Page 298 of 466 FirstFirst ... 198248288293294295296297298299300301302303308348398 ... LastLast
Results 4,456 to 4,470 of 6982

Thread: Introduce Yourself here and say Hi.

Howdy everyone!

I joined the forum to mainly lurk, for I enjoy reading other people's opinions and such; but before I accidentally reply to someone I thought I'd introduce myself.

I'm a student/care-taker who is slowly (slowly) making the way towards a degree in English. I'm looking to teach in high school. My real love is philosophy, mainly hermeneutics (hence the name), but I've always been a reader since I was a kid (mostly the bible and comic books). I tend to be more of a thinker than a reader; I highly enjoy the presence of books more than I do what's in them!

Hello, I'm Kaprekar (that's not my real name) and I am someone who used to read a lot and then got out of the habit when I had my children. I'm now trying to catch up, and re-discover what I used to read, and also read new books. My way back in has been via Elizabeth Gaskell's North and South and another literature forum. My favourite authors include Jane Austen, Charles Dickens, Anthony Trollope, Elizabeth Gaskell, the Brontes, John Buchan, in more recent years I have been reading some American authors such as John Irving and Michael Chabon. I live in the UK, near London. I am also starting to be interested in reading some historical novelists initially Georgette Heyer and Bernard Cornwell.

I do also like theatre and have been having a go at acting myself by joining a local theatre group. Sadly young children and shortage of funds have made it difficult to go out much to see professional productions, but in the past I used to particularly enjoy trips to Stratford or London to see RSC productions such as a Midsummer Night's Dream, The Merchant of Venice, The Tempest, Julius Caesar, etc. I also love musical theatre.
    Last edited by kaprekar; 08-10-2010 at 07:57 PM.

yogamamaof2

Hello fellow bookworms!

I just recieved a recommendation to check out this site and it seems interesting. I am a 34 year old high school art and dance teacher. I have two boys ages 3 and 5 (15 months apart), a cockapoo named Nitro and the best husband in the world (I am biased though). I have been studying the Spanish language for the last year. I am a certified hatha yoga instructor as well. I mostly enjoy reading historical fiction. This summer I took on and just finished War and Peace and loved it! I noticed the book of the month and that seems like an interesting aspect of this site to me. Particularly the current book.

Hello. I decided to join this forum after a google search on existentialist literature brought me here.

Seems like a good place to pick up ideas on what to read and discuss books and whatnot.

Blog Entries
    Welcome, bookfall.
    The source of any bad writing is the desire to be something more than a person of sense--the straining to be thought a genius. If people would say what they have to say in plain terms, how much eloquent they would be.
    -S.T COLERIDGE

Hello, I have been reading here off and on for a while, but just thought I would make it official and jump in. There are some conversation threads that are interesting, and I would like some input on some poetry, some of the poetry games look fun, also.

Well, who knows where I'll wind up, but for now, hello all!

Regards,
    EJ

Smile

Ello ello!
    Shakespeare loving theatre director and lecturer here. Very excited to be able to chat to all you lovely literature lovers about whatever springs to mind and not just my own little area of interest.

Aside from that, Im 35, from Liverpool UK and don't you just love the weather right now? Lots of thunderstorms! I'm loving it!

Hi.

I'm new here.

I reside in Melbourne, Australia and am a technical writer and editor by profession.

Being a keen student of both speculative fiction and more generally world literature I was naturally attracted to this forum.

I hope to make a useful contribution to this site.

See you all on the boards.

Hello all,
    just popping by to say hello.Im looking forward to meeting all of of you over the comming months
    all the very best
    bill

What's up?

I'm 28, from Long Island. I graduated a few years ago with a bachelor's in political science from Coastal Carolina University, in Myrtle Beach. I spent a year teaching English in Korea, and now I'm back in Myrtle. I'm a certified Social Studies teacher, unable to find work, so I'm subbing in the local school district this year.

I'm a fairly voracious reader, both fiction and non. Politics and literature are my two passions, so in terms of non-fiction, my reading tends to coincide with my politics (far to the left of most people). Noam Chomsky is a hero of mine and my favorite contemporary political writer, but I also read people like Matt Taibbi, Glenn Greenwald, Naomi Klein, Howard Zinn... pretty much anyone with views that are considered radical in the context of America in twenty-first century. I'm also a huge fan of the so-called "New Atheists," particularly Hitchens, Harris, and Dawkins.

As for non-fiction, I love existentialist literature and have something of an obsession with Dostoevsky, who is definitely my favorite author of all-time. I am also fascinated by Kafka and Camus. I also love the great satirical writers of the Enlightenment, like Voltaire and Swift. Cormac McCarthy is my favorite living author and really the only one whose new releases I am genuinely excited for.

I live with my girlfriend and I have many friends. Myrtle Beach is not a very cultured city, to say the least, and it's difficult for me to find people to discuss politics or literature with. So I stumbled across this forum. I hope it's lively and enjoyable.

Good to be here; I'll see everyone in the forums!

Registered User Natasha Rostova's Avatar
    Hi everyone!

I am 48yrs. old Medical Doctor who happens to love reading. I am from eastern Europe, I speak several languages but my english is pretty rudimental since I've learned it all by my self, when I was a teenager. And believe me, it was a difficult task in those days of my youth when russian was exclusively offered by almost every school in my country.

I am looking forward to becoming a member of this community partly because of my love for literature of any kind written by any author, but mostly because I think that you guys, know little about slavic literature.
    I assume that most of you have heard about Dostoyevsky and Tolstoy. Some of you are even familiar with their novels. But lat's face it: How many of you who are not professionally involved in this field, have read anything from , Sholohov, Andric, Solzhenitsyn, Sienkiewicz, Pasternak... and btw. ALL of them are Nobel Prize Laureates in literature.

So my mission is to introduce you to the beautiful and complex slavic soul and to guide you throw the deepness of emotions and feelings which can be, at a first glance, quite confusing but in the same time so honest, warm and genuine.
    I hope you will enjoy reading as much as I'll enjoy answering your questions.

Yours Natasha

Blog Entries
    A welcome to all new members!

Hey everyone,

This is my first post, but it's taken me a long time! I've been meaning to join for over a year. I'm a second year uni student getting my major in English Literature whilst getting a Diploma of Buisness/Retail Management through my job.

I haven't read half the books I would like to. I love learning as much as I can about literature - in all its forms. Although I have noticed I tend to prefer classic to contemporary.

I love Harry Potter so much I have actually deluded myself into thinking I'm a wizard (please don't judge me too harshly!)

Oh, and I live in Australia! One of the most beautiful places in the world. Nice to meet everyone!

Blog Entries
    Hi Gribble Be welcome!

hi,
    i am new here. u can call me aegiya. i am from indonesia.
    i joined this forum because i like poe.
    i enjoy reading his works.
    nice to meet you all.