Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast

Thread: Two works by Poe decoded. Announcement!!

publisher wanted
    Blog Entries
    While waiting for Mr Chryssis to tell us all about the "Tampico" captain John M.Allen, a little correction is necessary for the memory of dear Edgar.

Following info on Mr George Townsend Washington was found in "The History of Modern Greece" by Tasos Vournas, Tolidis editions, 1974. Athens, Greece .

-"Evidence" of GTW's death at Nafplion "towards the end of the revolution" is his name among others of dead philellhenes on a commemorative column placed in the catholic church of Nafplion by french colonel Hilarion Tourret (page 94). In page 95 reference is made to the frigates order scandal attributed to the "capitalist forces" that had taken control of the US then.
    -After prince Mavrogordatos and his probrit party signed the petition to the British throne requesting protection, thus making Greece a protectorate, french general Ross and GTW, "american philellhene", filed to the provisional greek governement a written complaint dated 24th July 1825 (page 158) Furhtermore and according to greek historian P.Chiotis, GTW handed over to the government another complaint a few days later revealing that the "protection" petition was first written in italian in Corfu and was then translated to greek in the island of Hydra and ended the complaint with the statement that he had not come to fight in Greece so that the country next became a british colony and that, because of this protection petition, he would be leaving the country (page 159).

It's noteworthy that on June 1825 Giovanni d'Anastasy (GTW's host and friend) was on a secret mission in Montenegro calling the Serbs to revolt against the Sultan whereas Stratford Canning, british embassador in Constantinople, met Mavrogordatos in Ermioni, on Morea mainland opposite Hydra, thus the protection petition next.

Above info necessitates the correction of previous statement made concerning Edgar's role as a double agent "working for the brits". In 1825 he was not at all a double agent but an ardent american patriot considering british imperialism as "the enemy". He was apparently forced later on to conform to the US policy change that took place between 1825 and Navarino.

It is concluded furthermore that after July 1825 Edgar returns to Zante as guest of d'Anastasy and travels next to Venice, stays in Giovanni's family palazzo where he sees "Saint Germain's" art and antique collection as per The Visionary. .

Who cannot like Edgar anyway?
    Last edited by yanni; 01-21-2006 at 03:47 AM. Reason: small corrections

publisher wanted
    Blog Entries
    RECAP

Apologising to the "silent viewer" for the misunderstanding on Edgar's "greek role" and "patriotism", I point out that from the early beginning of The Announcement it was made clear that any "Poe expertise" was limited to the interpetation of the specific two poems, that became possible through a series of coincidences and that Edgar was not the object of the research anyway:.

As stated in post Nr 1, between the decoding first of the Sonnet and, five years later, of Al Aaraaf, following "classic" riddles, all interrelated and very relevant, were encountered and finally solved:
    -D'Anastasy, the "armenian" alchemy papyri collector, consul(1826-?) of Sweden and Norway to Egypt
    -Cagliostro -Balsamo and "his" Rite of Mizraim
    - Comte de San Germain, minister of war of Luis XV and XVI (1771-1779)
    - The designer of the great seal of the USA, a friend and advisor of Ben.Franklin.
    -The affair of the queen's necklace (1784-1785) that brought about the french revolution (1789-1790)
    -The Stuart jewels "discovered" by Walter Scott in 1818. "

