Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 13181920212223

Thread: Russian literature

On the road, but not! Danik 2016's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    "I seemed to have sensed also from an early age that some of my experiences as a reader would change me more as a person than would many an event in the world where I sat and read. "
    Gerald Murnane, Tamarisk Row

If you love literature, as I do, Russian literature--especially 19th Century novels--are among the greatest in world and close to Shakespeare in their value as literature in general. Dostoevsky, Tolstoy are, of course, the giants, with Gogol close behind. Chekhov did not write novels but his short stories (especially the later ones) and his plays are a great as anything ever written. I hate to seem snobbish, but you don't really know anything about literature until you've feasted on the Russians!

Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlesSwann2 View Post
    If you love literature, as I do, Russian literature--especially 19th Century novels--are among the greatest in world and close to Shakespeare in their value as literature in general. Dostoevsky, Tolstoy are, of course, the giants, with Gogol close behind. Chekhov did not write novels but his short stories (especially the later ones) and his plays are a great as anything ever written. I hate to seem snobbish, but you don't really know anything about literature until you've feasted on the Russians!
    Welcome to the site, CharlesSwann. I am never happier than when I am reading good Russian literature although I do not pretend to be nearly well read enough in the subject. I have never read Turgenev, for example, and I have only recently started Gogol. You may be interested to join this thread about several authors (in fact, any you like), but which recently turned to Dostoyevsky, Dickens, Fielding, and Gogol (two out of four ain't bad ). I am frankly weak on the Russian authors, and I would appreciate any insight you could provide. Here's the thread:

http://www.online-literature.com/for...erature-Ramble

Ok I've read through this whole thread and nobody even mentioned Dimitry Gregorovitsh,,,,, so now I must suggest everyone look up Dimitry Gregorovitsh and procure a copy of (the Fishermen) and report back here in two weeks , ample time for the book has less than 400 ,pages, a good read is guaranteed to all,,,,,,

Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by Goodman Brown View Post
    Ok I've read through this whole thread and nobody even mentioned Dimitry Gregorovitsh,,,,, so now I must suggest everyone look up Dimitry Gregorovitsh and procure a copy of (the Fishermen) and report back here in two weeks , ample time for the book has less than 400 ,pages, a good read is guaranteed to all,,,,,,
    Sorry, but I'm rereading the Possessed after more than 30 years. That (and Christmas) will take up my time for a while. But thanks for reading the other thread. You should go back over there and start talking about Gregorovitsh. JCamilo is more broadly read than I am, so he probably knows all about him. But if not, you can teach us a little and we will read him when we are ready. Your comments would be welcomed in any case.

After reading the thread and not seeing Dimitry Gregorovitsh as a author that was being read here I decided to maybe get him some attention sort of speak but it's not really surprising because if you Google top Russian Authors he doesn't appear , still I enjoyed reading his book and maybe someone else will as well , of course at your own time and pace,,,,

Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 13181920212223