Page 423 of 465 FirstFirst ... 323373413418419420421422423424425426427428433 ... LastLast
Results 6,331 to 6,345 of 6966

Thread: Introduce Yourself here and say Hi.

hi, im dennis. i need help with a few old books

Hi,
    My name is Glenda. I teach World Lit and English II at a small rural Mississippi high school. I also teach journalism and psychology. I have in the past also taught creative writing, Mississippi Literature, and too many courses that were really test prep in disguise. I hope to gain some insight from fellow literature aficionados! I appreciate many genres of literature but I especially enjoy Dystopian novels: Fahrenheit 451, The Giver, Anthem... are a few. A favorite non-fiction book is Elie Wiesel's Night. Powerful! I am currently trying to write a unit on Frank Baum's Life and Adventures of Santa Claus and would welcome comments or suggestions. Although the content may seem inappropriate for 10th grade, I did poll my students with positive feedback. I think they believe the book and unit will be easy! I want it to be fun, but challenging. Not just regurgitating the plot. Focus on theme and cultural reflections. Wish me luck!

Hello everyone!
    I'm Nick from Heidelberg, Germany. I'm 24yo book lover - I hope we will have great time together

Hello everyone. I am an avid reader and my favorite book is Pride and Prejudice. I also happen to love the genre of teen scifi/fantasy. Looking forward to being a part of the community.

Sincerely,
    Ms. Bennet

Of The Shadows
    Well, here I am. I may post every once in a while, but I'll mostly just read. I've very little talent for writing.
    Sorry that it isn't that long.

Hi everyone,
    I've just tried to post something, but I'm not sure I managed to do it

I'm a first-year university student studying English at a university in Hungary. I'm originally Hungarian, but I speak three languages, all at the same level. I have been blind since I was born, so I rely on technology for nearly everything I do. I use a laptop with a screen reader for studying and reading (A screen reader is a software which acts as a narrator and* describes what is displayed on-screen.)

Ever since being read to as a child, I've enjoyed and valued literature. I'm particularly passionate about English literature, especially
    the Romantic poets and Victorian novelists. My favorite authors include Charles Dickens, the Bronte sisters and Jane Austen. I strongly believe that literature is not "just an art", and that literature, like other humanities, social sciences and arts subjects, is just as important as the sciences. English literature is not a "pointless" degree. You can get a job with any degree if you're creative enough!
    After finishing high school last year, I was planning to apply to one of England's top universities to study English language and literature, but, in order to get in, I would have needed an A-level (or equivalent) in English literature, whichh I obviously didn't have because I didn't study English literature at school, so I applied to a college in England (not a sixth form, as I was already too old for that) to study A-levels. They offered me a place, but I couldn't start my course in September. (It's a long, complicated and not very pleasant story which I'd rather not share here.) Then I applied for an IB scholarship, but that didn't work out either because their entrance tests weren't accessible. I really didn't want to apply to a university in Hungary, but I had no other choice. I'm now studying at the most prestigious university in the country. I'm enjoying my course a**** lot and am doing very well**** in all my subjects. I'm aiming for a first-class**** degree because I still haven't given up on my plans. I hope to get into Oxford, Cambridge, Durham or Exeter for my MA and PHD.

******* In order to achieve this, however, I need extra help. My literature seminar tutor this semester was a kind, understanding, warm-hearted person, but she had very low expectations. 75% of our class was in Hungarian, which is not something she was supposed to do, not to mention that what we were doing wasn't what I was supposed to be doing in preparation for a master's at a top University, i.e. not exactly what British first-year students study.**** There are a lot of great literature professors at the university, and I'll be able to take their courses next semester, but I still need extra help. I've been trying to get a tutor, but they're all very expensive.
    That's my story in a nuthell. I look forward to "meeting" you all.

Blog Entries
    Hello everyone. I am new and trying to find my way around

Hi friends. I m new here. Hope i enjoy and learn in ur company.

HI friends i m new here... hope i enjoy and learn in your company

Hello, first posting I have decided to read Anna of the Five Towns by Arnold Bennett and shall comment on anything that takes my interest. if thats okay?

Hey. I'm an English major (Philosophy minor) at Louisiana State University. My favorite authors are, um, varied...it changes constantly honestly. However my favorite novel has stayedb the same for some years: Gravity's Rainbow by Thomas Pynchon. My favorite types of books is also a complicated topic--my favorites tend to me 20th century modernist/postmodernist works, but I also have a deep love for English Renaissance literature, especially the works of William Shakespeare and Mary Wroth. I hope to become a professional writer one day.

Das it.
    I am made and remade continually. Different people draw different words from me.
    -Virginia Woolf

Hi Everyone,

I've not a great deal of time to give to this right now, but I have lurked as a guest on these forums for a few years now. They have been a source of new thought on old, stale texts and a source of ideas for new one that I will have to teach for the first time!

I hope to provide the same service to some other people as I join in with discussion on here.

40. Teacher of English. Currently reading Paper Towns and feeling the lost-ness and wanderlust of the absent catalyst. Um. Going to post in the poetry forum now as I have knocked a few lines out about a colleague who is leaving the teaching profession after many years. Any comments welcome!

Hello all , it.s good to be with you here
    Iam bebo an acountant . I love handcrafts , reading and iam learning english this days
    hope all of you enjoy your life
    Bebo

A rural part of Sweden, southern Norrland
    Quote Originally Posted by dora.peterfay View Post
    I'm a first-year university student studying English at a university in Hungary. I'm originally Hungarian, but I speak three languages, all at the same level. I have been blind since I was born, so I rely on technology for nearly everything I do. I use a laptop with a screen reader for studying and reading (A screen reader is a software which acts as a narrator and* describes what is displayed on-screen.)

Ever since being read to as a child, I've enjoyed and valued literature. I'm particularly passionate about English literature, especially
    the Romantic poets and Victorian novelists. My favorite authors include Charles Dickens, the Bronte sisters and Jane Austen. I strongly believe that literature is not "just an art", and that literature, like other humanities, social sciences and arts subjects, is just as important as the sciences. English literature is not a "pointless" degree. You can get a job with any degree if you're creative enough!
    After finishing high school last year, I was planning to apply to one of England's top universities to study English language and literature, but, in order to get in, I would have needed an A-level (or equivalent) in English literature, whichh I obviously didn't have because I didn't study English literature at school, so I applied to a college in England (not a sixth form, as I was already too old for that) to study A-levels. They offered me a place, but I couldn't start my course in September. (It's a long, complicated and not very pleasant story which I'd rather not share here.) Then I applied for an IB scholarship, but that didn't work out either because their entrance tests weren't accessible. I really didn't want to apply to a university in Hungary, but I had no other choice. I'm now studying at the most prestigious university in the country. I'm enjoying my course a**** lot and am doing very well**** in all my subjects. I'm aiming for a first-class**** degree because I still haven't given up on my plans. I hope to get into Oxford, Cambridge, Durham or Exeter for my MA and PHD.

******* In order to achieve this, however, I need extra help. My literature seminar tutor this semester was a kind, understanding, warm-hearted person, but she had very low expectations. 75% of our class was in Hungarian, which is not something she was supposed to do, not to mention that what we were doing wasn't what I was supposed to be doing in preparation for a master's at a top University, i.e. not exactly what British first-year students study.**** There are a lot of great literature professors at the university, and I'll be able to take their courses next semester, but I still need extra help. I've been trying to get a tutor, but they're all very expensive.
    That's my story in a nuthell. I look forward to "meeting" you all.
    My parents were Hungarian and I learned the language just by listening to them talking. Welcome and good luck!

Hi there!