It is also stated in same post that " The Sonnet refers indeed to the death of young woman, wife of a man Poe had to contact during his diplomatic mission to the Levant early 1827. They greatly impressed Poe and hence, when he learned of the 1835 murder that included both her and other members of the man's family, his world totally collapsed".
    In other posts down the line it was made clear that the "man" was "riddle" D'Anastasy as above, also known as Yanni and that his biography outline reveals a very complex personality, that he was also known by other aliases as well and that he was related to Saint Germain, war minister of France about 1771-1779 (The exact period and duration of SG's ministerial service is still kept a secret by french authorities, just like his identity, for reasons known to the undersigned).
    Yanni in fact was then labeled "the next Saint Germain": Research revealed not only that they were both from the same family but also that Yanni had in his possesion until 1828 "magical" papyri used possibly by Saint Germain and certainly by Cagliostro-Balsamo before his capture and imprisonment in Rome. (Known as PGMxii 474-95 and PDMxii 135-64, they are to be found at the National Museum of antiquities at Leiden Holland and have been the subject of long discussions concerning the presence or not of prophet Abraham in Egypt. Problem is that the holy man's name is followed in the papyri by the name "Walsamo", ie Balsamo written as the name is pronounced in the greek language, propably by Mr Cagliostro himself).
    If, in addition to the above, Yanni's hydrian family protagonist role to the greek war for independence is taken into account (archivial research study by the undersigned twice published in Athens, 1998) together with the fact that Yanni was host and science partner of Champollion (Montenegro early 1826, Alexandria and Gourna, Egypt, 1828) and if Ben.Franlin's "unknown" relations to Saint Germain-war minister of France are also added to the equation, the conclusion is reached that Yanni was the ideal only host for the young ambitious "profrench" american poet who came to Greece to join in the war for independence, a kind of small advance repayment for the great IOU due to Saint Germain by the american "fathers of nation" for his role in the war for the american independence.
    It is also highly possible that Edgar played the role of "quarantee" for the fulfillment of the contractual obligations on behalf of the frigate suppliers as the custom then was in the East.
    Considering Yanni's own role as "master of disguise" it is assumed that the "Washington" name was selected with his approval so that the presence of the first US president own kin would make the revolutionaries feel more safe.

When stating as above therefore that decoding the poems happened "through a series of coincidences", it is a great understatement to say the least, therefore any further reference to "other riddles solved" is indeed superfluous and certainly "too big to handle" for the ordinary reader.
    Let us therefore next concentrate on Edgar:

His affection to "alchemy" was the second indication, after the Sonnet, of a direct link to d'Anastasy and his family, thus Al Aaraaf was seriously studied, the Constitution's itinerary was then reconstructed from info at the relevant site (the way it is presented there is mind breaking), the poem was thus fully interpreted and it was then certain that poet Edgar was in Greece and that Al Aaraaf together with The Sonnet speak of his role there, his friendship with Yanni, his infatuation with Yanni's later murdered wife (Correspondence with a british expert on the subject revealed that the death of d'Anastasy's wife happened late spring of 1835) or possibly one of his daughters (he makes reference in another poem- possibly Anna Lee-of the elders of her clan not approving their marriage).
    The Vow, the Sonnet, The Visionary-Assignation and Annabel Lee all reveal clearly Edgar leaving his heart in Greece and bringing home his everempty wallet along with the first indications of his schizoid problem.
    (to be continued in next)
    Last edited by yanni; 01-21-2006 at 04:02 AM. Reason: minor corrections

publisher wanted
    Blog Entries
    RECAP (continued)

Let's reexamine his words, shortly after his return from Greece, to Allen, December 1st, 1828:

"But, at no period of my life, have I regarded myself with a deeper satisfaction -- or did my heart swell with more honourable pride -- The time may come (if at all it will come speedily) when much that appears of a doubtful nature will be explained away, and I shall have no hesitation in appearing among my former connexions -- at the present I have no such intention, and nothing, short of your absolute commands, should deter me from my purpose. "

