Page 418 of 466 FirstFirst ... 318368408413414415416417418419420421422423428 ... LastLast
Results 6,256 to 6,270 of 6982

Thread: Introduce Yourself here and say Hi.

Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by wrc View Post
    I began to write when I was 14 and was put on Diary Probation.
    At first I thought you wrote: dairy probation. As if your parents were PETA fanatics who didn't know how else to raise you. Welcome in any case. Hope you're enjoying sunny Mexico.

Yet Another Introduction......................

Hello everyone,

I'm somewhat older than those whose introductions I have just read. Perhaps too old to even mention....oh what the heck, I am close to 57. I studied literature at university for four years in the second half of the 1970s and been interested in it all my life. I had a few short stories published in the early Eighties. I've edited magazines on science fiction and Bob Dylan and had three books published on Dylan. Just last week my latest book came out and this time it was on Shakespeare, called Shakespeare in Cambridge by Amberley Press. As well as Shakespeare my other interests - some might say obsessions - are the Romantic and Metaphysical poets and Nineteenth Century Russian fiction.

I'm looking forward to exploring the site now..............

Closed
    Hello Iztra. There are people older, younger, and about the same age as you on the site, so don't worry about it. You sound like an interesting person, so I hope you've come to do more than plug your book. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Pompey Bum View Post
    Hello Iztra. There are people older, younger, and about the same age as you on the site, so don't worry about it. You sound like an interesting person, so I hope you've come to do more than plug your book. ;-)
    Yes, indeed I have, sorry about giving that impression I guess it is just that it fills my days at the moment and is all I am thinking of....I will refrain, repeat, I will refrain

Blog Entries
    It's been awhile!
    Hey y'all.
    Dreams! adorations! illuminations! religions!
    the whole boatload of sensitive !

— Allen Ginsberg, Howl II.

Hey, My name is Amine. I am an English Literary Studies in my first year and I joined you in this community for many reasons and one of them is improving my English skills. I hope spending a good time with you guys and thank you for the useful informations

Hello everyone! I am from Argentina

Hello every body

I m from pakistan

Closed
    Yikes! Hi everyone!

Toni, you've got more posts than I have, so welcome back. Lamrabetson/Amine, Carolina, and Zaphar, welcome from afar. It's great to have you here.

And Iztra, don't worry about it. I didn't intend to be rude or disrespectful. Please come and join the fun.

The Island. Cast away from the Mainland of Eurasia.
    Well... Not sure where to start, so I will try the Introductory thread:-) I guess my English is far from the best as I am native Russian, however after almost 10 years in the UK it had improved a lot. I love Literature. I do not remember names of the characters, plots, even names of books I had read quite often, as I consider books to be a food for a brain. Similar to the usual food for stomach. It gives an energy. Good quality food keeps you in a good health, good quality reading keeps your brain in a healthy condition. We would starve without reading with no energy left. I am trying to find my way in professional translation - English to Russian. Strangely enough, the poetry is much easier for me to translate than prose. Another strange thing - I find it confusing when people study literature (this is definitely an age thing), as only with age you start to understand that there are many ways to look at the same thing if to look from different dimensions. That is why Literature is impossible to study. What makes a character to look like a victim when you 17, can look like an abuser when you are 35. Well... Long hello, I suppose, but I do hope to find a lot of interesting topics here. So hi everyone:-)

Closed
    Привет Margerma! Welcome to the site. You will find many lovers of Russian and English literature here. Do you enjoy current or classic literature (or both)? In either case, you will find like-minded readers on LitNet.

Quote Originally Posted by Margerma View Post
    I am trying to find my way in professional translation - English to Russian. Strangely enough, the poetry is much easier for me to translate than prose.
    There is a German lady here named Kiki who is a professional translator (and a really nice person). Maybe you two can share trade secrets with each other. Are you out there somewhere, Kiki?

Quote Originally Posted by Margerma View Post
    Another strange thing - I find it confusing when people study literature (this is definitely an age thing), as only with age you start to understand that there are many ways to look at the same thing if to look from different dimensions. That is why Literature is impossible to study.
    I could not agree more, but you will find (perhaps understandable) resistance to that truth from many graduate students who are hoping to find a teaching career (and have gone deep into debt in the attempt) by signing on to someone else's orthodoxy. And you may find others who (less forgivably) just don't think free-thinking readers have a voice in the discussion. Who cares? We will say what we have to say and let 'em fuss. I look forward to hearing your thoughts about literature. So welcome.
    Last edited by Pompey Bum; 08-04-2015 at 10:39 AM.

Hello all,

I have been looking for a good, serious literature forum for a while. I mostly read the classics, and historical fiction, but dip into science fiction and fantasy for exceptional work. Pleased to meet you all.

Closed
    Nice to meet you, too, Methinks. Welcome to the site.