Thread: 20th Century British Lit

20th Century British Lit

To me, it seems that all of the British lit I hear about comes from the Victorian era, which is written well, yet is not my favorite stuff to read. I much prefer 19th Century American novels, though I may need to acquire a taste for the Vict. books. However, could someone recommend to me some well written Brit books from the 20th Century, as I would like to try new authors of a different age. Thanks.

Re: 20th Century British Lit

British lit. encompasses Irish literature as well, so I would recommend (for starters) reading James Joyce's the Dubliners. The last story, 'The Dead', is generally considered the cornerstone of modern short story form (it's beautiful; I weep like a babe everytime I read it). Perhaps from there you could move on to A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man and then, God willing, Ulysses and Finnegans Wake. Who knows? Joyce is one of those authors whose linguistic trace can be found everywhere in English and American culture. When I read Ulysses several years ago I remember constantly thinking to myself, 'Geez, I've used this phrase before, but never really knew what it meant.' The only other writer I can think of who had that kind of influence on the world was Shakespeare.

Thanks! I'll check my school library for Joyce books at lunch tomorrow. (To get some reading time in during the day, I eat during class and read during lunch).

You're adorable, Rotty.

Shucks! Abdo got here before I could! I'll second his nomination of Joyce, but don't forget D.H. Lawrence (start with Sons and Lovers) and Dylan Thomas (last time I looked Wales was in Britain, too). Anything by Thomas. Everything by Thomas!

ihrocks
    The revolution is just a T-shirt away -- Billy Bragg

Thanks, ihrocks.

If you like English poetry (from the 19th century), read Samuel Taylor Coleridge. 'Kublah Khan' is especially good. Really, I just like the first two lines:

In Xanandu did Kublah Khan
    A stately pleasure dome decree . . .

It forces your tongue against the roof of your mouth in a yogic (almost epileptic) rhythm.

hi! i am anubanu.just wanted to introduce myself
    i have read coleridge's kubla khan it's wonderful.Even his ancient mariner is also good.i am reading son's and lover's these day's

Welcome anubanu!

Enjoy Lawrence! I think "Sons & Lovers" is probably my favorite of his books. Let me know what you think.

ihrocks
    The revolution is just a T-shirt away -- Billy Bragg

You could also try E.M. Forster and Evelyn Waugh. Forster and Waugh are especial favorites of mine. I absolutley adore Forster's Howards' End and Waugh's Brideshead Revisited.

hello ihrocks'
    sons and lover's is a good novel.i haven't read any of his other novels
    what are you reading these day's?