Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast

Thread: Longest book you've ever read.

Blog Entries
    Lord of the rings, I'm still trying to read it, or the banned and the banished series, I'm still reading that too.
    No doubt but there is none other beeste comparable to the mightie dragon in awsome power and majestie, and few so worthie of the diligent studies of wise men - Gildas Magnus, Ars Draconis, 1465

Pièce de Résistance Scheherazade's Avatar
    I wonder... Is the longest book you have ever read is also the heaviest(physical weight-wise) one you have ever read???
    ~
    "It is not that I am mad; it is only that my head is different from yours.”
    ~

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Scheherazade
    I wonder... Is the longest book you have ever read is also the heaviest(physical weight-wise) one you have ever read???
    Well, I think the heaviest books I've ever read are a hardback, illustrated, children's bible; that my aunt got for me when I was christened. I'm not sure if that counts, I haven't actually read all of it, I just looked at the pictures really. And the Tolkein Bestiary, which is also a hardback, but I haven't read all of that either, because it's mainly pictures too.
    But they're the heaviest books in my house.
    The weight depends on whether the book is a hardback of a paperback. The longest books I've read are paperbacks, so they're not as heavy as other books I've read.
    No doubt but there is none other beeste comparable to the mightie dragon in awsome power and majestie, and few so worthie of the diligent studies of wise men - Gildas Magnus, Ars Draconis, 1465

hehehehehe if you mean the actual longest in length, it would prolly be one of the Harry Potter books(sad), but if it is the hardest, or the one that took the longest/seemed the longest, it would be "The Portrait of an Artist as a Young Man"

The longest book I read? I think that's "The discovery of heaven" by Harry Mulisch. I did read it in Dutch (De ontdekking van de hemel), don't know if it's translated to English. Probably yes, because a couple of years ago also a movie came out, in English, so supposingly no only for the Netherlands but also abroad (whoever did see the movie, it's a bad one).
    The book is very good and gives a lot of things to think about. Almost everything has en double meaning. So in that way, maybe also the heaviest.

Erna, I've been curious about Harry Mulisch for some time - could you recommend a good book of his to start with?

I guess the longest one-volume book I've read is Stephen King's "The Stand", which is about 1400 pages. And if you count his 7-volume "The Dark Tower", which is one long narrative, that's 3818 pages...
    But the time ain't tall, yet on time you depend
    And no word is possessed by no special friend
    And though the line is cut it ain't quite the end,
    I'll just bid farewell till we meet again.
    - Bob Dylan

Ich bin
    It was... No, it were Lord of the rings+The Hobbit+Silmarillion and War and Pease, of course. They were very hard to replase but normal to read. The hardest to read was Chemistry book for first-year students in our RadioEngineering University.

Blog Entries
    Matthew Henry's Commentary to the Holy Bible--took about 4 and half years to do over 6000 pages--double column thin print (and yes--The Bible text was included.) This by the by was the unabridged 6 voume version. Highly recommended for insights in practical Chritianity and a worshiping spirit to God.

Quote Originally Posted by Scheherazade
    For me, that's a yes
    longest would be Vikram Seth - A Suitable Boy, nearly 1400 pages

The Bible (which of course is not a book, but rather a collection of books)
    LOTR (which is several books separated)
    Anna Karenina
    Daniel Deronda
    Middlemarch
    Our Mutual Friend
    Bleak House

etc.

The heaviest would have to be my leatherbound Easton Press KJV Bible, which would also be the longest, in a sort of way.

I suppose the longest book would be War and Peace by Tolstoy, followed by Lord of the Rings and Infinite Jest and I guess The Stand, I didn't realize that one had that many pages until Beer Good mentioned it. I knew it was a big one but I didn't realize it was that big. The heaviest would be my hard cover of Lord of the Rings with paintings by Alan Lee, although I don't actually read that one, if I want to reread the book, I have cheap soft cover copies of each separate book, the hard cover is strictly for show.

probably "War and Peace", altough I'm not sure- maybe "Quiet Don" is longer

in angulo cum libro Petrarch's Love's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I think the Faerie Queene, though maybe the Bible or LOTR is a little longer.

"In rime sparse il suono/ di quei sospiri ond' io nudriva 'l core/ in sul mio primo giovenile errore"~ Francesco Petrarca
    "Follies and nonsense, whims and inconsistencies do divert me, I own, and I laugh at them whenever I can."~ Jane Austen

abnihilisation of the ety
    The anatomy of melancholy by Robert Burton!

Please, who else had indulged in this book? I'd really like to know!

weer mijn koekjestrommel Schokokeks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoffrey
    The anatomy of melancholy by Robert Burton!

Please, who else had indulged in this book? I'd really like to know!
    aye, me!
    but I admit that I did not read it completely. I once worked on a project relating elements of the history of medicine, especially focussing on different forms of madness. My epoch was the Ancient World, and as in traditions of texts from this age, melancholy was defined as a form of madness, I read some excerpts from Burton's book that seemed helpful. I'd love to read the whole book one day, as I'm very curious about an historical approach to medicine..My admiration that you made it through! Did you like it so far?

The longest book I ever read was The Bible, but I stretched that over years...probably LotR, although Middlemarch was the most tedious one.
    "Where mind meets matter, both should woo!"
    Currently reading:
    * Paradise Lost by John Milton

Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast