Page 411 of 466 FirstFirst ... 311361401406407408409410411412413414415416421461 ... LastLast
Results 6,151 to 6,165 of 6982

Thread: Introduce Yourself here and say Hi.

My name is anupriya friends. Hello

I love that Ashvamegh site john!

Closed
    Welcome Gupta.

Hi there,

John here. Writer of short stories. Horror genre usually. From Australia

You'll fit right in here, John. Do you ever write poetry in the horror genre?
    Live in the sunshine. Swim in the sea. Drink the wild air ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hello all,
    Thanks for a warm welcome. I'm afraid I'm here primarily to search for an old poem, but you never know what may develop.

Closed
    Hi Phil. Welcome to the site. Hope you find what you're looking for. We get some poetry mavens here from time to time, so just be patient. Hope you stick around!

Good afternoon, friends, new guy here, completed my profile, feel free to have a look. General question to anyone who cares to respond regarding Emerson and I hope it is not considered 'sacrilegious' (!).....Emerson's writings are in such 'olde English' and I find myself spending a lot more time than would otherwise be necessary in understanding him and his work. Is there extant a 'translation' of his works into 'modern English', such as, for example, the New International Version (NIV) version of the Bible vs. the King James version? Thanks in advance for your kind courtesy in considering this and responding!

Closed
    Welcome Tuck. Please enjoy the site.

I'm sure there must be such an abomination, and perhaps some evil spirit here can guide you to it. I urge you, though, to take the time to listen to Emerson's own voice. The NIV and the KJV are both translations; but what you are asking for--however convenient you may find it--is (in my opinion) a dumb down. Courage! You are better than that, I am sure!

Love the RWE quote, thanks for reminding me!

Yeah, you're right, it is a dumb down, I know.......one has to walk though before running.......

Killing a lion per day Doctreez's Avatar

A Newcomer!

Hey guys!

So - nice to meet you all!
    I'm 23, originally from Brazil - so English is not my first language, sorry in advance for any mistakes -, but I'll be staying a few months in UK. Since the time difference between here and basically all my family and friends is 4 hours, I was hoping to meet some new friends here, so I could not only train my written English, but also chat about books! And this is something I love

Some (not so) useful info about me: What I REALLY enjoy about reading is not only the story itself, but also how it's told. I really love to taste the words, to feel and input (when I'm writing) texture and scents. For books, as with music, I prefer dark, dense tones with ugly, sticky, smelly scenes. I love writing and experimenting with words. And with lines, while I'm drawing. And with food, while I'm cooking!

Not sure how to end this, so I'll send a Brazilian hug to everyone
    ... And THIS is why I believe this world will end someday.

I like your "feast-for-the-senses" approach to everything. I foresee some fascinating posts. Welcome.
    Live in the sunshine. Swim in the sea. Drink the wild air ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert L Tucker View Post
    Yeah, you're right, it is a dumb down, I know.......one has to walk though before running.......
    Maybe, but isn't this more like making the step up to a flexible flyer bicycle before moving on to the 10 speed? Emerson wrote in the 19th century. Use a crutch with him and you'll need one for Dickens, Austin, Thackary, Melville, Twain, Poe, and many others; Fielding, Defoe, and Swift are even harder; and then there are Skakespeare and Chaucer. I believe you are retired (me, too! ) Do you really want to restrict yourself so much at this time of new and expansive freedom? So much of reading really is about hearing that distant voice right there in your noggin.

Good luck with it, whatever you decide. I hope you will stick around and talk with us about it either way.

Killing a lion per day Doctreez's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Melanie View Post
    I like your "feast-for-the-senses" approach to everything. I foresee some fascinating posts. Welcome.
    Thanks a lot! I hope I don't sound too 'peculiar' with my opinions hahaha!
    ... And THIS is why I believe this world will end someday.