View Poll Results: Is English your first language in your `real' life?

Voters
834. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

339 40.65%
  • No

495 59.35%
Page 34 of 34 FirstFirst ... 24293031323334

Thread: Is English your first language?

My first language is Spanish. I started studying English as a child and I'm fluent in it. I usually read books in that language.

i Love, I hate, i Die.!;.
    English is my first language but not in the real life...
    (Like...I don't talk in English with other people.)
    I started with English on the time i started with computers...
    They were teaching it in Kindergarden and i was first one of my age, who could make some sentences in English.
    Right now when someone shows an object to me then first thing that pops into my head is it's English name and then Estonian.
    I talk also Russian and i am trying to learn Japanese and Italian.
    .............................. / \
    You are wrong here......|
    ____________________|
    |Being tortured, till I'm found.|

English is my acquired language and I have been learning it nonstop hitherto now since I was twenty two, before that I did not know it. My first language is Nepali, a daughter of the Sanskrit language. It is no doubt a beautiful language and I can express my thoughts more eloquently thorough Nepali. I had a passion for English since my early childhood. The one an only reason I chose English as a second language owing mainly to the fact that this is gaining importance and momentum global scale in recent times. Of course it is through this beautiful language I can connect myself with the rest of the world. What is more over time English drew massively on so many other languages, paroles, directs, and it thus kept on advancing to a stage today that most non-English countries too have the fascination to learn. Today it has a link-language status. Even inside Nepali if a circle of educated Nepali people come together it is English they use as a medium of communication and that is the drive that promoted me to learn it. I feel a little bit comfortable with this language yet I feel I have yet to go a long way to say that I know it. Nevertheless I can take price in the fact that I can speak and write with mellifluence.

“Those who seek to satisfy the mind of man by hampering it with ceremonies and music and affecting charity and devotion have lost their original nature””

“If water derives lucidity from stillness, how much more the faculties of the mind! The mind of the sage, being in repose, becomes the mirror of the universe, the speculum of all creation.

English
    "Well, God give them wisdom that have it; and those that are fools, let them use their talents."

- Feste, Twelfth Night

"...till human voices wake us and we drown."

- Eliot

Quote Originally Posted by Weehet View Post
    If English really is your first language why don't you use a capital E for it?
    This is a common mistake for every language.

Now for the thread. I don't think that English is anyone's native tongue. In fact, we all had spoken gobberish when we were still infants.
    Ok I'll stop...
    My mother tongue is Tagalog, a native language of the Philippines. I learned English when I was three by being curious and reading books. It is not that I prefer English over my own native language. It's just that I've been taught that English is THE language that I must learn for it is one of the mainstream society's most recurring languages. A language used in everything, from video games to business meetings. Think of me learning English as a case of "group thinking". However, I don't regret learning it, I mean I love languages!

Me, myself and I
    I read/write/speak Romanian (unfortunately).
    But i learned English,French,Spanish and Italian.
    Actually in Romania, English is starting to take over with more and more people speaking it in common discussions. I found it that when speaking with my friends something like 40-50% of the words I speak are in English and they understand me...

Page 34 of 34 FirstFirst ... 24293031323334