Thread: Isak Dinesen

Isak Dinesen

Karen Blixen, the Danish author whose pen name was Isak Dinesen, was a unique woman. She was independent and wed a friend she didn't love as a marriage of convenience to begin a new life. She was highly intelligent and a born storyteller who could ad lib a fascinating tale if given the first sentence. She lived at the end of a great era in East Africa, which at the time was a kind of Eden. The love of her life was Dennis Finch-Hatton, a hunter, pilot and adventurer who refused to make a comittment to her. A protege was Beryl Markham, an aviatrix who flew the Atlantic ocean alone in 1929 and wrote an excellent book about it ("West With The Night.")

Blixen's best work was the autobiographical "Out of Africa," a beautiful mixture of philosophical reflections and poetic/realistic impressions of her life as a coffee farm pioneer in early 20th century Kenya. I had never heard of the book until the 1960s when I read a short story by J. D. Salinger in which it was touted as a classic. However, I forgot about "Out of Africa" until the film version with Meryl Streep was released in 1985. Then I finally read the book and found it even better than the movie. I recall being strangely moved by a remark from a native worker after a dam collapsed on Blixen's farm: "This water lives in Mombasa." How quaint, I mused, to think of water as a living thing that had a home.

Blixen developed a strong personal bond with the tribal people who lived on her farm and taught her how to see Africa through their eyes. Finch-Hatton often took Blixen on hunting safaris to show her wilderness nature in the raw.
    When he died in a plane crash, she observed sadly that "the world was made round so we can't see too far down the road."

After 18 years, Blixen deeded her farm to her native workers and returned to Denmark. She never saw Africa again, though she continued to write about it as the special place she remembered fondly.

In 1954 when Ernest Hemingway won the Nobel Prize in Literature, he said he thought it should have been awarded to Isak Dinesen. It was quite a compliment from a writer who was known for disliking women authors.

Blixen lived a solitary life until she was 77 and she visited the U.S. a few years before her death in 1962.

This poor Woman......

Blog Entries
    Star - Have you read any of her fiction. I've never gotten a chance to but I do have a colection of stories (Seven Gothic Tales, I think) in my library. If so, what do you recommend?
    LET THERE BE LIGHT

"Love follows knowledge." – St. Catherine of Siena

My literature blog: http://ashesfromburntroses.blogspot.com/

Virgil, Do you have a library of your own or do you call your collection of books your library?
    I sang of leaves, of leaves of gold, and leaves of gold there grew.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pensive
    Virgil, Do you have a library of your own or do you call your collection of books your library?
    No, I call my collection of books my library. I have a lot of books, some of which are on a book shelf some of which I've had to store in the basement for lack of room. I hate to throw out any book.
    LET THERE BE LIGHT

Books are not something which should be thrown away.
    I sang of leaves, of leaves of gold, and leaves of gold there grew.

Quote Originally Posted by Virgil
    Star - Have you read any of her fiction. I've never gotten a chance to but I do have a colection of stories (Seven Gothic Tales, I think) in my library. If so, what do you recommend?
    I read "Out of Africa," which I consider a masterpiece of autobiography. Tried a few of her short stories, but I don't care for gothic.

Quote Originally Posted by Outlander
    This poor Woman......
    Exsqueeze me? Why do you say that?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by starrwriter
    I read "Out of Africa," which I consider a masterpiece of autobiography. Tried a few of her short stories, but I don't care for gothic.
    Thanks. I remember seeing the movie when it came out. I remember taking the girl friend I had at the time to it, and I think she broke up with me over it. I wouuld have thought she would have liked it: strong woman overcomes odds in an exotic place. She thought it was too emotional and if I liked it that meant I didn't understand her well enough to continue the relationship. I guess I didn't. Perhaps I should have posted this comment on the "What Do Women Want" thread.
    LET THERE BE LIGHT

Blog Entries
    Just found this thread. First off the film "out of Africa" is one of my all time favorites hands down. Sorry that girlfriend, Virgil, did not get it. I thought it was amazing and the performances top-notch. I have watched it many times. I don't agree with the first poster's biography sketch. I had heard that the film romantized her relationship with Denys Finch-Hatton - the spelling in her book is "Denys". If you read the book and I was lucky enought to find it at my local library in the give-away bin, you will hardly hear so much about Denys and if you do she states they were good friends. She does not indicate they were, as the film depicted, lovers. They had a close friendship from biographies I have read. The screen writers of the film took much liberty so if you are expecting the book to follow the film you would be direly disappointed. It is a slowpaced and wonderfully graphic book about her experiences first hand in Africa, especially with the natives. She was quite a woman, very adventuresome and willing to take risks and live a different style of existence. In the book she hardly mentions her husband at all.
    "It's so mysterious, the land of tears."

Chapter 7, The Little Prince ~ Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Quote Originally Posted by Janine View Post
    In the book she hardly mentions her husband at all.

Her husband was Bror Blixen who also wrote a book, rather hard to come by called African Hunter. In his day he was a rather well-known big game hunter. Anyone else interested in big game hunting, a subject which I really enjoy, should check out the Peter Capstick Library which is out of print but not too hard to find. They have African Hunter, though it is a little expensive. They also have Lt Col Patterson's story "Man-Eaters of Tsavo" which was what the movie Ghost in the Darkness was based on. Ah to have been a big game hunter...
    In these days, old man, no one thinks in terms of human beings. Governments don't, so why should we? They talk of the people, the proletariat, and I talk of the mugs. It's the same thing. They have their five year plan and I have mine.-Harry Lime, The Third Man novella by Graham Greene