Thread: God Bless You All- I Need Assistance

God Bless You All- I Need Assistance

How Do I Approach this question? What does it mean 'the truth about subjectivity?

please help!

Take an example of a film or novel and discuss the way the TRUTH

about subjectivity is constructed in the work

Just another nerd RobinHood3000's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    This is just a guess, but I take it as asking about how point of view is utilized, and how the points of view of different characters influence their perception.
    Por una cabeza
    Si ella me olvida
    Qué importa perderme
    Mil veces la vida
    Para qué vivir

Voice of Chaos & Anarchy
    In one of the branches of the multiverse, but I don't know which one.
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Maljackson
    How Do I Approach this question? What does it mean 'the truth about subjectivity?

please help!

Take an example of a film or novel and discuss the way the TRUTH

about subjectivity is constructed in the work
    The way that the question is posed makes it very open ended, but I take it that you are looking for a good example from fiction where a character's subjectivity is fundamental to the work and may or may not be an accurate reflection of reality. If that is how it should be understood, then "Pale Fire" by V. Nabokov would be an excellent example. The reader is not told what the real situation is, but the narrator is presented as absorbed in his own subjective world.

If you're looking for examples about truth/subjectivity etc. I would recommend "A History of the World in 10 1/2 Chapters" by Julian Barnes, I think it's one of the most obvious examples of how "truth" is constructed from a subjective point of view and a good read anyway. Other novels would be "The French Lieutenant's Woman" by John Fowles, "Money" by Martin Amis or "Possession" by A.S. Byatt. As for movies, there is "Memento" as a very good example, I'd say.
    Does that have anything to do with postmodernism? I have been dealing with reality/fiction, subjective/obejective truth etc. in a course about postmodern fiction, so if you need any texts about that, just let me know.