Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dan Brown

Dan Brown

im just starting to read the da vinche code ive heared its really good , im in to it already , i know its abit common but i find it really intresting .

does anyone know if im ment to read angels and demons first ??? ..

In Arden with a book
    'Angels and Demons' comes chronologically first, but there's no continuity, so you don't need to worry. I have heard, however, that 'Angels and Demons' is much better than 'The Da Vinci Code.' I've only read 'Da Vinci,' so I don't know. Personally, I thought it was fun, but I don't know what all the fuss is about.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosalind
    'Angels and Demons' comes chronologically first, but there's no continuity, so you don't need to worry. I have heard, however, that 'Angels and Demons' is much better than 'The Da Vinci Code.' I've only read 'Da Vinci,' so I don't know. Personally, I thought it was fun, but I don't know what all the fuss is about.
    What Rosalind said.
    Do, or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

Hmmm, I've read his three other novels (that's not really clear is it?). What I mean is that I haven't read Angles and Demons. I started with Da Vinci Code which I enjoyed even though it's rubbish. Then I read Disruption Point and found myself guessing everything that was coming next after reading less than half of the novel. Finally I read Digital Fotress and now I was guessing it all from the start. So once you're through with one of his novels, in your case Da Vinci Code, leave the others alone. It's always the same story, just different characters (although the man is invariably a professor and the girl a government agent).
    "And the worms, they will climb
    The rugged ladder of your spine"

It's not my own experience, but I've heard the before what Mark F. said. A friend of mine had read first 'The Da Vinci Code' (as did I) and after that 'Angels and Demons'. She had the feeling she was reading the same story again, so I didn't even try.

the dan brown formula: take one educated, single, nearly-perfect man. take one sharp, single, nearly-perfect woman. invent a world crisis and insert a lot of facts to make it look credible. put both man and woman in the case. add one assassin or three. let some unimportant characters die. let the man and the woman approach near-death. let the ostensibly-trustable person to reveal himself to be the one Behind It All. after the puzzle is solved, let the man and the woman get together and live happily ever after.

i like the deception point, though.

glossing my heartstrings HandBag's Avatar
    I was intrigued by the Da Vinci Code when it first came out, so i read it and was utterly let down.

the book is somewhat dull, predictable and hurridly written, as if he was more bothered about the concepts and not the execution of the plot itself. I can only imagine it sold lots of copies due to the controversy..

Quote Originally Posted by underground
    the dan brown formula: take one educated, single, nearly-perfect man. take one sharp, single, nearly-perfect woman. invent a world crisis and insert a lot of facts to make it look credible. put both man and woman in the case. add one assassin or three. let some unimportant characters die. let the man and the woman approach near-death. let the ostensibly-trustable person to reveal himself to be the one Behind It All. after the puzzle is solved, let the man and the woman get together and live happily ever after.
    You said the words right out of my mouth...
    "A man is not idle because he is absorbed in thought. There is a visible labor and there is an invisible labor."

In Arden with a book
    Quote Originally Posted by HandBag
    the book is somewhat dull, predictable and hurridly written, as if he was more bothered about the concepts and not the execution of the plot itself. I can only imagine it sold lots of copies due to the controversy..
    I guess there's just no explaining taste. The controversey probably was a big selling point, but I don't understand why so many people were up in arms about it, either. It's just a beach read. A fairly entertaining work of fiction. It wasn't meant to be a theological treatise, an expose on the life of Jesus, or a serious attack on the Catholic Church (well, I don't know how Mr. Brown feels about the Catholic Church, so for all I know it could be, but anyway...). What's all the hoolabaloo?

Quote Originally Posted by underground
    take one educated, single, nearly-perfect man. take one sharp, single, nearly-perfect woman. invent a world crisis and insert a lot of facts to make it look credible. put both man and woman in the case. add one assassin or three. let some unimportant characters die. let the man and the woman approach near-death. let the ostensibly-trustable person to reveal himself to be the one Behind It All. after the puzzle is solved, let the man and the woman get together and live happily ever after.
    I wouldn't be that mean! Da Vinci Code is obviously not the best piece of literature, but I believe most of today's bubblegum books can fit that mold if not one similar.
    "Do what you can, with what you have, where you are" Theodore Roosevelt

I personally loved The Da Vinci Code and I've almost finished Angels and Demons! They might be quite similar but I'm not letting that spoil me reading it. I think they are both really well written, I hate books that just drag on and on and don't get to the point.
    Books are the carriers of civillisation- Henri "Papillon" Charriere

glossing my heartstrings HandBag's Avatar
    beach reading books as they are called are not for me, if i engage myself between pages i like it to be delicious.

Dan Brown will be in the bargin bin quite soon i imagine.

Yeah, I can picture his books in every second hand store next year.
    "And the worms, they will climb
    The rugged ladder of your spine"

on the other side tiny explorer's Avatar
    Me too, just starting to read it. I browsed in the net on others view on the book...Most say it's FULL of blasphemy.The words written were really breaking Christian faith...It's full of nagativity.It drives me not to read it at all....maybe i got a little scared.
    SSSSIMPLY _SHREWD

In Arden with a book
    Yeah, some people consider it blasphemous because it suggests some pretty radical things about the life of Jesus. I think they're overreacting, because the book is a novel, not a theological or historical paper. It's not meant to be taken seriously. Furthermore, if those who challenge the book could see it as a opening of good discussion as opposed to a threat, they might find it to their advantage.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast