Thread: Reading the Play

Reading the Play

I'm in the middle of the play. Did anyone else find this to be a hard book to read? I seriously don't know if I can continue, first the son in law then the daughter now the 2 sons......sheesh.
    Do, or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

Quote Originally Posted by papayahed
    I'm in the middle of the play. Did anyone else find this to be a hard book to read? I seriously don't know if I can continue, first the son in law then the daughter now the 2 sons......sheesh.
    'paya, the most gruesome part is yet to come!!

"If it is honorable for you to disturb the dead, I shall consider it an honor and will make it my ambition to disturb your living." - Captain Miles Hazzard

Quote Originally Posted by Basil
    'paya, the most gruesome part is yet to come!!
    Thanks Basil, but that's not really helping me to finish this play!!!

A script does not a story make....

It is important to remember when reading Shakespeare, or any play, that you are merely viewing a blueprint, or a skeleton, of the work of art, unlike other forms of literature. All the 'fleshy' bits- the actions, the gestures, the spectacle, are stipped away. Theatre was meant to be heard and seen, not just read. Try to listen to an audio recording, or better yet, go see the play live or borrow a recorded performance video from your local library. Then, go back and read the play and you will be surprized how much more you appreciate.

Also, try to imagine what the characters look like, what they are wearing, where they are, etc. It will help flesh out that skeleton, making it a living organism with a compelling, human story to tell.

The fact that we are still reading and performing 'The Bard's' plays is a testiment to his enduring ability to turn a mirror onto humanity, the beautiful parts and the ugly.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Keep pushing on this play. It was one of my favorites and I've read it many times over. It is bloody, in fact I think it is the most violent of Shakespeare's plays, but it is a great story. Think about the overall message of the story and it is easier to read. If you don't like the violence just try not to dwell on that aspect. I really hope you make it the rest of the way through.

Update: I have finished the play. It is very gruesome but well worth it.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Update: I have finished the play. It is very gruesome but well worth it.
    Good, I'm glad that you finished it. It was always a favorite of mind. Well I guess I like most Shakespeare, but anyway... I'm happy you found it worth it.

Lover of all things epic
    I think it's a good play, but I would agree that the violence is difficult to cope with after reading other plays like Romeo and Juliet, or even Macbeth, Hamlet and Othello. They all contain violence, particularly H and O, but I don't think this really prepares you for Titus!

Wow, I had never noticed this post before.
    Well, well, this simply seems because Shakespeare wrote it.
    Personally, I have always loved this play, Titus Andronicus, one of my favorite tragedies. No one can quite overlook the gruesome and cruel qualities inside of it, but the plot itself, to me, seemed very alluring, full of twists, deviance, deception - my kind of stuff!
    I feel relieved to see that you enjoyed the play in the end, papayahed. Of course, it does not seem easy to read, and Shakespeare seldom reads simply, but most of his plays appear well worth the challenge of comprehension.

Quote Originally Posted by mono
    Wow, I had never noticed this post before.

Well, well, this simply seems because Shakespeare wrote it.
    Personally, I have always loved this play, Titus Andronicus, one of my favorite tragedies. No one can quite overlook the gruesome and cruel qualities inside of it, but the plot itself, to me, seemed very alluring, full of twists, deviance, deception - my kind of stuff!
    I feel relieved to see that you enjoyed the play in the end, papayahed. Of course, it does not seem easy to read, and Shakespeare seldom reads simply, but most of his plays appear well worth the challenge of comprehension.

haha yes mono when I think deviance and deception you come to mind.....not. (haha how 80's is that phrase. )

If by "hard" you mean "unbearable", then yes. x_x