Buying through this banner helps support the forum!

Thread: Essential Resources

the human trampoline

Essential Resources

so i'm off to college this january,
    Can anyone come up with any resources or general books that may
    help me be a good student, write good papers, etc.

I came up with these so far:

-Dictionary
    -MLA Handbook for writers of research papers
    -The Elements of Style - writers handbook type thing
    -the world almanac 2006

thats about it... if you guys can think of anything, i am listening.
    All across the telegraph
    His name it did resound,
    But no charge held against him
    Could they prove.
    And there was no man around
    Who could track or chain him down,
    He was never known
    To make a foolish move.

What you have sounds good. If your studying literature, maybe some kind of handbook of literary terms. I've heard of them but never actually got one myself. Though I probably should have, but I don't think my husband could have handled me buying one more book!
    Hwæt! We Gar-Dena in geardagum,/Þeodcuninga þrum gefrunon,/hu ða æþelingas ellen fremedon!
    Oft Scyld Scefing sceaþena þreatum,/ monegum mægþum, meodosetla ofteah,/ egsode eorlas, syððan ærest wearð/ feasceaft funden; he þæs frofre gebad,/ weox under wolcnum, weorðmyndum þah,/ oðþæt him æghwylc þara ymbsittendra/ofer hronrade hyran scolde,/gomban gyldan. Þæt wæs god cyning!

dancing before the storms baddad's Avatar
    lat.51.7,long.114.13,1140m above sea level
    Dear Mr. biggerschlong.........Advice? Thought you'd never ask!! Your dictionary is your new best friend. LOve it, don't ever leave it, get one for your pack, your house, your computer desk, and be aware that there are many, many different types of dictionaries: geography dictionaries, history dictionaries, medical dictionaries, etc. Stock up, don't ever lend your dictionary out to a friend, and remember, your dictionary loves you too.

MLA handbook.....good choice.

If you want to get a leap ahead of others at your level, go to a thrift store/second hand book store/student second hand book store.........spend a few pennies on outdated texts that interest you, or buy and read a few of the classics, whichever turn you fancy.........................you'll not regret the investment, but your classmates will be surprised at how rounded and informed you seem to be.

P.S. Want to guarantee yourself a 5% increase in all of you Marks?? Let your professors know who you are!!! If they can recognize you in the hall, can nod and smile at/to you, have had you visit their office more than once, if they 'see' you in class participating/questioning, the subconscious psychological urge to treat you like a person they know instead of just another face will be irresistable!! Try it!! Make it an experiment if you like! I will pretty well guarantee the results. You know where to find me if I'm wrong......oh, yeah, love your dictionary. Perspicacious folk do.