Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fever 1793, Laurie Halse Anderson; My favorite All Time Book!!!!!!!!!!!!

IdTakeABulletForYou

Cool Fever 1793, Laurie Halse Anderson; My favorite All Time Book!!!!!!!!!!!!

Editorial Reviews

Amazon.com
    On the heels of her acclaimed contemporary teen novel Speak, Laurie Halse Anderson surprises her fans with a riveting and well-researched historical fiction. Fever 1793 is based on an actual epidemic of yellow fever in Philadelphia that wiped out 5,000 people--or 10 percent of the city's population--in three months. At the close of the 18th century, Philadelphia was the bustling capital of the United States, with Washington and Jefferson in residence. During the hot mosquito-infested summer of 1793, the dreaded yellow fever spread like wildfire, killing people overnight. Like specters from the Middle Ages, gravediggers drew carts through the streets crying "Bring out your dead!" The rich fled to the country, abandoning the city to looters, forsaken corpses, and frightened survivors.
    In the foreground of this story is 16-year-old Mattie Cook, whose mother and grandfather own a popular coffee house on High Street. Mattie's comfortable and interesting life is shattered by the epidemic, as her mother is felled and the girl and her grandfather must flee for their lives. Later, after much hardship and terror, they return to the deserted town to find their former cook, a freed slave, working with the African Free Society, an actual group who undertook to visit and assist the sick and saved many lives. As first frost arrives and the epidemic ends, Mattie's sufferings have changed her from a willful child to a strong, capable young woman able to manage her family's business on her own. (Ages 12 and older) --Patty Campbell--This text refers to the Hardcover edition.

From Publishers Weekly
    The opening scene of Anderson's ambitious novel about the yellow fever epidemic that ravaged Philadelphia in the late 18th century shows a hint of the gallows humor and insight of her previous novel, Speak. Sixteen-year-old Matilda "Mattie" Cook awakens in the sweltering summer heat on August 16th, 1793, to her mother's command to rouse and with a mosquito buzzing in her ear. She shoos her cat from her mother's favorite quilt and thinks to herself, "I had just saved her precious quilt from disaster, but would she appreciate it? Of course not." Mattie's wit again shines through several chapters later during a visit to her wealthy neighbors' house, the Ogilvies. Having refused to let their serving girl, Eliza, coif her for the occasion, Mattie regrets it as soon as she lays eyes on the Ogilvie sisters, who wear matching bombazine gowns, curly hair piled high on their heads ("I should have let Eliza curl my hair. Dash it all"). But thereafter, Mattie's character development, as well as those of her grandfather and widowed mother, takes a back seat to the historical details of Philadelphia and environs. Extremely well researched, Anderson's novel paints a vivid picture of the seedy waterfront, the devastation the disease wreaks on a once thriving city, and the bitterness of neighbor toward neighbor as those suspected of infection are physically cast aside. However, these larger scale views take precedence over the kind of intimate scenes that Anderson crafted so masterfully in Speak. Scenes of historical significance, such as George Washington returning to Philadelphia, then the nation's capital, to signify the end of the epidemic are delivered with more impact than scenes of great personal significance to Mattie. Ages 10-14. (Sept.)
    Copyright 2000 Reed Business Information, Inc.--This text refers to the Hardcover edition.

See all Editorial Reviews

Inside This Book
    First Sentence:
    I woke to the sound of a mosquito whining in my left ear and my mother screeching in the right. Read the first page
    Statistically Improbable Phrases (SIPs):
    summer grippe, orphan house, fever victims
    Capitalized Phrases (CAPs):
    King George, Mother Smith, Bush Hill, High Street, President Washington, Nathaniel Benson, Benjamin Rush Letter, Free African Society, John Walsh, Master Peale, Mattie Cook, Miss Cook, Fourth Street, Cook Coffeehouse, Polly Logan, Captain William Farnsworth Cook, Reverend Allen, Pernilla Ogilvie, Stephen Girard
    New!
    Customers who viewed this book also viewed
    Catalyst by Laurie Halse Anderson
    Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson
    Prom by Laurie Halse Anderson
    Kira-Kira (Newbery Medal Book) by Cynthia Kadohata
    An American Plague : The True and Terrifying Story of the Yellow Fever Epidemic of 1793 (Newbery Honor Book) by Jim Murphy
    Bring Out Your Dead: The Great Plague of Yellow Fever in Philadelphia in 1793 (Studies in Health Illness and Caregiving) by J. H. Powell
    Explore Similar Items: in Books, in DVD

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Spotlight Reviews
    Write an online review and share your thoughts with other customers.

52 of 55 people found the following review helpful:

A girl fights to survive in the 1793 yellow fever epidemic., August 14, 2000
    Reviewer: Rebecca Herman (USA) - See all my reviews

It's the late summer of 1793 in Philadelphia, and fourteen-year-old Mattie Cook helps her widowed mother and her grandfather run a coffehouse. Mattie resents her strict mother and dreams of expanding the coffeehouse and becoming wealthy. But her mother seems determined to find a wealthy young man to marry Mattie off to. But all of Mattie's concerns soon seem petty when an epidemic of yellow fever begins to spread throughout the city. Mattie's own mother falls ill and sends Mattie and her grandfather to stay on a farm in the countryside, where she hopes they will be safe. But they are turned away and forced to return to Philadelphia when a doctor mistakes her grandfather's cough for yellow fever. Mattie comes down with the fever and nearly dies, but is nursed back to health in a temporary hospital. But she and her grandfather return to the coffeehouse to find that Mattie's mother has vanished. They try to settle back into a normal routine, but a sudden tragedy soon leaves Mattie on her own. Now, in a world turned upside down, in a ghost city a shadow of its former self, Mattie must keep herself alive and care for a little girl orphaned by the epidemic. This was an excellant historical novel that brought to life the epidemic. Through Mattie's first-person narration, I became immersed in the daily events of her life and her fight for survival. Highly reccomended.

Was this review helpful to you?
    fascinating yet distant, June 9, 2003
    Reviewer: Gwen A Orel- See all my reviews

This is a fascinating account of a devastating fever epidemic in Philadelphia, then the capital of the United States, in 1793. Nearly overnight-- people contract the disease and die within the hour-- Mattie's life goes from being a slightly overworked teenage daughter of a proprietor of a successful coffee house, to a young woman struggling to survive in a city that's taken on the bleakness of a Mad Max film.
    Yet somehow we never come as close to Mattie as we might, or as we do with the main character in Anderson's SPEAK. Mattie's thoughts are so much on survival and on food that at times the book feels a bit like a travelogue of a disaster. Salvation, when it comes, also seems abrupt. In the end, this is a quick way to get an immediate feel for a terrible time in history, but although we are told a lot about Mattie, her family, her hopes and dreams, somehow she stays elusive. Emotionally, the book is a little disappointing, but it's still well worth a read.

Was this review helpful to you? (Report this)
    Customer Reviews
    Average Customer Review:
    Write an online review and share your thoughts with other customers.

Great Story Set In The Time Of A Forgotten Biological Disaster, September 22, 2005
    Reviewer: Ellie Reasoner (Mason, Ohio, USA) - See all my reviews
    Laurie Halse Anderson shows how good a "teen girl" genre book can be in this amazing fact-filled tragic novel set during a time of extraordinary human crisis. In 1793, an epidemic of yellow fever killed one in ten citizens of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, formerly capital of our nation. Anderson's plot is set during that terrible summer as the teenaged heroine, Mattie, faces the outbreak and its manifold horrors at times alone, and sometimes with those she knows. As thousands are dying--as many as five-hundred per day in a city of fifty-thousand--those who remain in the plague-stricken town must also contend with looters, with brutal roaming criminals who have escaped the un-guarded prisons, with the absence of food and supplies, with the constant threat of fire, that ubiquitous foe of urban spaces during summertime. Shunned by those outside the city, soon deprived of the company of those she knew in her daily life, young Mattie is compelled to fend for herself and face the horrid madness of this time alone.

Anderson's novel recreates a time of almost unimaginable awfulness and simultaneously introduces an adolescent heroine whose bravery must surely have been like that of some real life Philadelphians who truly resided in that great city under siege by plague. Anderson also, I should mention, has crafted one of the best portraits of eighteenth-century US life I've ever read.

Excellent book, September 8, 2005
    A Kid's Review
    For school Lit Circles i picked this book.I just couldn't
    stop reading.It's about a girl named Matilda who lives in a town.Matilda starts hearing stories about a fever spreading when people start dying.She now has one goal, to stay alive.

Excellent book, September 8, 2005
    A Kid's Review
    For school Lit Circles i picked this book.I just couldn't
    stop reading.It's about a girl named Matilda who lives in a town.Matilda starts hearing stories about a fever spreading when people start dying.She now has one goal, to stay alive.
    I have 853 poems online. Please check some out:

My Poems

In Arden with a book
    Have you read 'Speak'? It's absolutely incredible.

I've heard 'Fever' recccomended, but I've never had time to pick it up. Maybe I should make time...

IdTakeABulletForYou
    I LOVED IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How about.... Catalyst... absolutely irrisistable!!!!!!!!!!

My Poems

In Arden with a book
    Wow, that book was amazing--absolutely heart breaking. And she didn't make it sentimental, which would have completely ruined the affect.

No, I haven't read 'Catalyst,' either. I heard Ms. Anderson give an interview about it, and of course I made a mental note to check it out, and of course, unfortunate situations (*coughSCHOOLcough*) got in the way.

So, assuming I have time for one more book on my already lengthy Christmas vacation to-read list, would you reccomend 'Catalyst' or 'Fever'?

Thanks.

IdTakeABulletForYou
    Want more!?
    LOL
    JK
    If you want
    i can give you hundreds
    The House of the Scorpion...
    Homecoming...
    The Supernaturalists...
    The Alex Rider Series...
    I can go on and on...

My Poems

In Arden with a book
    Oo, I really enjoyed 'House of the Scorpion.' 'The Supernaturalst' is a fun half hour, but I have a soft spot in my heart for the Artemis Fowl books. I'm afraid I'm not familiar with Alex Rider...?

Actually, though I was asking for either/or between 'Fever' and 'Catalyst.' As much as I would love to read every book that plaintively calls to me from the library shelf, there's that little issue of papers/projects/homework/24-hour-days. So many books, so little time and teachers' mercy.

IdTakeABulletForYou
    YOu're a teacher?????

My Poems

IdTakeABulletForYou
    If you are, i forever hate you!!!!!!!!!!
    lol
    jk

My Poems

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosalind
    but I have a soft spot in my heart for the Artemis Fowl books. I'm afraid I'm not familiar with Alex Rider...?
    Same here. I really do like Artemis Fowl a LOT

You can't dislike people because of their jobs (lol).... what if I said that I was a teacher?

In Arden with a book
    Umm....where did that conclusion come from? No, I'm student with too much work to do much leisure reading, especially in the YA department.

Life's an illusion. YellowCrayola's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by samercury

You can't dislike people because of their jobs (lol).... what if I said that I was a teacher?
    I agree. Do you have something against teachers, yellowlime? Just curious.

Well, I think teachers being members of this forum is a tremendous thing. This forum is for everyone!

I'm rambling, so as with Laurie Halsen Anderson, I've only read one of her books, which was Fever, and I thought it great. Since you guys suggested Catalyst, I'll add that to my reading list.
    "...You can say anything you want, yessir, but it's the words that sing, they soar and descend.... I bow to them... I love them, I cling to them, I run them down. I bite into them, I melt them down.... I love words so much... The unexpected ones....The ones I wait for greedily or stalk until, suddenly, they drop..." -Pablo Neruda

In Arden with a book
    Have you read 'The Opal Deception'? That had some truly great moments! (truffles)
    Any idea when 'Lost Colony' comes out, anyone?

Agreed on teachers--you've got to admire anyone who devotes themselves to a low paying job involving little off-time and a bunch of kids who probably don't want to be there. Teaching different kinds of heroes in literature, my ninth grade English teacher once said "All English teachers are romantic heroes. They are idealists who try and do the impossible--hammer knowledge into freshmen brains!"
    Last edited by Rosalind; 10-03-2005 at 11:37 PM.

IdTakeABulletForYou
    No, i was just kidding.

My Poems

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosalind
    Have you read 'The Opal Deception'? That had some truly great moments! (truffles)
    Any idea when 'Lost Colony' comes out, anyone?
    Do you mean The Opal Deception as in Artemis Fowl or is it some other book? Just wanted to know

PS: Yellow Crayola, I absolutely LOVE your avatar

IdTakeABulletForYou
    Yes, it was lacking descripiton though... the opal deception of ARTEMIS FOWL!

My Poems

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast