Thread: The Moonstone, Initially

The Moonstone, Initially

This is not only my first post in this forum, but it is also about the first Wilkie Collins novel I read, namely, The Moonstone. What a nice, heavy, thin-paged, cool book I had on my shelf for years before I was driven by curiosity -- and a personal pact to read everything I own before purchasing any more books-- to open and ingest. I love the complex scheme of details of this plot, and I am fascinated by his use of "journal narrative" by all the characters. It seems like such a round story. I had a tiny feeling of hanging on a cliff when it ended, though.
    I would be very interested in others' opinions about The Moonstone, and any other novels like this that I can buy when I am finished reading what I already have. Subquestion: what should be my next Collins novel?

Pièce de Résistance Scheherazade's Avatar
    The first Wilkie Colling novel I read was Lady in White, which I believe is his most popular one as well. After that I read The Moonstone, The Law and the Lady and Armadale as well. Even though at times his story lines are a little too far fetched, they are still excellent reads. Once I read that Collins easily could be the grandfather of the Mystery/Crime genre and I readily agree but what I like most about his stories is the fact that he gave such important and dominant roles to women in his books and did not treat them as the conservative Victorian morals would require.

After all this babbling: My favorite Collins novels are The Woman in White and The Moonstone so I would give The Woman a try.
    Last edited by Scheherazade; 05-12-2006 at 04:28 PM.
    ~
    "It is not that I am mad; it is only that my head is different from yours.”
    ~

Hello!
    I read only 3 novels of Wilkie Collins but I can say Wilkie Collins is my favourite author. It took me about only few days to read the whole book. Fascinated.

Question The Moonstone?

well i'm reading the moonstone right now and it's kind of confusing because of all the characters involved. i don't even know how to put a post on this network. or even a forum. you think you can help me? thx. l8terz.

Wilkie is probably my most favorite author. I would gladly recomend any and all of his books, though I haven't been able to read all of them myself.......yet! Some of the ones I have read and recomend besides 'The Woman in White' & 'The Moonstone' (my first & second Wilkie books) are; 'No Name', 'The Frozen Deep' (different but good), 'Man and Wife', 'I Say No', 'A Fair Penitent' (a short story), and a fun book called 'After Dark' which is really a story centered around a collection of short stories. My next reads I am looking forward to are 'Queen of Hearts', 'The Evil Genius', and 'The Guilty River'. I would like to read his 'Rambles beyond Railways' (1851)!

Good reading!

If grace is an ocean... grace86's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Welcome Camicass. You and I have made the same pact I am afraid, and The Moonstone is still one of the twelve books sitting on my shelf.
    "So heaven meets earth like a sloppy wet kiss, and my heart turns violently inside of my chest, I don't have time to maintain these regrets, when I think about, the way....He loves us..."

http://youtube.com/watch?v=5xXowT4eJjY