Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sin

Sin

Let's talk about sin.
    What do you think sin is?

I think sin is the condition of being deprived from the truth, that is, God. Or, is it the cause of that condition? What if I don't believe in any god, can I sin? Mmmh.... Let's discuss it

Then dawns the Invisible Psycheinaboat's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    There are certain acts I consider a sin, but I really only hold myself to that standard.

Something I have always wondered about sin is why God would make us so imperfect and then punish us for those imperfections. I know many Christians beleive sin is the fault of Eve & Adam disobeying God, but wouldn't an omnipotent being know his creation was going to disobey. Why didn't He make us different if He wanted a different result?

Perhaps we are supposed to learn from our mistakes; this would make more sense to me than the idea that the Creator is going to toss us into a lake of fire for our mistakes.

Blog Entries
    Awe a good subject here and one that I may get carried away with but if that happens feel free to slap my hand. I am someone who does not believe in sin as written down by man. If you give a human being free will then you know that the human being is not going to walk a straight and narrow path. On the other hand believing in evil does make me living a double standard I guess. Guess it boils down to whether you believe you sinned or were just being human. I am just human who makes mistakes that she tries to learn from. Some people would not even understand forgiving a man who raped you. I did just that very thing and for a selfish reason which really was the right thing for me to do.

Words can either heal or harm I choose for my words to heal and do no harm.

Not politically correct Pendragon's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Exclamation

I really think that rather than talk of what I might consider sin and run the risk of seeming judgmental, I am going to just quote St. Paul, from Romans 14:22 "Hast thou faith? Have it to thyself before God. Happy is he that condemneth not himself in that thing which he alloweth." And that is sage advice. God bless.
    Some of us laugh
    Some of us cry
    Some of us smoke
    Some of us lie
    But it's all just the way
    that we cope with our lives...

Just a weirdo
    In my opinion....
    Anything you do that hurts another, is Sin.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    In such case, sin is as inapplicable as heaven/hell/god

Quote Originally Posted by bhekti
    What if I don't believe in any god, can I sin? Mmmh.... Let's discuss it

Quote Originally Posted by subterranean
    In such case, sin is as inapplicable as heaven/hell/god
    Are you saying that the reality of sin depends on whether or not one believes in God? (Please correct me, if im wrong)

Quote Originally Posted by Pendragon
    I really think that rather than talk of what I might consider sin and run the risk of seeming judgmental, I am going to just quote St. Paul, from Romans 14:22 "Hast thou faith? Have it to thyself before God. Happy is he that condemneth not himself in that thing which he alloweth." And that is sage advice. God bless.
    God bless you too

Sin is knowing something is wrong, yet doing it anyway. Everything good is from God... yes everything. But then, you may ask, what about all those pleasurable things that preachers preach against? God created pleasure, but satan can twist that and use it for evil. Screwtape Letters gives a nice little insite on this. I've heard people say, "What about money, isn't that the root of all evil?" No, the love of money is the root of all evil.
    Anyway... sin is disobeying the will of the Father. We may not always understand it... I know I don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Psycheinaboat
    There are certain acts I consider a sin, but I really only hold myself to that standard.

Something I have always wondered about sin is why God would make us so imperfect and then punish us for those imperfections. I know many Christians beleive sin is the fault of Eve & Adam disobeying God, but wouldn't an omnipotent being know his creation was going to disobey. Why didn't He make us different if He wanted a different result?

Perhaps we are supposed to learn from our mistakes; this would make more sense to me than the idea that the Creator is going to toss us into a lake of fire for our mistakes.
    God made us with a free will. I've often wondered why God even put the tree in the garden?? But He had to, to give them a free will. The wonderful thing about being a human being, made in His image, is the fact that we don't HAVE to serve Him. I know... here I am, a Christian, saying that it's wonderful that I don't HAVE to serve God. But that's one of the reasons I so WANT to, and that's what makes Him so happy. That's why we are able to make mistakes, and sin, and fall.... but just because we make a mistake, that's not why people go to hell... it's becuase they wouldn't serve Him.
    For what it's worth
    PerAnnum

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Who created the concept at the first place?

Since the era of cavemen, I think men already considered punishments as the price of their bad deeds to higher being. That's why the concept of offerings also exist since long time ago, to please gods, ask their forgiveness, ask mercy and prosperity.

If I'm an atheist, why would I bother..Wouldn't it be the same as asking whether the reality of heaven or hell depends on whether or not one believes in God? As I'm a theist, I suppose an atheist can help me out in this case.

Maybe we should first define the concept of "sin"...

Quote Originally Posted by bhekti
    Are you saying that the reality of sin depends on whether or not one believes in God? (Please correct me, if im wrong)
    Last edited by subterranean; 10-24-2005 at 08:10 PM.

If I'm an atheist, why would I bother..Wouldn't it be the same as asking whether the reality of heaven or hell depends on whether or not one believes in God? As I'm a theist, I suppose an atheist can help me out in this case.

Hello, atheists....?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Bhekti, maybe you would like to share some knowledge?
    Last edited by subterranean; 10-25-2005 at 09:35 PM.

Not politically correct Pendragon's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Exclamation

Here I go, again, hoping that I don't sound too preachy. I'm not here to force anyone to see things my way.

Sin: To know something is wrong and do it anyway (sins of commission)
    To know you should do something and refuse to do it (sins of omission)

That's why I quoted the scripture that I did. Romans 14:22 "Hast thou faith? Have it to thyself before God. Happy is he that condemneth not himself in that thing which he alloweth."
    Some of us laugh
    Some of us cry
    Some of us smoke
    Some of us lie
    But it's all just the way
    that we cope with our lives...

Bhekti, maybe you would like to share some knowledge?
    Sure! Mmmh.... well, sin is... or, let me put this way, we sin when we don't do something that we must do according to the way it can be truly done. And, that means we can never find ourselves sinless. Coz we always do something that we must not do, or don't do what we must do, or when we do it we don't do it the way it can be truly done. We are......just sinners.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I'm not sure whether an atheist would call/consider him/her self as a sinner when he/she did something which he/she know was not suppose to be done. I'm guessing that he/she would say that he/she did something wrong/inappropriate, yet to consider it as a sin ....Well, somehow I doubt that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast