Thread: Scarlet Letter- Historical Context

Question Scarlet Letter- Historical Context

I really need help! My teacher assigned me a project on the historical context of the scarlet letter. The problem is that she wants things with "Profound Meaning!" and I have been having trouble finding anything on the subject. I guess that she wants things like the origin of the Black Man or perhaps the history of the Scarlet Letter in Puritan society buy I am realy not sure. I would greatly apreciate anyones help.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    It does have strong relations with the early puritan society in America . I can only suggest you to read one or two books about the history of this religious sect (hope that's the right term), their beliefs and nature towards others who didn't share the same beliefs, and then you link them with the novel.

Voice of Chaos & Anarchy
    In one of the branches of the multiverse, but I don't know which one.
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bibliophile171
    I really need help! My teacher assigned me a project on the historical context of the scarlet letter. The problem is that she wants things with "Profound Meaning!" and I have been having trouble finding anything on the subject. I guess that she wants things like the origin of the Black Man or perhaps the history of the Scarlet Letter in Puritan society buy I am realy not sure. I would greatly apreciate anyones help.
    If "historical context" is desired, then "Profound Meaning!" is not especially important. The Scarlet Letter is set in the mid 1600's in Puritan Boston. The Puritans were religious refuges fleeing to a place where their outrageously strict religious principles could be practiced, away from the loose morals of ordinary humans. The Massachusetts Bay Colony forbade everything that wasn't mandatory. It contrasted humorously with the Colony of New Plimouth immediately to the South. If you can find a copy of the "Orders in Council" of the Colony, you will see what kind of actions the authorities indulged in.

Search online and you will find a huge amount of information about the history of Massachusetts Bay Colony, but you might have trouble getting a feeling for the morals and sympathies of the time and place.