an Angel.
    If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal.
    - Emma Goldman

He's a master of the armchair mid-life lovey dovey sickeningly sweet pseudo tearjerker, pandering to a specific audience and reaping the dividends of his canny business sense.

But...

I'll always have a soft spot in my heart for Sparks because of 'A Walk To Remember'.

Society hundred years ago was far more bigoted, racist, misogynistic and religious cloistered than it is today. A lot of this is also reflected in the literature of the respective eras.

The diversity of the reading audience means that authors can make a decent living by producing works limited in scope and catering to the needs of specialized niches. The whole phenomenon of commerical genre's is a direct consequence of that.

Well put EAP.

Although I fear that bigotry, racism, misogyny and religious fanaticism still have more of a hold than we like to admit, even in the so-called, civilised West and certainly beyond it.

I too have a soft spot for Mr Sparks and his like. It's on the beach at Morecambe Bay, just past the sign saying, "Beware Quicksand!!"

Quote Originally Posted by Psycheinaboat
    I wonder if there really is a "dumbing down" of society taking place. All the theories I have heard about this sound so conspiratus, but if you look at what children were reading fifty or one hundred years ago compared with today, well, it raises questions.
    Here's an interesting article on that: http://www.upi.com/NewsTrack/view.ph...1-094046-4275r

The Sunday Times sent novels by Nobel Prize winner VS Naipaul and Booker Prize winner Malcolm Middleton to 20 publishers and agents under pseudonyms. Not ONE of them thought they were worth publishing. Meanwhile, Dan Brown can buy Bolivia with the loose change in his pocket.

(Whaddyaknow, my first post and I'm already whining about Dan Brown. But thanks for the warning about Sparks.)
    But the time ain't tall, yet on time you depend
    And no word is possessed by no special friend
    And though the line is cut it ain't quite the end,
    I'll just bid farewell till we meet again.
    - Bob Dylan

yes, that's me, your friendly Moderator 💚 Logos's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    You're joking, right?

Look at the Fox `news' network, look at their content and formatting. Look at `reality' teevee.

Look at how popular technological `communication' devices are among younger and younger people, ie: PDA's, Blackberrys, cell phones, `text speak' being what the majority of some people use to `communicate' with friends whilst incurring repetetive injury to their thumb ligaments. People don't even have to type properly anymore.

The further and further away people get from thinking for themselves, for finding out their own anwers instead of from the gubbmint, for questioning sources of information, the more the brain atrophies.

While I'm not gonna get political here, check out Mark Crispin Miller's The Bush Dyslexicon. Its a sad comment on popular culture as to how much credence a majority gives to someone who is less than `brilliant' intellectually.

Quote Originally Posted by Psycheinaboat

Perhaps this explains why some of the most popular authors offer such poor works. They are writing for their audience, and it takes less talent to impress the current majority.

I tried to read Sparks once, but after a couple of pages I found him too maudlin for my taste. Bet he watches Touched by an Angel.
    Forum » Rules » FAQ » Tags » Blogs » Groups » Quizzes » e-Texts »
    📚 📚 📒 📓 📙 📘 📖 ✍🏻 📔 📒 📗 📒 📕 📚 📚 📚 📚 📚 📚 📚

You know, the best books of the times right now are what, "Harry Potter"? I wouldn't exactly call that a literary great. Her books tend to be poorly written in my opinon. But, everyone thinks that she is so great because she is getting children in a world of television and computers, reading. Does it really matter if children are reading classic fiction with complicated sentence structure, or is it just important that they are reading? Same with adults, does it matter if they are reading Dickens instead of being a couch potato, or is it just good that someone will sit down with a good romance novel. I think that in todays society, there are many more things to do than read a novel. So, if one author can cause a person to take a break from their couch potato ways, than quotos to them. It is better than them not reading at all.
    "Hear and you forget; see and you remember; do and you understand."

Kiwi,

You advocate reading as another form of entertainment - which it is - and just like television, movies and computers, there's "couch potato" reading and there's reading which broadens the mind and stretches the imagination, makes the reader think for themselves and offers insights.

Both have their place in the world but I know which I prefer. And I know which category Sparks falls into.

And Harry Potter is not the best literature being written now (at least in my opinion - the best children's book perhaps) but I would dispute your claims that it is poorly written. If a cynical 43 year old like me can read and enjoy the books as well as a 9 year old that has never read a book because they wanted to before, JK must be doing something right.

There are many excellent, intelligent writers in the world right now, producing great books that deserve to be the 'classics' of the next century. Check out Salman Rushdie, Milan Kundera, Hanif Kureishi as examples.

Sparks books have their uses - door-stops and an alternative to firewood being just 2.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast