Thread: How to write logically?

How to write logically?

hello everyone,
    would you like to help me with this " How to write an article logically". When I write an essays,they looked so pity. people can't understand what I wrote. I often have trouble when I write in English as a second language learner. Sentences are not only long but also dissent. But I try my best to practise. Love to hear to share from you!
    Ceicil
    Last edited by ceicil; 10-25-2005 at 04:27 AM. Reason: Because fof mistakes in typo
    Study is forever because mind is a terrible thing to waste!

Blog Entries
    Hi Ceicil,

Well, I can understand what you have written, but I can see why there is a problem sometimes. Many of the words you use are not correct. Of course that's OK - you can only learn by making mistakes. So...here is how I would write your post:

would you like to help me to write more effectively? When I write essays, they don't make sense and people can't understand them. I often have trouble when I write in English as it is a second language for me. My sentences are not only long but also mixed up. But I try my best to practice. I'd love to hear from you if you have some helpful advice you could share.

Do you know the difference between a noun, a verb and an adjective? You'll find that useful.
    A noun is a thing e.g. a house, pain, a shoe, an idea.
    A verb is a doing word - run, speak, think, write.
    An adjective is a descriptive word - yellow, fast, clever, stupid.
    Of course you might know this already, but I mentioned it because you used 'pity' as an adjective - you used it to describe your essays. In fact, 'pity' is a verb. It means 'feel sorry for'. Mr T in the A team used to use it a lot: 'I pity the fool who thinks he can take me on and live'.
    Confusingly, 'pity' can also be a noun, meaning 'something unfortunate', but this is quite old fashioned, so best not to think about it yet.

Unfortunately, I don't have any real advice except to keep going as you are. Presumably you're already reading books and seeing films in English. Practice makes perfect - as we say in English.
    Last edited by blp; 10-25-2005 at 05:46 AM.

Thank you for your help
    Study is forever because mind is a terrible thing to waste!

Naked Twilight

Logic and grammar

Advanced English courses include a study of logic. One of my favorite textbooks on the subject is The Holt Guide to English by William F. Irmscher. Mine was published in 1972, and I don't know if it is still in print. I'm sure there are many other books on English that include a study of logic.

Many flaws in logic and coherency can be discovered in reviewing one's own writing (after letting the text "cool" for a few days). However, school assignment deadlines often preclude that. It is good to let someone else (a roommate, for example) read the text. They do not have to be an expert in English grammar and/or logic to readily see flaws in logic and coherency, but I do recommend that they be a native English speaker. The more readers who review your work before you submit (or publish or post) it, the better.

With all due respect to an above reply, any editor of any prestigious publication will tell you one of the quickest ways to get a rejection slip is to begin a sentence with a conjunction, such as the word "But." If a writer uses Word 97 (or a higher version), it has a function called "spelling and grammar" which will catch such errors and offer suggestions for changing them. Having said that, one not thoroughly familiar with English should use Word's spelling and grammar function very carefully. If you watch The Tonight Show, with Jay Leno, you can see how relying too much on computers can become material for his "Headlines" segment on Monday nights. It becomes pathetic when writers, for example the Chinese, attempt to use traslator software to write instructions for the use of some commercial item. They seem to be trying to put an end to the profession of technical writers. Software will never replace the human brain; however, it can be very complementary in helping discover flaws in logic and coherency.

Pièce de Résistance Scheherazade's Avatar
    Hello Ceicil,

It can be quite frustrating not to be able to express oneself. I studied English as a secong language many years ago too and I agree with most of what has been said so far. I would also like to add that it is a slow process to be fluent in written English. So much so that even some native English speakers find it difficult.

-Make sure you have a good understanding of English grammar. A good book I can recommend, which is aimed at ESOL students, is English Grammar in Use by Murphy: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...books&n=507846
    It explains many confusing points very well and provides many reinforcing exercises.

-Keep your sentences short. In our desire to write as fluently and effectively as we could in our mother tongues, we ESOL learners sometimes make things harder for ourselves. If your sentences are short, it is less likely that you will make mistakes.

-Pay attention to subject/verb agreement.

-Give yourself time to review. You will notice your own mistakes after couple of days.

And don't forget that 'Practise makes perfect.' It is sometimes hard not to be discouraged but, believe me, it does get easier and better with practise.

If you have any specific questions, please don't hesitate to PM me.

Good luck with it all and welcome to the Forum!
    Last edited by Scheherazade; 11-04-2005 at 02:58 AM.
    ~
    "It is not that I am mad; it is only that my head is different from yours.”
    ~

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Exactly what my English teacher said to me

Quote Originally Posted by Scheherazade
    -Keep your sentences short. In our desire to write as fluently and effectively as we could in our mother tongues, we ESOL learners sometimes make things harder for ourselves. If your sentences are short, it is less likely that you will make mistakes.