Thread: Books/Movies with a Similar Theme?

Question Books/Movies with a Similar Theme?

I am new to posting here, so I am not sure if this has been discussed before, but I would like any book or movie recommendations that are of a similar theme to Jane Eyre (you know: guy meets girl (she is wonderful), girl leaves guy, girl comes back, etc.). I really can't think of any story that has the same concepts as Jane Eyre. I don't know why; it's not like the story hasn't been reinvented a hundred times. Oh, well I suppose Beauty and the Beast isn't too far off, though Beauty is not plain. However, I suppose the general theme is similar. Anywho, any recommendations would be great! Thanks!

Just another nerd RobinHood3000's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    What about Pygmalion/My Fair Lady?

Talking Ahhh, yes...

Hahaha, yes indeed. I should have thought of that. I actually own both films; need to buy the printed version of the play, though I have read it. I don't like the ending in the play version though; she needed to come back. Thank goodness the movie versions have rectified that!

Anywho, while on the topic of similar themes, I wonder, do any guys like this story, how about you Robin (not sure if you are a guy or not)?
    Last edited by Omniscience; 11-30-2005 at 10:58 PM.

The Japanese "Seven Samurai"/western film "The Magnificent Seven"

Huh, really? Or are you just being facetious? I started watching Seven Samurai, but in all earnestness, I didn't really enjoy it (it has been awhile since I rented it, so specifics regarding why I didn't care for it are a little vague). I usually like foreign films, and older ones at that, as well as Japanese films, but it didn't really click with me within the first half-hour. Maybe I will have to give it a second chance. How is it at all like Jane Eyre?
    Last edited by Omniscience; 11-30-2005 at 10:45 PM.

Lightbulb Brainstorm!!!!!!!

Okay, so I have thought a little more on the matter, and I have decided that pretty much any Cinderella, Pygmalion, Beauty and the Beast motifs would be closely related in theme to Jane Eyre. A movie that comes to mind would be Nine Weeks Notice. Anywho, I am in such a crazy romantic mood (which doesn't occur with me very often), it would be great if more people could add their recommendations!!! Also, the books/movies Silence of the Lambs and Hannibal are kind of similar, in that Clarice is the beauty to Hannibal's beast. Oh, I suppose that Pride and Prejudice is similar as well.

Okay, I need some specific books and/or movies!! It is driving me mad! I know there are movies and books with these themes, but I have seen/read so many movies/books, that I feel I am missing something. I have read/watched Jane Eyre so many times this past month, I am actually getting somewhat sick of it, and am in need of something different, yet similar. Or maybe Jane Eyre is really just that good of a story, that I yearn for more stories like it...either way, any more specific movies/books that anyone can think of similar to these themes would be great!
    Last edited by Omniscience; 11-30-2005 at 10:57 PM.

In Arden with a book
    Quote Originally Posted by Omniscience
    I don't like the ending in the play version though; she needed to come back. Thank goodness the movie versions have rectified that!
    *mutter-mutter-chauvanistic-old-guy-mutter-mutter*

There are some really fun fairy tale retellings out there along your themes--have you read any Robin McKinley? A lot of her books are romantic. Umm...I don't read that many really romance-y books, and those I do have gone flying out of my brain. A lot of historical novels, modern ones I mean, as well as classics, have the same kind of dramatic flair as 'Jane Eyre.' And of course, there's Jane Austin, like you mentioned. Though personally, I'll take Bronte over Austin four times out of five.

Talking

Hahaha, hey, Prof. Higgens was hot!

I haven't read Robin McKinley, but I have heard of her. I will have to check out some of her stuff.

I love Jane Austin, but I love the Bronte sisters too. I couldn't choose between them. Though, I like all of Jane Austins books, where I only really love Heights and Jane Eyre by the Bronte sisters.
    Last edited by Omniscience; 12-01-2005 at 03:33 AM.

Now that would be telling it, wouldnt it?
    Blog Entries
    robin mckinly is great but ahh deerskin is rather dark and doesnt really have the usual happy ending.

My mission in life is to make YOU smile
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The time has come," the Walrus said,"To talk of many things:

Forum Rules- You know you want to read 'em

|Litnet Challange status = 5/260
    |currently reading

Huh, well, I haven't heard of Deerskin, but I have heard good things about her book Beauty.

I also thought of a few other stories that might be similar: L.M.A's Little Women and The Inheritance. An adaptation of The Inheritance was on WE today. It was my first time hearing of the story, but it was really good. It is A LOT like Jane Eyre: *spoilers* a pious woman who is (seemingly) orphaned is raised by a family (who--with the exception of one sister--incidentally likes her), falls for a rich man, find out about her family (which was an interesting twist that I won't ruin for you), and gets an inheritance (thus the title)...and the man. I was like, "Wow. I think L.M.A must have loved C.B's Jane Eyre."

the notebook by nicholas sparks has a similar theme

Similar to Jane Eyre

Quote Originally Posted by Omniscience View Post
    I am new to posting here, so I am not sure if this has been discussed before, but I would like any book or movie recommendations that are of a similar theme to Jane Eyre (you know: guy meets girl (she is wonderful), girl leaves guy, girl comes back, etc.). I really can't think of any story that has the same concepts as Jane Eyre. I don't know why; it's not like the story hasn't been reinvented a hundred times. Oh, well I suppose Beauty and the Beast isn't too far off, though Beauty is not plain. However, I suppose the general theme is similar. Anywho, any recommendations would be great! Thanks!
    A wonderful book that is similar to Jane Eyre is "Mistress of Mellyn" by Victoria Holt. I highly recommend it. Another one I like is "House of Shadowed Roses" by Carol Warburton. It is not a well-known book but I found it many years ago and I enjoyed it. There is also "Nine Coaches Waiting" by Mary Stewart. These books are similar to Jane Eyre in the way that the girl gets hired as a governess or something similar and finds herself in danger, falls in love with the master of the house etc. The girl doesn't leave or run away and then come back that I can remember but other than that the stories are similar. You can find these books on Amazon.com. Hope this helps!
    Last edited by Vianh; 07-02-2010 at 05:09 PM.

It is his eyes I adore janeeyre88's Avatar
    Some Clara Wimberly books have these types of story lines and atmosphere to them. I believe also B.C. Warren books. The gothic romance atmosphere that is.
    "The ease of his manner freed me from painful restraint; the friendly frankness, as correct as cordial, with which he treated me, drew me to him." Jane Eyre