The "enlightened royalist french", the "Lafayette" side, his side until then, has lost the fight in Navarino along with Mehmet Ali's son who returned to Egypt, tail between legs. His host D'Anastasy (already consul in Alexandria July 1826) commences-Dec 1828- to sell his first greek and egyptian papyri to Leyden, Holland.
    May 1827 Edgar boards the Constitution and, October 1827 witnesses the battle, yet declares to his foster(?) father that he is more than ever "....with a deeper satisfaction -- or did my heart swell with more honourable pride".
    It has been stated that back in 1825 Edgar was an ardent american patriot as the complaints filed by George or William Townsend Washington suggest and this is later-on confirmed also by his 1831 declaration of intent to join Lafayette preparing his July revolution or the polish army!
    On his return Edgar also believes that his recognition " If at all it will come speedily" and thus reveals he is aware then of the political struggle the result of which would either make or break a profrench poet.
    He thinks apparently that Navarino was just another phase in the struggle between "royal" France and Britain, continues to place his bet on the former and is unble to comprehend that his "France" had already dissappeared after the battle. Allen, on the other hand, is more shrewed, belongs to the club that "fixed" the delayed and limited delivery of the frigates, he knows the IOU will never be repaid and looses hope for Edgar then and there.
    Edgar then proceeds to publish his elaborate Al Aaraaf and approaches in Baltimore, May 1829, firstly William Wirt who was "just retired from active political life in Washington, author of 'Letters of a British Spy' and a man of considerable literary reputation. Poe left with Wirt(obviously a profrench politician) the manuscript of 'Al Aaraaf' and received from him a letter of advice rather than recommendation".
    After Wirt's refusal Edgar approaches next the leader of the Baltimore philellhenes and friend of general Lafayette Mathew Carey who has become by then "Carey, Lea and Carey, a famous publishing firm". They also reject his work but Edgar insists, cuts bits off the original text of Al Aaaraf, modifies possibly others and finally "Al Aaraaf, Tamerlane and Minor Poems" is published by Hatch and Dunning in Baltimore in December, 1829.
    The "political message" of the existing text of Al Aaraaf is of course neutral at best but it is quite clear that Edgar is being sarcastic to everybody including his Nesace-Ianthe, her family (run away with persian Saadi in his Gullistan) and his compatriots as well (the breath of science dimms the mirror of our joy):
    Edgar thus tells us he made a big mess in his political role in the Levant and has also revealed to the officers of the Constitution his previous "greek" contacts. He uses his "other self" to find relief from his conscience and his top priority appears to be to become, at all cost, a recognised man of letters in the US. Politics interest him superficialy only and propably considers the subject beyond him. Allen's "inheritance" is his basic psychic security, absolution, last heaven.
    Soon after however he reaches the "age of reason" firstly when Allen remarries, has male hires and disinherits him and secondly when Ianthe or Ianthe's mother is murdered in Zante in 1835 after the plot, in which Edgar was personaly involved or at least informed about(The Visionary-Assignation) materialises.
    Edgar looses for ever hope marrying Ianthe(as Yanni's daughter he believes she is very rich still) when he learns the Zante news, sometime late 1835-early 1836. He next marries and soon after writes his controversial and perplexing "Marriage vow" indicating deep psychic problem already. He becomes unstable soon after and, towards the end of 1836, Whitte notices it and reacts. Edgar makes sure the Sonnet is published in January, is then dismissed from the Messenger and moves away from Richmond.
    He tries to recover next, never mentions Ianthe-Zante again but the murder troubles his conscience. He spends time remembering, writing and tearing paper and remorse and, when quoting twenty months later Clanvill, Ligeia the corpse attempting a ressurection replaces and symbolises the murdered Ianthe of the Sonnet, the lovely wife or daughter of his "friend" who, by not yielding to the "superior powers" and paying the price, crossed for ever Edgar out from his small list of "real friends".
    Yannis relations to Angelica Palli, the greek poetress living in Livorno, were examined and the possibility of her being Edgar's Ianthe/Annabel Lee was dismissed even if the name starts and ends sounding the same. Angelica is known to have fainted when viewing sometime around 1826, a mummy belonging to Yanni exhibited in Livorno where he often travelled and where the largest part of his collection was stored until 1835 at least.
    Angelica herself suffers and dissappears from the scene after 1835 and, around 1840 or so, marries an italian who participates in the italian "risorgimento" of which Yanni wants no part whatsoever. Her relation to Yanni and "Mizraim" is certain but must further be investigated in Italy by italian "scholars".

