Page 344 of 466 FirstFirst ... 244294334339340341342343344345346347348349354394444 ... LastLast
Results 5,146 to 5,160 of 6982

Thread: Introduce Yourself here and say Hi.

Hi, my name is Ally. I love victorian novels, especially those by Dickens and Brontės sisters, I'm nice to be here!

Hi, I'm new here.
    I'm not a native English speaker, having great interest in reading literature,especially ancient works like The Iliad and The Odyssey, and I hope to improve my English and enrich my knowledge about literature from discussing and exchange ideas with other users here.

Very nice! Very useful!

hey all,

my name is alan. i am bookaholic. i have been sober for two hours [since breakfast, when i finished penelope lively's how it all began].
    can't believe i've never joined a book forum before.
    my favourite authors would be ray carver, thomas hardy, michael connelly, and john macgahern.
    i particularly love detective novels [a guilty pleasure] and a well-written short story.

Hello, everyone! My name is Francisco, you may guess by my name that english is not my first language, and actually that's right. I am uruguayan, so I speak spanish. I am twenty years old, and I study literature. I want to learn from you, and express my views referring to some books, as well. I also would like to improve my english. I am fond of a lot of authors: Oscar Wilde, Homer, Edgar Allan Poe, Bram Stoker, Goethe, Sade, Dostoievsky, Virgil, Dante Alighieri, William Shakespeare, James Joyce, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Voltaire, and, frankly, I must be forgotting someone important to me also. I think I have no favourite author, I love too many of them. I like listening to music, especially gothic. I love Christopher Nolan's movies, especially Following and Memento. I hope to find this virtual space to be an interesting, delightful experience. Dark regards.
    'Each of us has Heaven and Hell in him'

An initiation on a forum is always a mixed bag of feelings. You feel honored to be part of an intelligent organization of peoples, yet you feel a certain sense of nervousness to be starting from scratch. It is a hard emotion to put a finger on, but I do hope to contribute my thoughts and philosophy to this forum.

As this is an introductions forum, introductions are in order!

I am a student in middle school who loves to read. Don't underestimate that power of youth, as many adults have a jaded and irreversible pessimistic view on society and life. I am into motorsports, mainly, and like the noise and chaos which lifts you from the moody angst of philosophy and ideas. However, I do like to explore a philosophical side of myself. I like graphic design, as in typography and computer art, as well as computer science, reading (obviously), philosophy, psychology, and studying different views of human life. I am also a huge dog fan!

I feel like in a society of deep thinkers and readers it is okay to be a homosexual. I'm gay and I really don't care what others think about that, as long as it doesn't limit my life in a way that is meaningful. I'm not out of middle school, and you can imagine the difficulty of being openly gay in middle school, especially being a boy. I think being shunned from some groups really was good in a way, because it made me think about the philosophical, hidden side of society and gave me some more thinking time. So in a sense, I'm glad I came out, because it gave me some time to think things over.

Being in 7th grade, I am probably vastly underread compared to some of you veterans on this forum. I frequently skip around books, but I've come up with a regime to sticking to one book. The book I'm reading right now is To Kill A Mockingbird. I've put Atlas Shrugged off until I'm finished with a couple others, because everyone knows how long it is. Again, I'm vastly underread, so here are some classic books I have read, and what I've thought about them...

1. 1984 (George Orwell)
    My favorite book of all time. Undisputed king of dystopian science fiction, my favorite topic. It changed my outlook on life forever.

2. Animal Farm (George Orwell)
    Orwell occupies my top 2 on my list because of his fierce writing style, rather like mine! This is a great, stirring book as well.

3. Lord of the Flies (William Golding)
    Had to read this book for school. I skipped 1/4 of it, so my information may be a little bit off, but I did love this book. I only skipped for the sake of getting it done in time. It was very good and symbolistic, from what I've read in it.

4. Old Man and the Sea (Hemingway)
    Probably the most relaxing and down-to-earth book I've read in a long time. It is a very light, relaxing read, and is very beautiful in it's language, too.

5. The Catcher In the Rye (Salinger)
    I need to come back to this one. I read it when I was 10, and didn't fully understand it. I need to come back to it, and maybe I'll get it.

6. Of Mice and Men (Steinbeck)
    Not a huge fan of Steinbeck... dragged on forever. Just for the sake of knowing what happened at the end, I used SparkNotes! It was extremely boring.

Of course, I've read many other books than that, but I like to focus on the classics. Some books I plan to read and discuss are, in no particular order...

1. To Kill a Mockingbird
    2. Brave New World
    3. Fahrenheit 451
    4. Atlas Shrugged
    5. Catch-22
    6. The Great Gatsby
    7. The Grapes of Wrath
    8. East of Eden
    9. The Joy Luck Club
    10. Slaughterhouse-Five
    11. Things Fall Apart
    12. A Clockwork Orange (if my parents will let me...)
    13. War and Peace
    14. Shakespeare's Works
    15. Homer's Works
    16. Beowulf
    17. Grendel

Dystopian literature is my favorite genre.

See you on the forums!
    SHOOT ALL THE BLUEJAYS YOU WANT, IF YOU CAN HIT 'EM, BUT REMEMBER IT'S A SIN TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD.

Don't let movies spoil the books.

introducing myself...

Hi everyone, i am Foxx and i just joined you. I do hope this here is gonna be a great place to be. Love you all!

Hi everyone. New here. A great fan of P.G. Wodehouse, Agatha Christie, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, James Herriot, and Damon Runyon to name but a few among many. I dare not leave out Shakespeare and Oscar Wilde from the many category, however. Presently I'm enjoying 'Just Enough Jeeves' ...but is there ever? Thankfully this tome is upwards of 700 pages so I anticipate many happy times enmeshed in prickly situations with the likes of Bertie Wooster, Bingo, Boko, Uncle Percy, the twins...and on we go.

Lindy

Welcome all! So happy to have you here
    I sang of leaves, of leaves of gold, and leaves of gold there grew.

My name's Jake and I just recently got into reading again. I am reading Franny and Zooey for school and am soon reading Hemingway's short stories and East of Eden

- Kay LP.
    I've never posted here before, and don't know how it works. But hi.
    - Kay.

Hi!

I'm Ivy, 20 years old and from London

Stumbled across this forum whilst conducting some research for university assignments and thought I might as well join!

I'm doing an English Literature degree and the mass of primary texts I have to read is immense. I usually get through at least three texts a week and then there's all the secondary reading to do on top.

However, I love literature, so love my course! It's a shame that I don't get to squeeze in more 'leisure' reading since most of my time is used up with the reading for my course.

People always ask me who my favourite author is, and what my favourite book is....I honestly can't choose! I love exploring the different literary movements, from the ancient times right up until contemporary literature.

I'm hoping that I can share my knowledge with others, as well as learn from everyone here ^_^

Hello. Literature student. Wasting time. Should be reading. Ah, but I'm a talker anyway.
    chancereading.blogspot.com

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pensive View Post
    Welcome all! So happy to have you here
    I too am happy to see more faces on LitNet .

So it goes.

Exclamation New Girl

Hi everyone. I've never been on a forum before, so bear with me. I decided it might be nice to meet some new like-minded people. Since I finished my BA, I have been starved for book discussions and literary theories. I am hoping I will be welcomed and get a fix of the "good stuff." There's nothing like nerding out with a good book.