Buying through this banner helps support the forum!

Thread: Love Among The Ruins

Love Among The Ruins

NAIROBI, Kenya (AP) -- The unlikely couple of a baby hippo and a 130-year-old tortoise were still together, a year after the hippo was separated from its family by a tsunami.

The relationship between Owen, the two-year-old hippopotamus, and Mzee, the giant tortoise, surprised conservation workers and made international headlines.

Owen was living with his family on the Sabaki River when massive waves from the Indian Ocean tsunami reached the East African coast. He was washed into the ocean and stranded on a reef.

Residents of Malindi, a small coastal town, used fishing nets to catch him. He was then taken to the Haller Park sanctuary, where he met Mzee and adopted him as a surrogate parent. Owen may have been attracted by Mzee's round shape and gray color that are somewhat similar to that of an adult hippopotamus.

The tortoise at first resisted. But the persistent Owen kept following him around the park, into the pool and trying to sleep next to him.

Mzee relented after several days. As the bond grew, the tortoise even returned signs of affection. They are now inseparable.

How cute! Two fat survivors find love among the tsunami ruins.
    *Sticks finger down throat*

When Owen grows to full size, he'll probably EAT the tortoise. In the animal kingdom the food chain is much more important than confused affection.

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by starrwriter
    NAIROBI, Kenya (AP) -- The unlikely couple of a baby hippo and a 130-year-old tortoise were still together, a year after the hippo was separated from its family by a tsunami.

The relationship between Owen, the two-year-old hippopotamus, and Mzee, the giant tortoise, surprised conservation workers and made international headlines.

Owen was living with his family on the Sabaki River when massive waves from the Indian Ocean tsunami reached the East African coast. He was washed into the ocean and stranded on a reef.

Residents of Malindi, a small coastal town, used fishing nets to catch him. He was then taken to the Haller Park sanctuary, where he met Mzee and adopted him as a surrogate parent. Owen may have been attracted by Mzee's round shape and gray color that are somewhat similar to that of an adult hippopotamus.

The tortoise at first resisted. But the persistent Owen kept following him around the park, into the pool and trying to sleep next to him.

Mzee relented after several days. As the bond grew, the tortoise even returned signs of affection. They are now inseparable.

How cute! Two fat survivors find love among the tsunami ruins.
    *Sticks finger down throat*

When Owen grows to full size, he'll probably EAT the tortoise. In the animal kingdom the food chain is much more important than confused affection.
    Odd... but a hippo and tortoise hybrid may be interesting... probably impossible though.

love among the ruins

love is a mystery and bonds created often beyond our comprehension.
    As for the hippo eating the other that is nonsense. You know they are vegetarian, the hippos, aren't they?. I mean have I lived these years and not known they eat meat? But I doubt it will eat the other, it would have done so by now.
    you ARE quite the romantic aren't you dear Starr?
    Last edited by rachel; 12-29-2005 at 05:42 PM. Reason: incorrect word

Quote Originally Posted by rachel
    As for the hippo eating the other that is nonsense. You know they are vegetarian, the hippos, aren't they?. I mean have I lived these years and not known they eat meat?
    I thought pigs were vegetarian -- until I saw a wild boar dining on a cow carcass in Hawaii. Many animals considered vegetarian are really scavaging omnivores. They'll eat anything that doesn't kick back.

Quote Originally Posted by rachel
    you ARE quite the romantic aren't you dear Starr?
    I'm romantic about romantic things and realistic about realistic things.

Blog Entries
    Pigs are omnivores.....hippos are vegetarians

starr, you have a very....um.....interesting(?) outlook on things

The scientific term isn't vegetarian though... lol... Herbivores, Omnivores, and Carnivores...

hey Digital, are you laughing at my baby?
    well done Same. a genious at work as always.