Thread: Kilmeny of the Orchard

Kilmeny of the Orchard

I just finished reading Kilmeny of the Orchard, and I was not overly impressed. i LOVE L. M. Montgomery's books, but I don't think that she write stories about men very well. It is a short work, so if you're obsessed about reading all of Montgomery's works, as i am, it is not a hard read.

Kilmeny

Before making thinking too harshly of this book, I think you have to realize that it was published one chapter at a time, in serial format in a magazine. Also, it was of a more "romantic" literary style, quite different from the realism of today. Kilmeny of the Orchard was published as a book much later, though the story itself was written before Anne of Green Gables.

Montgomery's personal and literary style developed further after the publication of this work, so it's not the best representation of her writing.

I read Kilmeny of the Orchard and I really liked the sweetness of the book, but it's true this isn't Montgomery's best work. If you compare this with other of her works, it falls flat. I remembered reading the Emily series first, and when I moved onto the Anne series, I wasn't overly impressed with Anne either.