Thread: WInston and Julia

Question WInston and Julia

hey guys! i was just wondering what it is between Winston and Julia? i mean, i know that they could have their "relations" just to be defiant to common law but is there some other meaning to their relationship? Do they actually love each other or are they just doing it out of spite?

ill be glad to read your replies!

Smile The Relationship

From what I have read so far, it seems to me that Julia and Winston only have the "relations" as you call it, out of rebellion against Big Brother. I think this shows that just because Big Brother trys to have control over most of the population, it can't even control the people that work for it. I also think Winston does it just so he's not so lonely. It seemed throughout the first part of the novel that he really kept to himeself, but with Julia he has someone to talk to, even if it's a whisper for only a second, it gives him something to look forward to.

Cool

i think that they are doing it just to be so called rebels casue she gives him a note that says i love you then they start dating that isnt love they just want to go against big bother which i think i good because what kind of law is that you cant show love towards other people how do they think they are going to have children

Quote Originally Posted by tigercheer05
    From what I have read so far, it seems to me that Julia and Winston only have the "relations" as you call it, out of rebellion against Big Brother.
    I think a lot of relationships by young people are half-motivated by rebellion against their parents. Choose a totally unacceptable girlfriend or boyfriend and watch the parents go bananas. Family fun and games.

I also think that winston and julia are being rebels and dont rly love eachother but just act like the way they are with the "relations" just to get back to Big brother. I mean maybe she gives him the letter and then they go out just to get back to big brother!

Who said they were young. Winston is married, if you read carefully.
    "In the arithmetic of love, one plus one equals everything, and two minus one equals nothing" Mingnon McLaughlin

Talking

Bren- I think the true love between Julia and Winston is straight rebellion against Big Brother. And that their love isn't really mutual but expressed with lots of anger and emotion. I also think that maybe in the future they will show their true love in a different fashion.

I think they love each other as much as is possible under the circumstances. Their rebellion is what makes them human, they can't love if they're not human thus the fullest way they can be together is in raw, self-motivated, decadent rejection of Big Brother. Anything less just wouldn't cut it. In another setting they probably wouldn't get together, but that doesn't mean their feelings are less real. I don't think either of them gets any closer to love than what they feel for each other.