Page 437 of 466 FirstFirst ... 337387427432433434435436437438439440441442447 ... LastLast
Results 6,541 to 6,555 of 6982

Thread: Introduce Yourself here and say Hi.

Hello everyone! -Unrolls the huge roll of paper - Here it goes!

I am proud of my parents who among several other things, had introduced me to wonderful world of books, and that too in three languages allowing me to explore the unknown territories while sitting in the safety of my bed.

However, for most people, books have always been a source of recreation and entertainment where I live. People believe that one can have a serious career with lot of potential only if he/she is a doctor or an engineer. Studying literature is not something serious! After all what's the big deal in flipping the pages of a few cute books with beautiful covers, reading a few stories and poetry. That's not studies! That's fun. And that serious studies cannot be fun, can it? Basically, if you aren't minting enough money after your education, it seems your line of studies is not good enough.

So, I studied what by social norms would lead to a lucrative career. The only thing that felt amiss was that I was rarely with the books that I loved, any more. And then when everything was going right as per social norms, I wanted to do something different. Something that the social norms would glare at! I wanted to read books. I wanted to study literature. I wanted to teach literature at some point!

I started reading books ... more than what I have ever read. Science fictions.. Y&A Bestsellers... Murder Mysteries...Legal thrillers.. and then I was bored.. bored of the same plots being twisted and re-bottled under a new title and those becoming bestsellers.

I decided to try something else. Why not try something that has been praised and loved by generations of book addicts? The classics, may be! William Shakespeare, Charles Dickens, Anthony Trollope, Mary Shelley, Bram Stoker, H.G. Wells may be? And then I felt I was in my place. I felt I had so much to explore.. about those times when these books were authored, of the life of people in those times through these works of fiction. And my lost urge to learn about literature started to build up again. I want to teach literature to kids.. but I need a formal education for the same.

How is it like to study literature formally? Is it as good as studying it as an amateur? Does it give you sense of freedom? Does the experience get even better? To study formally or not to study is the question.

Pompey Bum we met the other day! Nice to see you again!
    Last edited by souveek; 07-21-2016 at 04:42 AM.
    Every beating heart in the hundreds of thousands of breasts there, is, in some of its imaginings, a secret to the heart nearest it! - Charles Dickens (AToTC) | https://fictionizta.wordpress.com/

A rural part of Sweden, southern Norrland
    Sounds like you are already well into your subject. Welcome and well met!

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamwoven View Post
    Sounds like you are already well into your subject. Welcome and well met!
    Thanks for the welcome Dreamwoven! I hope to see you around and converse more with you regarding the books and stuff!
    Every beating heart in the hundreds of thousands of breasts there, is, in some of its imaginings, a secret to the heart nearest it! - Charles Dickens (AToTC) | https://fictionizta.wordpress.com/

Hi, I'm Merkava120, a history and book nerd. The name comes from an Israeli tank I find particularly beautiful looking, and the 120 is the caliber of its gun. I'm from the middle of the USA, lived in one spot my whole life.

As for books, I have to admit am not a person who gets into a book easily - I have to be totally drawn into it so completely that I can't not finish it. I really like classics, especially 19th century ones, because of how well they can suck me in. I love getting deep into a book and thinking about all the morals and lessons that are taught in it, so I find it really hard to enjoy a book without that inner depth and commentary on the human condition. My favorite authors are Twain, Wilde and Hawthorne.

Often I find that I get to the end of a book and want to go talk about it with lots of people, but I'm rarely able to. That's why I dug up this forum - I just finished reading A Connecticut Yankee etc, and can't wait to find someone on here to talk about it with.

Can't wait to get into this site, it all looks really interesting!

A rural part of Sweden, southern Norrland
    Welcome to LitNet, Merkava!

You would probably like Julie Orringer's book The Invisible Bridge, set in Hungary in the second world war.

Hey everybody! I'm TheShrink, so i'm actually a doctor beginning my speciality in psychiatry.... Thus the name
    I checked in here to see what y'all got to say and maybe get some book recommendations of course. My favorite authors are John Steinbeck (Im from California), Ernest Hemingway (i lived in Europe for a while) and F Scott Fitzgerald (Tender is the night is about a shrink ). Oh and of course i like to read me some Freud and Carl Jung hahah. I don't get to read too often now, always knee deep in medical books and journals...

Blog Entries
    Howdy all y'all ! Welcome from the California Gold Country.

Ta ! (short for tarradiddle),
    tailor STATELY
    tailor

who am I but a stitch in time
    what if I were to bare my soul
    would you see me origami

7-8-2015

Hi I am a percussion player.I play an instrument called Mridangam,a carnatic music drum.I started my career as a Lawyer.Can anybody guide about me about the following: Rabindranath Tagore has composed 11 compositions based on Carnatic music,what are those and its carnatic equivalent

Mega Reader
    I LOVE YOUR BUNNY SUIT Pompey Bunny! I Came here looking for people with similar interests, so I am really excited to converse as well!

Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by ClassicalLover View Post
    I LOVE YOUR BUNNY SUIT Pompey Bunny! I Came here looking for people with similar interests, so I am really excited to converse as well!
    Thank you. It's meant to represent the duality of innocence and cynicism--for me in any case. Here's the source:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jN5giw9np7c
    Last edited by Pompey Bum; 07-27-2016 at 10:05 PM.

Hi!
    Let me start by saying I would have called my present here a direction of God if the forum had been spiritually concentrated. However, it remains justifiable if I say God directed me here because literature is the greatest means of reach-out employed by God. So, with the knowledge that I'm here by God's direction, it is a pleasure to be with you guys.

Closed
    Welcome, ablejoso. You will find theists and atheists aplenty here. There is a religious lit forum, too, which you may want to check out. Nice to have you with us.

Hi Everyone. I am GF. I am a former English teacher who is anxious to engage in some literary discussions! I will be commenting more at a later time. I am currently just exploring the site and I must admit that it is quite comprehensive and interesting. I look forward to being here!!

Closed
    Welcome GFW. I look forward to talking with you.

Hi, I'm completely new to this forum. I'd like to create a blog, but I can't see how to do it. Anybody help?