Thread: End-of-semester melancholy has brought me to this land

Organized Chaos

Smile End-of-semester melancholy has brought me to this land

Hello, everyone! I found this website as I was doing amateur research on seventeenth century poets (namely, John Donne, with whom I lately relate quite a bit), and thought it would be a marvelous idea to join. I love literature, but sadly most online friendship networks offer very little stimulation to one's neurons. I am excited to have found this network and hope to both benefit from and contribute something to.

I hope you guys have a happy holiday!

Blog Entries
    Hello socratica, glad you found us, hope you have fun here
    Forum Rules FAQ Tags Blogs Groups Quizzes e-Texts
    ◕‿◕ currently reading Empty Mansions: The Mysterious Life of Huguette Clark, Bill Dedman (2013)

"the dogs bark but the caravan moves on" --Arab proverb

Blog Entries
    heya socratica......welcome to the forum.. we look forward to more posts from u ...u could send in stuff on Donne...it might be helpful for some of us here studying literature and u could get comments on ur work too!

And the gates of this Chapel were shut,
    And Thou shalt not, writ over the door:
    So I turned to the Garden of Love,
    That so many sweet flowers bore. - "The Garden of Love", William Blake.

Organized Chaos

Cool Donne-- religion and relationships

Well, actually I found a lot of good works by Donne on this website. I am not doing anything scholarly on him, I just find the solace I need by reading his poetry because I can relate to him at this time. Like him, I was raised Catholic, but logic and the study of philosophy have led me to abandon the mythology with which I was raised. Also like Donne, however, I may have to adopt some sort of Methodist or Protestant religion just to fit in and avoid verbal persecution... but that'll be later on, when I am a bit older and only if my career has anything to do with influencing the public (WHO in the world as it is today would be moved by an Atheist? Really, WHO?). ALso, the romantic and extramarital engagements in which Donne engaged remind of certain engagements of mine as of late... that is probably a bit too much information for you, I suppose. (I am NOT married, by the way.... but I am in a serious relationship).
    "The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt." ~Bertrand Russell

"Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self." ~Cyril Connolly