Buying through this banner helps support the forum!

Thread: Culture Against Man

Culture Against Man

Two controversial books from the 1960s strongly influenced my thinking to this day: "One Dimensional Man" by political philosopher Herbert Marcuse and "Culture Against Man" by anthropologist Jules Henry.

Marcuse wrote: "A comfortable, smooth, reasonable, democratic unfreedom prevails in advanced civilization." Psychologist R. D. Laing noted that this phenomenon extends to the personal/family level and he called it "the mystification of experience."

Marcuse might have written that we are mystified BECAUSE our lack of freedom feels comfortable and seems reasonable in spite of our democratic ideals.

Other observations by Marcuse:

"The highest productivity of labor can be used for the perpetuation of labor" -- a good description of "labor-saving" devices and electronic entertainment which only increase the need for more labor.

"... the most efficient industrialization can serve the restriction and manipulation of needs." -- the FALSE needs of consumerism.

"Domination -- in the guise of affluence and liberty -- extends to all spheres of private and public existence, integrates all authentic opposition, absorbs all alternatives."

Marcuse remarked that the only way for an individual to be economically free would be if he were free of the economy. This is virtually impossible in today's world economy.

Henry noted that culture was originally invented to assist man in his battle for survival in nature. It allowed humans to successfully adapt to an unfriendly environment and thrive. Now humans must "adapt" to culture itself or risk being classified as criminal, insane, stupid or a drain on society.

Henry described our public school system as "the pathetic surrender of babes" to the cultural demands of a competitive consumer society. What students really learn is how to sit at desks for hours, listening to boring lectures and being pigeonholed as designated winners and losers without having a nervous breakdown or violently rebelling. The hidden lesson is patience in the face of absurdity -- something they will need to obtain and keep a job in the labor marketplace.

Very Interesting. G.K. Chesterton wrote an amazing book that talks about 'civilization' and the horrors of it. It totally upset me and made me look at things in a very different way.
    When you watch the Truman Show and you see how he lived in that totally plastic world and didn't question it for quite a long time it becomes painfully obvious that most people have lived at least for some part of life in the same way. Even those who thought they were so free probably weren't.
    Thank you for sharing, it adds to my understanding of you. Makes a lot of what you say more easily appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by rachel
    Thank you for sharing, it adds to my understanding of you.
    Egads! She wants to understand me when I'm trying my damndest to be a Mystery Man.
    *Gnashes teeth, bangs head against monitor*

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Henry described our public school system as "the pathetic surrender of babes" to the cultural demands of a competitive consumer society. What students really learn is how to sit at desks for hours, listening to boring lectures and being pigeonholed as designated winners and losers without having a nervous breakdown or violently rebelling. The hidden lesson is patience in the face of absurdity -- something they will need to obtain and keep a job in the labor marketplace.

Should we all pray for flower generations to be born again?

hullo little sub, THANK YOU FOR ANSWERING(does handstands and sings)
    Starr, did I say I WANTED to understand you? I feel I must so I can act as negotiator(i know I know macho man you doesn't need one) to diffuse a situation a minute where someone somewhere wants to 'have speaks" with you.
    just kidding. you know you want to be understood. that is why you act up like grade fives when teacher has left the room.but it is rather "adorable".

Quote Originally Posted by subterranean
    If this is ridicule, it comes from a strange source. Among Sub's favorite authors are Herman Hesse and Joseph Heller, two icons of the hippy generation. Plus the quote under his name is from Pink Floyd, a music mainstay to that generation. At age 24 Sub seems stuck in the 60s even though his parents were barely born by then.

Quote Originally Posted by rachel
    you know you want to be understood. that is why you act up like grade fives when teacher has left the room.but it is rather "adorable".
    Towel, quick!

(Curmudgeons upchuck instinctively when they're called "adorable." It feels like a gob of toad slime in their gullet.)

Just another nerd RobinHood3000's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Duck and cover, people! He's gonna blow!!
    Por una cabeza
    Si ella me olvida
    Qué importa perderme
    Mil veces la vida
    Para qué vivir

Quote Originally Posted by starrwriter
    If this is ridicule, it comes from a strange source. Among Sub's favorite authors are Herman Hesse and Joseph Heller, two icons of the hippy generation. Plus the quote under his name is from Pink Floyd, a music mainstay to that generation. At age 24 Sub seems stuck in the 60s even though his parents were barely born by then.

you mean her parents.
    Do, or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

Quote Originally Posted by subterranean
    Hell No, lets keep them where they belong - safely in the past.
    Do, or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

Starr.
    you called Sub a he? Wow and I thought you were the perfect news guy, uncovering every little fact however trivial.
    that towel is soiled now so let me wash it up and in the meantime I have a pink fluffy kitty one you may have.There isn't that better.
    I should not have said that bit about you behaving like a grade five. It was wrong of me.I meant grade three.
    have a wonderful day and by the way I am thinking of getting in touch with a couple of tutus on the big island and getting them to look you up. I am quite certain you need rather a 'tune up or two' who better to help you see the world in pinks and yellows as you sink into unconsciousness.And I don't mean from booze.