Years later Edgar himself describes what happens to the, beyond any boundary, free irish spirit when contained in the "the barrier and the bar" of the early british education system, thus the schizzo personality of "William Wilson" is produced. Edgar never got rid of either personalities: Guilt and shame burdened him all through his life to the very end, he recognises it, he says: That's who I am; that's how I feel about it, this is just how much I suffered, how dearly I paid my mistakes, I am so sorry!
    A rare spirit and a great poet ofcourse, but not the point of my research, really now!.
    Last edited by yanni; 01-21-2006 at 12:16 PM. Reason: minor corrections

Edgar the American Philhellene

Tis the Poe Enthusiast said it best: "If true, this in and of itself, would constitute a significant shift in the historical understanding of the life of one of America's most influential authors, poets and literary critics. If true, it could further explain the man behind a brilliant mind."

It's time to "historically understand" Edgar as a Philhellene! It's time.

Legrand

publisher wanted
    Blog Entries
    The Announcement certainly leads to the "...historical understanding of the life of one of America's most influential authors, poets and literary critics. If true, it could further explain the man behind a brilliant mind" as Tis said, before losing his enthusiasm and riding west.
    But the label "philelhellene" needs further elaboration I fear, dear Legrand.

publisher wanted
    Blog Entries
    You see, "philhellene" means "friend of the greeks" and Edgar's "colourfull"- etc etc as per Mr Chryssis- performance cannot be really defined as "philhellenic". There are many words starting or ending with "...phile..." but none includes the element of "material profit and reward". Other words exist for that kind of a relationship and "mercenary" is perhaps the wiser choice.
    One has to be ever so carefull with labels, especially when characterizing ".America's most influential authors, poets and literary critics".

publisher wanted
    Blog Entries
    PUBLISHER WANTED!

Edgar may not have been a good philhellene, but a good riddle he certainly was!
    A good riddle for his fellow americans, a good riddle for his so many fans worldwide, a good riddle no more because riddle "Edgar" is now solved!

Time and effort were spent to solve it as, to see find out why Edgar wrote Al Aaraaf, other riddles of the 18th and 19th century, all very relevant and interrelated to "Edgar" had to be solved as well (as per The Announcement and the Recap above).
    When such riddles, so mysterious for so long, are solved, questions arise! Yanni does not have all the answers and is as perplexed and confused as every one else. Yanni also knows, too well, that "the whole truth" is well beyond anybody's grasp.
    Therefore there are some questions he himself would like to place publicaly and he would be gratefull if someone would address them:
    I. If Edgar the poet was a riddle, if, until now, nobody really knew and understood what the poor soul was writing about, then who, what and why, defined him as a "great poet"?
    II. Do people normally define as "great", admire and worship everything beyond their own grasp and comprehension or was there a "system"-in the old days naturaly-promoting the "unclear and perplexing" instead of the "clear and straightforward" and if so, why?

The last question will automaticaly be answered if a publisher is found, or not, to undertake "Yanni's" book of riddles titled "Purple History".

Yanni will wait until the end of coming March for publishers to declare their relevant interest, after that he will continue The Announcement by publishing herein the solutions to other riddles solved starting with "Concino".

BTW the login process must be repeated twice before it occurs. Anybody knows why?

"...it's wonderful for I do not understand it"

It seemed to me that Edgar was a "Philhellene" because of his travels to the Levant; now I am of the opinion that Edgar traveled to the Greek fight for independence for glory and likely for profit as he was very poor. Your term "mercenary" seems befitting, Yanni.

I'm beginning to wonder if Mr. Chryssis is going to respond to your concerns about William Townsend Washington. Certainly someone has or will contact Mr. Chryssis to comment on his statements about WTW.

To American fans of Edgar and those worldwide, where are you? What of this discovery by Yanni the Greek? American Poe "authorities" seem to be asleep, perhaps in a form of adolescence, unwilling to recognize something new and vital to the study of a past brilliant mind. Then again, maybe Edgar is not a riddle to them, maybe they know very well of Edgar's travels in the Levant and at all costs will cover this up.

Yanni, your last two questions may be answered with this: Emerson once said of someone's poetry something on the line of: "...it's wonderful for I do not understand it." Perhaps there was a "system of unclear and perplexity" employed in 19th century poetry.

I anxiously await "Purple History" and why without "Concino" there would have been no USA.

publisher wanted
    Blog Entries
    -"Edgar was a "Philhellene" because of his travels to the Levant" you thought!
    The Levant hosted many travellers but no, they were not all phillehellenes.
    The right use of words is the safeguard of "logic".
    -About Concino and his riddle, you write "...without "Concino" there would have been no USA": I do confirm authorship of this exact phrase in a private email between us and I clarify it here so that readers are not confused.

Good day to you Legrand.

publisher wanted
    Blog Entries

The true Concino riddle.

A deep religious conflict between protestants and roman catholics divided central Europe as well as France in the 16th century which resulted in Saint Bartholome's massacre of 1573 that further enlarged the conflict.
    Fiorentine Maria di Medici (1573–1642), became queen of France after her marriage(1600) to Henry IV (ex Henry of Navarre 1533–1610). Henry's previous protestant marriage to Margarete de Valois (1553–1615) was annuled in 1599.
    Henry was converted to roman-catholic to receive Rome's blessing and the crown of France in Paris but was murdered nevertheless in 1610 by a catholic priest named François Ravaillac. Maria became then Regent of France as her son Luis (Luis XIII, 1601–1643) was still a child.
    During Maria's regency(1610-1617), a man named Concino Concini (also recorded as Conchino Conchini, christian names said to be Cosimo-Jean Baptiste or possibly Carlo), said to be Maria's lover, climbed to the top of the power ladder in France receiving, among others, the title of marhall of France. He thus became the target of other french nobles, mainly protestant-hugenots, who murdered both him and his wife Eleonora Calliga, dame de companie of queen Maria, in front of the Louvre palace in 1617.
    "Protected" by the murderers, prince Luis, still below age, was then crowned King of France.
    Regent Maria was exiled in Blois for five years, yet she reconciled later on with her son, returned to Paris in 1622 and befriended cardinal Richelieu (1585–1642). In 1630 however she fell again out of favour, was imprisoned in Compiegne wherefrom she escaped in 1631 and permanently fled France thereafter to die in Cologne, Germany in 1642.

Maria di Medici, founder of charity institutions, was surely the "mother" of all next "Luis" Bourbon Kings of France (until the unfortunate Luis XVI).
    But....who was the real "father"?
    Because, if Concino was not "shooting blanks" as it was rudely stated previously, then he was.
    Matters of such delicate nature are somewhat "clouded" historicaly, thus the true identity of Concino Concini is still obscure today, his origins unknown, his name has been modified. Who was he really?

The above is just the prelude of the riddle however as the statement above "without Concino there would have been no USA" is reconfirmed and furthermore expanded as follows:

Without Concino there would have been no democratic France, no modern Greece and no US of A.

So the solution to the "real Concino riddle" includes both the revelation of Concino's true identity as well as the proof to this outrageous statement. Other statements made concerning the pentagon star as well as the Great Seal and its designer will also be documented as scheduled.

Why is all this placed under this "Poe" thread?
    Because Edgar and his poetic-diplomatic blunders in the Levant have been the key to solve the "true Concino riddle".

publisher wanted
    Blog Entries
    Contemporary of Concino was a Doctor Robert Fludd (1574-1637), among the early fathers of western scientific thought. He also wrote "Silentium post clamores", thus both his verse below as well as the title of his specific work was found befitting to the Announcement and the reception it received thus far in the Literary Forum:

Farewell my freends let playne simplicity
    Be stil your guide to lead you in your race
    So shal ye neare approch to Vnity
    And euermore obtayne from him his grace
    For double dealers, false and treacherous men
    Wil quickly be entrapt in Errours den."

(http://www.levity.com/alchemy/fludd1.html)

The word "Vnity" means "God" (Vinity=Divinity) whereas "Errour", written with a capital E, is none other than the scientist's "devil".

Unfortunately "divinity" derives from latin "di vinum" (=coming from "the spirit"=alcohol).....

A slippery language, latin....

Two (or a few) Questions...

Concino was the lover of Regent Maria. Was this as early as 1601 when Luis XIII was conceived....am I reading this correctly, was Concino father of Luis XIII then being "father" of the following Luis line?

Very interesting about Dr. Robert Fludd who is "contemporary" of Concino. What, if any, is their connection?

What were Edgar's "poetic-diplomatic blunders in the Levant"...can you elaborate?

I will anxiously await the "true Concino riddle" and why "without Concino there would have been no democratic France, no modern Greece and no US of A".

publisher wanted
    Blog Entries
    "Concino was the lover of Regent Maria. Was this as early as 1601 when Luis XIII was conceived....am I reading this correctly, was Concino father of Luis XIII then being "father" of the following Luis line?"
    At the time of her marriage Maria di Medici was 27 years old, Concino was 25 and Henry 67. The marriage was arranged and furhthermore Henry was by then totally drained by the jaws of the religious conflict he was called upon to resolve.
    Concino is recorded historicaly as Maria's lover and his death the result of the envy of french protestant nobility.
    So, all historic "evidence" points to him being the real father of the french royal line.
    Evidence being no proof however, the "real Concino riddle" will provide all "proof" needed to justify a DNA examination. As I said already, all riddles specified have been solved including Concino's..

"Very interesting about Dr. Robert Fludd who is "contemporary" of Concino. What, if any, is their connection?"
    Science-alchemy-is the basic connection. Post on Fludd above was found "befitting" for reasons already stated (also see below).

"What were Edgar's "poetic-diplomatic blunders in the Levant"...can you elaborate?"
    His diplomatic "blunders" have already been explained: He came to the Levant and acted as a "profrech George Townsend Washington" for a while but then his country's policy changed and was therefore forced to enlist as "Edgar Allen Perry" and participate/witness Navarino acting against the "enlightened royal french". He changed sides again upon his return to the States.
    His poetic "blunder"-perhaps the term is incorrect-has been to be try to be sincere and record in code his experience in his verse (secrecy shall knowledge be in the environs of heaven).
    Fludd's verse was found befitting Edgar: he was somewhere between "playne simplicity" and "..double dealers, false and treacherous men" and thus approached his "Vnity" with alcohol.

publisher wanted
    Blog Entries
    “French support was due entirely to Franklin,” says Ellen Cohn, editor of The Papers of Benjamin Franklin, a mammoth project sponsored by the American Philosophical Society and Yale University. “In terms of world fame, there is no question that during this time Franklin was the most famous American in the world. The French adored him. There were many images of Franklin circulating at this time; there was hardly a house in France that didn’t have one. Franklin himself had a part in popularizing his image when he arrived. I believe this was part of his plan to win the French over, a bit like an early spin campaign.” Part of that campaign involved exchanging the early image of Franklin in a fur hat with a much more dignified portrait to reflect the gravitas of his mission.

But pardon me, my dear madame, did the french have really no foreign policy then and was "Comte de Saint Germain" not Franklin's most intimate friend?

" Ha! ha! ha! — ha! ha! ha!.....
    But pardon me, my dear sir, (here his tone of voice dropped to the very spirit of cordiality,) pardon me, my dear sir, for my uncharitable laughter.
    Last edited by yanni; 02-05-2006 at 04:47 AM. Reason: presentation

publisher wanted
    Blog Entries
    Needless to say that the invitation as above to Mr Chryssis is further extended and cordially addressed to the learned members the Poe Society of Baltimore, the American Philosophical Society, Yale University as well as Mrs Ellen Cohn, editor of Benjamin Franklin papers.
    Let Fludd's playne simplicity be our guide!

Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast