Page 440 of 466 FirstFirst ... 340390430435436437438439440441442443444445450 ... LastLast
Results 6,586 to 6,600 of 6982

Thread: Introduce Yourself here and say Hi.

On the road, but not! Danik 2016's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Wellcome, Macey, make yourself at home. There are a lot of activities: short story threads, poetry, discussions, games, etc.
    "I seemed to have sensed also from an early age that some of my experiences as a reader would change me more as a person than would many an event in the world where I sat and read. "
    Gerald Murnane, Tamarisk Row

A rural part of Sweden, southern Norrland
    You can also write a blog here on LitNet. There are some that have been going for many years now. I any event, welcome, Macey, to LitNet.

Hi everyone. This is my first day on this site and I'm hoping for great things. I love literature and, in fact, all art: dance, music, graphic arts, literature, etc. I graduated from college in Virginia, spent ten years in the Marine Corps and then 30 years in the non-pc computer business, finally retiring to Las Vegas, where we now live. I'm hoping that this site will allow open discourse without the vile anonymous hate, bigotry and discourtesy on which much of the internet now seems to thrive.

Welcome to LitNet Jayfoe. What's the non-pc computer business? Sounds intriguing.

Hi Guys,
    I am Khaled and finally I am here. I love reading and sci-fi is my most favorite genre. I hope I will be a good part of this forum and will let you know my thoughts and reading.I wish to gather some knowledge through this great forum.
    I love reading. Fishing is my hobby. I also love to travel from here and there.
    I am a Engineer and completed my B.Sc. in Civil Engineering degree about four years ago.
    I am from Bangladesh, a land of green beauty with numerous rivers and the longest sea beach of the world, Cox's Bazar.
    Have a good day.

Welcome to the website Khaled.

I'm joining this admirable forum on something of a lark, having found myself here at the latter end of a protracted Google search for the meaning of a certain allusion in Dostoevsky. While I typically like to keep my online interactions at a minimum, it suddenly occurred to me as potentially worthwhile to share my incurable habit of reading with somebody new and as-yet unmet.

Like "Virgil," whose post I perused below, I concluded my academic career (so far) with a Master's Degree in English, against which I was shrewdly and vehemently advised. While earning this degree (the last of four), I was granted the incomparable privilege of teaching a Freshman writing class, in which I insinuated at every opportunity portions of the literature that has defined my intellectual life, as well as those few hours of pleasure with which life has deigned to assign me.

My reading, at this or any other time, follows no particular pattern or discernible logic. In the last couple of weeks, I've read a collection of English verse, Bullfinch's Mythology, the first part of Don Quixote, and Allan Quartermain by H. Rider Haggard, while my trip to the library this afternoon found me with an armful of Samuel Beckett, Saul Bellows, and the aforementioned Russian. It has lately become a diversion of mine to tackle the library alphabetically, picking up any work that my conscience tells me I ought to have read by now, but haven't.

Thank you for suffering my presence here. I look forward to many happy greetings.

Welcome to LitNet, Chillingworth. I guess your pattern of reading is much like many others on this forum. The main thing is to enjoy it.

hi myself sarah naylor

Red face about me

my self sarah
    i am author at www.truthquestion.com and truth and dare questions site.

Salutations, fellow poets, authors and writers.

I am Alex, but usually go by Aestivius whenever I am online. Been a poet and author for the past 20 years or so. Finally got around last year to making a website to host all my poems, short stories and novels. The website in question is called myriadlaves.eu, but is currently somewhat under construction to me having to redesign the website.

I have been working on and off on about 3 novels currently, whereof one is an adaptation of an epic poem I wrote a couple of years ago called Wyrmsbane, written in the style of Beowulf, orthographically it's Modern English, but grammatically and vocabulary-wise it's closer to Old English and Middle English. I strove with the project to contain as Anglo Saxon a vocabulary as possible to stick as close to the inspiration as possible, but this endeavour resulted in a text far too impenetrable for any new readers or people unfamiliar with the vocabulary. Thus a sort of middle ground had to be found, whilst still preserving the archaic diction. Indeed, the novel is as much a linguistic undertaking as I've had to revive some older words as well as an authorial one of trying to write a story without making it sound too much like tushery as well as keeping my character as unstereotypical as possible.
    Last edited by Aestivius; 08-28-2016 at 11:05 AM.

Greetings, friends.

I'm Charlie, and I often have urges to write poetry or short fiction. I went to a doctor, they said if they remove it I'll be just a business person, which really is quite a lot less than I'd like to be.

I'm thinking of posting some poems for general feedback. Be as strict as you like. I'm very well aware of the fact that, were it not for the internet, I would fantasize about becoming a writer a lot less.

Nice to meet everyone.
    As flies to wanton boys are we to th' gods,
    They kill us for their sport.

Quote Originally Posted by Aestivius View Post
    Salutations, fellow poets, authors and writers.

I am Alex, but usually go by Aestivius whenever I am online. Been a poet and author for the past 20 years or so. Finally got around last year to making a website to host all my poems, short stories and novels. The website in question is called myriadlaves.eu, but is currently somewhat under construction to me having to redesign the website.

I have been working on and off on about 3 novels currently, whereof one is an adaptation of an epic poem I wrote a couple of years ago called Wyrmsbane, written in the style of Beowulf, orthographically it's Modern English, but grammatically and vocabulary-wise it's closer to Old English and Middle English. I strove with the project to contain as Anglo Saxon a vocabulary as possible to stick as close to the inspiration as possible, but this endeavour resulted in a text far too impenetrable for any new readers or people unfamiliar with the vocabulary. Thus a sort of middle ground had to be found, whilst still preserving the archaic diction. Indeed, the novel is as much a linguistic undertaking as I've had to revive some older words as well as an authorial one of trying to write a story without making it sound too much like tushery as well as keeping my character as unstereotypical as possible.
    Wow, that's some undertaking. I envy your devotion. Good luck!
    As flies to wanton boys are we to th' gods,
    They kill us for their sport.

Hi! I'm a writer with a passion for English Lit, especially medieval and interwar, some Victorian and I love Shakespeare and Spenser too.

So you are into 16th century literature. Welcome to Litnet.