Thread: Vocabulary!

the human trampoline

Vocabulary!

Anyone think they have any kind of bright ideas or tools or sources to improve ones vocab.?

Much appreciated,
    i just hate struggling more than i have to with certain books diction.
    All across the telegraph
    His name it did resound,
    But no charge held against him
    Could they prove.
    And there was no man around
    Who could track or chain him down,
    He was never known
    To make a foolish move.

Voice of Chaos & Anarchy
    In one of the branches of the multiverse, but I don't know which one.
    Blog Entries
    The easiest way to increase one's vocabulary is to read with a dictionary nearby and use the dictionary.

weer mijn koekjestrommel Schokokeks's Avatar
    oh yes, that's one of my problems, too, as I generally prefer to read books in the language they were composed, which incudes heaps of unknown English and French words.
    As PeterL already proposed, I think one can't get round reading with a dictionary, but I found a useful item on-line to make sure that the new-acquired words rest where one would like them to rest - in memory.

http://www.hemmer-online.de/vokabeltrainer/ provides the download of a program where one can register vocabulary and test oneself on it. Additionally it is possible to print the entered words as a list and to create accounts for every new language.
    The only disadvantage would be that the program is in German, but its icons are self-explanatory.
    "Where mind meets matter, both should woo!"
    Currently reading:
    * Paradise Lost by John Milton

if you happen to don't know a lot of words in the first place, and if you start looking up every word you don't know in the dictionary, then the process will just become tedious. plus, if you're like me 5 years ago, you're going to forget the word you just look up right away and have to look it up again the next time you see it.

first, i would go with the traditional way of memorizing a list of words. just memorize and read all of the definitions word per word until you get sick of them. also use pictures and other examples.

next, now that your vocab has improved, go ahead and always have a dictionary handy when you read. i'm not sure if this is going to work with everyone, but after i crammed the 500+ words for the sat, my memorization skill in general has improved, and so every new word i look up i usually remember instantly and permanently, although some of the sat words themselves i've forgotten.

The poet in the forest…
    I've found the most efficient way to increase one's vocabulary is to read a large variety of books. Shakespeare is great. Doyle. Tolkien. Whatever you like. And it does help to have a dictionary. I usually just write down words I hear or see and look them up later. (And try to use different words in your everyday conversation; it helps a lot.)
    Maybe from here on out we should simply stick to "the weather - that blessing of society."

avatar by John Pickman Wendigo_49's Avatar
    I have word of the day on my e-mail from dictionary.com which seems to improve my vocabulary.I seem to be able to remember the word and definition if I use it the same day I learn it.
    If you hate a person, you hate something in him that is part of yourself. What isn't part of ourselves doesn't disturb us.

Hermann Hesse
    Demian

Banned
    Blog Entries
    If you want to spend some dollars in it, there's this programme to exercise your vocabs (I don't remember the name as it's at home). It'll give you a word and you'll be asked to select one word (in the multiple selection), which has similiar meaning.

Blog Entries
    A very very quick google search turns up

http://www.vocabulary.com

Thanks for starting this thread, A Hard Rain. I read with a dictionary, but this has made me realise I need a bit more help remembering the words.

the human trampoline
    yeah, the dictionary is great with certain books that are around my level of vocab. However some works are too tedious and magniloquent to bring out the webster on every word.
    All across the telegraph
    His name it did resound,
    But no charge held against him
    Could they prove.
    And there was no man around
    Who could track or chain him down,
    He was never known
    To make a foolish move.

Play a game. Write down how many words, on a piece of paper, that you know of AND CAN DEFINE. Then count them up. Then, have people test you on others by having friends make flashcards of random words from the dictionary. that's how i'd do it. Or, get an SAT english/creative writing help booklet, then write all of the important words usually at the back on flashcards, and study 10 cards a week.

Then dawns the Invisible Psycheinaboat's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Keep a notecard in your book (you can use it as a bookmark) and write down unfamiliar words as you come across them. This allows you to look them up later and not interfere too much with your reading.