Page 88 of 465 FirstFirst ... 3878838485868788899091929398138188 ... LastLast
Results 1,306 to 1,320 of 6962

Thread: Introduce Yourself here and say Hi.

  1. #1306
    Ljerka LjerkaP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Croatia
    Posts
    1

    Hello everyone!

    Hi, I'm Ljerka, I come from Croatia, Europe. Great to have access to this forum.
    I work as an interpreter, my native language is Croatian, B.A. in English and Polish languages.
    Married, a son of 15.
    Love reading...
    don't we all?
    as good as an old book

  2. #1307
    Vincit Qui Se Vincit Virgil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    20,355
    Blog Entries
    248
    Welcome Ljerka. I hope you like it here on lit net.
    LET THERE BE LIGHT

    "Love follows knowledge." St. Catherine of Siena

    My literature blog: http://ashesfromburntroses.blogspot.com/

  3. #1308
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    9
    Hi,
    I am 21 years old and love to read, unfortunately most of the people closest to me never even think about picking up a book. Which is why I joined this site to talk about literature, outside from my classes at the university. It is a pleasure to be apart of this.

  4. #1309
    Life is a Gift! NNoah3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Beyond of Imagination
    Posts
    2,081
    Hello everybody,

    Seems like if I have to introduce myself again .
    I wasn't able to be here for a long long time , but I'm here again .
    I wish all my friends remember me

    Have a nice day!!!!

    Nicole
    "The secret of contentment is the realization that life is a gift not a right".

  5. #1310
    Metamorphosing Pensive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Neverland
    Posts
    10,600
    Quote Originally Posted by NNoah3 View Post
    Hello everybody,

    Seems like if I have to introduce myself again .
    I wasn't able to be here for a long long time , but I'm here again .
    I wish all my friends remember me

    Have a nice day!!!!

    Nicole
    Surely, we do remember you!

    Welcome back, NNoah!

    And all newbies, receive my warm welcome!
    I sang of leaves, of leaves of gold, and leaves of gold there grew.

  6. #1311
    Hippie toni's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Manila
    Posts
    4,365
    Blog Entries
    1
    Welcome LjerkaP and LeahAnn and hello NNoah!
    Dreams! adorations! illuminations! religions!
    the whole boatload of sensitive !

    Allen Ginsberg, Howl II.

  7. #1312
    Ditsy Pixie Niamh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Marino, Dublin, Ireland
    Posts
    14,243
    Blog Entries
    118
    hey i'm niamh! I'm almost twenty four years old, and was born and raised in Dublin city, ireland!


    I'm a big fan of all things literary, and have a small collection of rare and antiquarian books, including a copy of Homers Iliad translated by Alexander Pope dating 1806, and The complete works of Thomas Moore 1901 with John McCormack, the tenors, signature in it.


    I Studied Cultural and Heritage studies in college, which means i studied a broad range of subjects like Theatre Studies, Film studies, irish literature, geology and archaeology to name a few! I spend two years as an archaeologist and now supervise five busy bookshops in Dublin Airport, where i get 30% off all books which unfortunately means i waste most of my wages before i even leave the office!


    I'm a big fan of the anglo-irish literary revival, and the early history of the Abbey theatre which gave us the plays of W.B.Yeats and J.M.Synge.


    I signed up to be a member of this site after i stumbled across it a few days ago, and think its a great place for people who are interested in reading to share their wisedom!

    happy reading!
    Niamh

  8. #1313
    Teller of Tales SummerSolstice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    165
    Wages spent on books are never wasted! ^_^

    Me, I have no job, and thus no wages, and buying a book takes two or three week's worth of allowances... but if I ever had that much together at one time, and was to buy a book with it, that wouldn't be wasted either!
    The world is dark, and light is precious.
    Come closer, dear reader.
    You must trust me.
    I am telling you a story.
    - The Tale of Despereaux

  9. #1314
    Ditsy Pixie Niamh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Marino, Dublin, Ireland
    Posts
    14,243
    Blog Entries
    118
    i dont mind spending money on books, i mean i'd rather spend lots of money on books than on something that wont last an hour or a day. but i've got so many at this point i think it would be nicer on the limited space in my house if i started going to a library! I find it hard to go a few days without having a book in my hands. I'd probably buy two or three a week. my boyfriend on the other hand has been reading the same book for almost a year.

  10. #1315
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    1

    Hello

    Hello to you all.
    I grew up never understanding just why most of the other pupils in my school saw any type of English class as a punishment. I would look at my timetable, see Double English Literature lesson and just know that I was in for a good time. I am forever grateful to my tutors and their love of the subject, which inspired me to read and gain a little understanding and massive amounts of enjoyment from the written word, throughout my life.
    My children and all three of my granddaughters have had books held in front of them before they have even been able to focus with their eyes. We have all spent and continue to spend, some of our best moments together sharing a book or two.
    I look forward to being a member here and hope to share some 'best moment' times with likeminded folk.
    Best regards
    Last edited by The Quill; 11-23-2006 at 07:53 PM. Reason: wrong word used

  11. #1316
    Wannabe Blabber
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Lately, in this big green chair.
    Posts
    3

    Smile Hello everyone!

    So....my name is not really Ariadne (I guess you could tell), it's really taken after the Greek myth (I used this for quite a while back when I was role-playing on a Harry Potter website when I was 12)...but I think it's cute nevertheless.

    I'm a highschool student, or well, it's my first year and I'm studying in the IB (or it's more like pre-ib, and next year I start the actual thing) which, for those who don't know, is this snobby and annoying English language diploma (I say snobby because my teachers make such a big deal about the whole thing just because it's in English).
    My native language isn't English, but I have been speaking it since I was 7 or 8 so in a way it got better than my own native tongue. Apart from English, I also speak Romanian and a bit of French, Spanish and Finnish (oh and I dabble in Japanese at the moment, I started the course in september and during the summer I had an intensive course in German, courtesy of my mother, but I don't recall anything o.o).

    I'm a big myth and legends fan, and I've always liked fairytales, though nowadays I think they're rather frightening and I don't understand how I could have been so swayed by the magical part that I didn't notice their cruelty.

    Other than that, I admit to reading all those girly YA books, or most of them, my favourite being Twilight by Stephenie Meyer (it tells about vampires, and I looooove vampires!).

    Anyways at the moment I am wading through Proust's "In Search of Lost Time", while trying to make sense of Dante's Inferno and Milton's Paradise Lost (I am being masochistic here, as I hate anything to do with poetry >_<) and to relax I am reading a book called Famous Trials and I just started The Anthropology of Numbers (yes, I am fickle, I can't stand to read more than a chapter or two about the same thing, I need to read different things...which is why I usually read the same book twice because I don't understand a thing the first time ._. bad habit).

    Oh and should I tell my hobbies too? I like ice-skating. And I nap a lot too. Oh and for some reason I tend to hit into things a lot.

    Uhm...that's about it! (sorry if this was too long ._. )

  12. #1317
    Moderator Logos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    6,490
    Blog Entries
    19
    Welcome all you newbies! happy to have you here!
    Forum Rules FAQ Tags Blogs Groups Quizzes e-Texts
    ◕‿◕ currently reading Empty Mansions: The Mysterious Life of Huguette Clark, Bill Dedman (2013)

    "the dogs bark but the caravan moves on" --Arab proverb
    .


  13. #1318
    Metamorphosing Pensive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Neverland
    Posts
    10,600
    Quote Originally Posted by Ariadne View Post
    So....my name is not really Ariadne (I guess you could tell), it's really taken after the Greek myth (I used this for quite a while back when I was role-playing on a Harry Potter website when I was 12)...but I think it's cute nevertheless.

    I'm a highschool student, or well, it's my first year and I'm studying in the IB (or it's more like pre-ib, and next year I start the actual thing) which, for those who don't know, is this snobby and annoying English language diploma (I say snobby because my teachers make such a big deal about the whole thing just because it's in English).
    My native language isn't English, but I have been speaking it since I was 7 or 8 so in a way it got better than my own native tongue. Apart from English, I also speak Romanian and a bit of French, Spanish and Finnish (oh and I dabble in Japanese at the moment, I started the course in september and during the summer I had an intensive course in German, courtesy of my mother, but I don't recall anything o.o).

    I'm a big myth and legends fan, and I've always liked fairytales, though nowadays I think they're rather frightening and I don't understand how I could have been so swayed by the magical part that I didn't notice their cruelty.

    Other than that, I admit to reading all those girly YA books, or most of them, my favourite being Twilight by Stephenie Meyer (it tells about vampires, and I looooove vampires!).

    Anyways at the moment I am wading through Proust's "In Search of Lost Time", while trying to make sense of Dante's Inferno and Milton's Paradise Lost (I am being masochistic here, as I hate anything to do with poetry >_<) and to relax I am reading a book called Famous Trials and I just started The Anthropology of Numbers (yes, I am fickle, I can't stand to read more than a chapter or two about the same thing, I need to read different things...which is why I usually read the same book twice because I don't understand a thing the first time ._. bad habit).

    Oh and should I tell my hobbies too? I like ice-skating. And I nap a lot too. Oh and for some reason I tend to hit into things a lot.

    Uhm...that's about it! (sorry if this was too long ._. )
    I am glad to know more and more people who are interested in Harry Potter series.

    Have you by any chance tried Greek mythology? It is great!

    And welcome to the forum, Ariadne, The Quill and niamhking!
    I sang of leaves, of leaves of gold, and leaves of gold there grew.

  14. #1319
    Kat in a Hat kathycf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Massachusetts, USA
    Posts
    4,816
    Blog Entries
    58
    A warm welcome to all the new folks I am sure you have found an online home.

    Quote Originally Posted by niamhking View Post

    I Studied Cultural and Heritage studies in college, which means i studied a broad range of subjects like Theatre Studies, Film studies, irish literature, geology and archaeology to name a few! I spend two years as an archaeologist and now supervise five busy bookshops in Dublin Airport, where i get 30% off all books which unfortunately means i waste most of my wages before i even leave the office!

    happy reading!
    Niamh
    Very interesting, Niamh. What a varied array of subjects. You remind me that I must dig out my copy of Riders to the Sea. I also like your avatar (I like Froud too) and must agree with the sentiment expressed about where all the greats come from. (Can you guess I am of Irish descent? )
    "It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes."
    Douglas Adams


    "Frivolity is a stern taskmaster."
    Zippy the Pinhead


    ~Posting images tutorial~



  15. #1320
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    1
    Greetings all. Will be mostly lurking and looking for good historical fiction.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •