Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: What makes a classic novel?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_Gr...assical_Novels

Romance of the Three Kingdoms
    Journey to the West
    Water Margin
    Dream of the Red Chamber
    and Jin Ping Mei, though the fifth is a recent edition by modernist-contemporary scholars.

Thanks, the only one i have heard of is Dream of the Red Chamber.
    "bruised reed" Isaiah 42:3

Artist and Bibliophile stlukesguild's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    The Journey to the West was also known as Monkey or The Monkey King (the title by which my Chinese friend knew the work).
    Beware of the man with just one book. -Ovid
    The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the man who can't read them.- Mark Twain
    My Blog: Of Delicious Recoil
    http://stlukesguild.tumblr.com/

Hi there! I am currently writing an essay about Atonement and To Kill A Mockingbird and "nostalgia" in the two texts. I was supposed to pick two "classic" novels, and although I think I can safely say Harper Lee's novel is "classic", I'm not sure I can say the same for Atonement.

Just wanted to say thanks to the previous commenters as they gave me a lot to think about, so now I just need to find some critics to justify what you all said! Ugh, effort!

Wish me luck

Character

Maybe you could consider character as the defining factor of what makes a text classic. If you consider that all stories/novels/plots are reproductions of what has gone before (even Shakespeare is considered as rewriting previous plots) then surely everything should be considered classic.

However, the depth of character and reflection of human nature is what makes a text classic in my opinion. Especially with regards to Atonement; the story is revealed as false at the end, it is the charcter of Briony Tallis and her need to atone her wrongs that in my mind stand this in good stead to be considered a class.

Just something to consider.

Cool Harold Bloom says they (classics) are books ....

not sold at a supermarket. Seems like a good enough definition to me.

Artist and Bibliophile stlukesguild's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    You mean they don't sell annotated editions of Dante next to the spicy Doritos at your Piggly Wiggly?
    Beware of the man with just one book. -Ovid
    The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the man who can't read them.- Mark Twain
    My Blog: Of Delicious Recoil
    http://stlukesguild.tumblr.com/

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stlukesguild View Post
    You mean they don't sell annotated editions of Dante next to the spicy Doritos at your Piggly Wiggly?

I think I know what 'spicy Doritos' are, but wtf is a Piggly Wiggly? No, don't tell me, that's what search engines are for!
    docendo discimus

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dfloyd View Post
    not sold at a supermarket. Seems like a good enough definition to me.
    This kind of reminds me about what the definition of a classic movie is. A cynical marketing ploy perhaps?
    docendo discimus

what makes a Classic novel

Ok we've established that a classic novel stands the test of time, but what makes it do that.
    Dickens, Austen, Fitzgerald, Atwood, Swift and George Orwell novels all have one common thread, if none other else.They all critique Society! A Social critique is were there author, director, poet and playwright portrays issues relevant to soicety at a particular time, some use mediums of satire, comedy, parody, creativity, Metaphors or sometimes just plain bluntness to express their ideas. anyone could write endless essays on these topics, just remember that it leaves the reader with a lasting message after reading the novel, leaves the reader to question society and whats encompassed within society, and hopefully they have enough sense to come to a conclusion.

We cannot say it in a sentence what makes a novel classic. Of course there many things depending on different contexts and situations and of course in the case of Aynd Rand it is characterization that is more important than anything else. And she seemed to have been more focused on character building and keep aside the characters in her novels they becomes soulless. In Dickensian novels all that matter is plot and they are the spirit of his novels. Whereas in Dostoevsky I find pivotal things in his philosophy.

But all these things make novels novels and keeping one aside it will lose something very vital the way all limbs make a person full and therefore I cannot say one unimportant. The way our eyes, ears, nose have their distinct functions so are the things I have said in the novel

“Those who seek to satisfy the mind of man by hampering it with ceremonies and music and affecting charity and devotion have lost their original nature””

“If water derives lucidity from stillness, how much more the faculties of the mind! The mind of the sage, being in repose, becomes the mirror of the universe, the speculum of all creation.

A novel it's a classic if it deals with human feelings and behavior, and that it has survived time while not being forgotten.

Jonathan Franzen's The Corrections and Freedom are classic novels.
    No man should die without first reading the world's greatest literature.

As mentioned above, one of the things that makes classic novels classic is that they stand the test of time, they present the golden oldies, the universal themes in fresh ways. But for me, I think most classic novels tend to, to put it simply, have a plot and have characters that you relate to in some way.

Classic novels tend to not be rambling literary fiction that wanders off on tangents; classic novels have proper plots, well-defined characters, but also tend to, at the same time, explore universal themes while working within the boundaries of standard fiction.
    Last edited by ReadAll; 12-07-2010 at 10:34 AM.

It is a very good question and reading through the comments a very good discussion. Looking over the books that we do consider classics you can find that there are unique things about each which makes them a classic and this can differ between each. For some it may be their style of writing, others morality or philosophical issues but each of them has something original about them.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast