Page 463 of 466 FirstFirst ... 363413453458459460461462463464465466 LastLast
Results 6,931 to 6,945 of 6982

Thread: Introduce Yourself here and say Hi.

Hi, I'm Grimwincy, and I'm a British writer living in Greece. I am going back to school this autumn to study my English Literature degree after trying and dropping out twelve years ago. I love literature and want to connect with people who feel the same way. Glad to be here.

This is like the third time I have done this, because it spans years between when I come here and when I am not. oops

Anyway, nice to be back, I'm totoro. Yes, after the Japanese film.

Hey! I am Irene, I am from Greece! I am at the moment studying English literature as an Erasmus student in Germany! I really love literature and I would be happy discussing with others different issues!

Hi, all!

This is laugher from the US. Currently reading the works of Don Delillo, David F. Wallace, and Thomas Pynchon. If one were to put a gun to my head and say, "name one book that you found really enriching," I'd name Nicholson Baker's "The Anthologist."

I look forward to having interesting conversations here. Have a great week, guys!

Hello all! My name's Jonathan, I'm an English teacher and avid reader, thank you for having me be a part of your community

leea

Hello

I am so excited to be here, I live in the middle of nowhere so it is really hard to find someone to talk to about literature. I work as a school counselor and I think that my passion and love for books and reading even scares the English teachers. I love classic literature, YA, fantasy, and as a guilty pleasure I really enjoy fan fiction. I don't have many hobbies but I do have three almost adult kids that I love doing things with which include hiking, camping, and going to museums. I am not a great fan of technology so we will have to see how this goes.

Hello,
    I just joined this forum because I absolutely love books and classics in particular. I am trying to grow my collection of antiquarian books the old fashioned way, by digging through small used bookstores to find the gems at the bottom. My budget prevents me from buying them all, but I am getting some nice old hardback collectors editions that I enjoy reading.I hope to find people on here that understand the joys of not just opening up a new book, but opening up an old one that smells nice and musty.

Closed
    Welcome, DM. Yes, musty old books are wonderful, and like most antiquarian bibliophiles, I've got a picturesque bookcase full of them. Some of them belonged to my ancient father and (wonderfully) still smell of the pipe tobacco he smoked in the 50s and 60s. However, the older I get (I'm getting old now), the clearer it becomes to me that it was always the ideas the authors expressed that mattered to me and that quaint old books--while nice in their way--aren't particularly important. With that in mind (and since you mention your budget), let me recommend the Project Gutenberg website where virtually any English language classic is available to download for free. (The wall seems to be the drawing of Micky Mouse by Walt Disney--the authoritarian philistines make sure public sector ends there). But you want musty old books. I know, I know.
    Last edited by Pompey Bum; 06-21-2019 at 02:43 PM.

Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by leea View Post
    I am so excited to be here, I live in the middle of nowhere so it is really hard to find someone to talk to about literature. I work as a school counselor and I think that my passion and love for books and reading even scares the English teachers. I love classic literature, YA, fantasy, and as a guilty pleasure I really enjoy fan fiction. I don't have many hobbies but I do have three almost adult kids that I love doing things with which include hiking, camping, and going to museums. I am not a great fan of technology so we will have to see how this goes.
    Welcome, Leea. I'm from the American Northeast, but I spent my boyhood summers in the Midwest (not Illinois but rural Iowa) so I ended up a little of both. In fact, I have a great nostalgia for being in "the middle of nowhere". As far as technology goes, I don't think you've got much to worry about here. But be a little patient with the site. We are a small, loyal, remnant of a once large literature site which was more or less drained dry by Twitter, Facebook, etc. Sometimes things get slow here (even the moderators don't turn up very often), but we still have great conversations. I look forward talking to you.

Hello all... After looking over the various threads I can say I'm happy to have found this forum. I live in North Idaho and am semi retired. I do write and have published on Amazon with some success. I've become very frustrated with finding new, "living" authors to read. I pick up five books a week from the local library (following leads from The Guardian, NYTs) and rarely want to finish any of the books, which leads me to my trusty bookshelf (Nabokov, Waugh, Dickens, Wodehouse, Amis(s), Mcewan, Hemingway, Murdock, Austen). Anyway, I love reading other people's insights to great literature.

Closed
    Welcome, DSS. If it's social satire you write, you will find some first-class character models on this site.

Hello, my name is Raymond. I'm a casual reader since my work takes a lot of my time. I've read a lot of YA before but I think that was just a phase. I've read most of the classics as well. I love poetry and translated Japanese novel mostly by Haruki Murakami and Banana Yoshimoto. Right now, I'm having a hard time looking for some good new titles to read. I kinda need some recommendation because it feels like new releases are an acquired taste for me and I don't want to spend a good amount of money for something that I wouldn't enjoy.Glad I found this community.

Closed
    Welcome, CB. If you haven't tried him already, you may want to consider Kazuo Ishiguro. His novels are usually thought-provoking and seldom long (if work is an issue these days). If you are a 20-something, I would recommend Never Let Me Go. If you are older, read The Remains of the Day. I prefer that one, but it is a novel about people my age while Never Let Me Go is mostly about students. If you read it, though, just get a copy and read it. Don't ask around or look into it online or watch the movie because there is an important denouement that you don't want to know about beforehand. If you already know, don't worry about it, but of course the book is better without the spoiler. If you are looking for recent authors, I sympathize. Check out my reviews in the Review a Book thread. You may find something you're interested in. But generally speaking I think current writing (or at least publishing) is in a crisis.

What authors or titles would you recommend?
    Last edited by Pompey Bum; 06-28-2019 at 07:59 AM.

Hello. I am Kabby. I am reengaging my literary self after a strange kind of hiatus that may have been the result of getting hit in the head a few time too many. No, I am not an athlete, just active doing things on slippery surfaces. I wish for a relearning at what seems like the beginning of the 3rd turning of my life. I have not engaged anyone at a very literate level for quite a while. My mom used to be my muse, then a dear friend, but both are now gone from my life.

I was just noticing that the poster above mentioned "The Remains of the Day." I recently reread that, and was thrilled that I did. I have a greater understanding of the politics in Great Britain prior to WW2 than I did the first time I read it. I thank you Bum for the recommendations, and will look for a new read. I am currently read/listening to the Golum and the Jinni. I am enjoying it quite a bit.

The Golden fur boy has just brought me a ball, and I can't say no to this charmer. TTYL.

Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by Kabby View Post
    I was just noticing that the poster above mentioned "The Remains of the Day." I recently reread that, and was thrilled that I did. I have a greater understanding of the politics in Great Britain prior to WW2 than I did the first time I read it. I thank you Bum for the recommendations, and will look for a new read.
    Welcome to the site, Kabby. I'm glad you liked Remains of the Day. If you get a chance, feel free to leave your comments in the Review a Book forum. I'd love to hear your ideas. By a strange coincidence, I have taken some hard knocks to the head in my time, too. Who knows, maybe concussion is causally related to an interest in literature.