Page 1 of 11 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Has a book ever made you cry?

Has a book ever made you cry?

She's Come Undone by Wally Lamb is the only book ever to bring me to tears... I told this to a friend and she says "Are you kidding? I always cry at the end of books!"
    Does my heart pump black oil or what?
    Has a book ever made you sob like a little girl?
    Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination.
    Oscar Wilde

Katie
    I have cried at books, but can't remember which ones at the moment! It's been a while since a book has moved me that much - either that or I just read happy books atm!
    This is not a novel to be tossed aside lightly. It should be thrown with force.

A lot of books, including, interestingly enough, 'She's Come Undone'. (Though the frequency of the tears differed from book to book - 'She's Come Undone' was more of a sniff-sniff-wipe the eyes-sniff type while 'Where the Red Fern Grows' made my eyes red for quite a while)

Nope. At least not that I can remember.

A lot of books make me weepy, but The Five People You Meet In Heaven prompted a tear fest I'll never forget. I cried through the last few chapters, and when I'd closed the book, I cried even harder. The book haunted me for weeks...I'd remember it and start crying again. I can't explain it...but I certainly remember it!
    "A poet is a midwife with a screaming baby in her hands." ~Rose Tremain

Real men don't cry when they read tragic fiction. They have a stiff drink of Scotch, which doesn't do them any good.
    (heh-heh)

There's been a few that made me cry but I can't think of which ones right now. Maybe it was just because I stayed up till 4am to finish reading them and my eyes were tired, that's my story anyways when caught crying.
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who matter don't mind, and those that mind, don't matter." -Dr. Seuss
    chuckreads
    listal

I'm embarassed to admit it.....but everytime I read Little Women I tear up when Beth dies!

Quote Originally Posted by becca2389
    I'm embarassed to admit it.....but everytime I read Little Women I tear up when Beth dies!
    Since Becca and Maude are presumably female, it's all right if they cry over a sad novel. Women have more active tear ducts or something -- plus they're more emotional than men.

(Lord, am I gonna catch hell for that remark! I already hear the footsteps coming.)

Naked Twilight

Doestoevsky...

..made me cry when one of his characters in "Crime and Punishment" was forced by her stepmother into prostitution. All my own novels make me cry. I get too wrapped up in my characters.
    Last edited by RusSpencer; 10-27-2005 at 04:45 PM. Reason: omission

One book I distinctly remember crying over was Dumas' "The Knight Of Maison Rouge". I believe I also shed a few tears over The Five People You Meet In Heaven.

I know that I've cried over at least one book, although I can't remember which one. Normally, though, I just get really, really depressed and will mope around the house for days on end until something happy comes along.
    "Peace comes from within. Do not seek it without." --Buddah

Blog Entries
    Perhaps other men would like to share their opinions?

Quote Originally Posted by starrwriter
    Real men don't cry when they read tragic fiction. They have a stiff drink of Scotch, which doesn't do them any good.
    (heh-heh)

Frank Mccourt's Angela's Ashes was a touchy book, I think

"there are people in the world so hungry that God can not appear to them except in the form of bread"

Mahatma Gandhi

Island almost brought me to tears at the very end when God and industrialization win out. The last speck of good in the world is eradicated in 8 pages when the trucks of Murugan, his mother, and Colonel Dipa roll through the streets, giving a sermon through the loudspeaker about how Western values are "truer" than Palanese values. The end made me want to vomit and cry at the same time. I mourn for the loss of humanity's final good at the hands of overwhelming evil and corruption.

But I was half expecting it, no matter how much I felt that the Palanese deserve to be left alone. The last of untainted humanity, finally consumed in the infinite hypocrisy of Western religion and greed-driven industrialization.
    Last edited by MiSaNtHrOpE; 10-27-2005 at 07:42 PM.
    "Humanity is probably the only creature capable of hating its own kind" - Neon Genesis Evangelion
    "I wanna live. I wanna love. But its a long hard road out of hell" - M.M.
    "Which is better: to be born stupid into an intelligent society or intelligent into an insane one?" Aldous Huxley's Island p. 228

now then ;)
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by subterranean
    Perhaps other men would like to share their opinions?
    Ok, real men dont cry only wimps and nancy boys (Just kidding....before I get caught in the blast which is sure to soon envelope Starrwriter)

Whilst I do not recall crying at any book, I will admit to having cried after watching a film (It's a wonderful life)
    There once was a scotsman named Drew
    Who put too much wine in his stew
    He felt a bit drunk
    And fell off his bunk
    And landed smack into his shoe
    ~(C) Ms Niamh Anne King

Page 1 of 11 123456 ... LastLast