Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 1 of 13 12345611 ... LastLast

Thread: Your favourite film

Grand Equal of Heaven

Your favourite film

There's always been a lot of "what's your favourite" topics, but I don't think I've ever seen a favourite film one, and we're always referring to films we like...so...
    What's everyone's favourite films? Or ones that we've seen recently and liked.
    My top 5 would be
    Pulp Fiction
    Dr Zhivago
    Dr Strangelove
    One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
    Ben Hur

to name five out of many.

Ever Benevolent and Wise
    I would choose One Flew over the Cuckoos nest too but so many others including Orphee (Orpheus) By Jean Cocteau.

Citizen Kane (without a doubt)
    Somewhere in Time
    Breakfast at Tiffanys
    Roman Holiday ( I love Audrey Hepburn)
    The Lord of the Rings Trilogy are fast becoming my favorites but so far, I liked the books better.
    Hwæt! We Gar-Dena in geardagum,/Þeodcuninga þrum gefrunon,/hu ða æþelingas ellen fremedon!
    Oft Scyld Scefing sceaþena þreatum,/ monegum mægþum, meodosetla ofteah,/ egsode eorlas, syððan ærest wearð/ feasceaft funden; he þæs frofre gebad,/ weox under wolcnum, weorðmyndum þah,/ oðþæt him æghwylc þara ymbsittendra/ofer hronrade hyran scolde,/gomban gyldan. Þæt wæs god cyning!

oh jeeze...ben hurr...bad band memories...::screeming and holding head:: lol. Right now i like Pirates of the Carr. Jonny Depp...too funny!
    :Chardata the Fire Mage:

Out of the darkness I come...
    watch the flames engulf my body,
    watch the flames consume your mind...
    there is no way to break my trance...
    your mind is lost in the flames...
    my flames.
    Oh, my beautiful flames!

Re: Your favourite film

'Dr. Strangelove', heh . . . that one is awesome. But, geez, picking a favorite . . . that's no modest task. Erm, I like Kubrick but I don't think my favorite film is one of his. I also like Peter Jackson ('The Lord of the Rings' trilogy and the basement comedy, 'Meet the Feebles') right now, but it's too early to tell if he is my favorite director ('Meet the Feebles' is wild, still digesting it). There is one movie that I like in particular called 'Tenebrae' by the Italian director Dario Argento. The score is phenomenal (a horror-style 80s techno-pop), and the stale, incandescent lighting sets a rather dry mood for a pretty shocking blood-bath. But I suppose tasteless horror isn't very popular anymore.

I`d name:
    Pulp Fiction
    Gone with the Wind
    Sherlock Holmes (Russian version) + old Russian movies, 70`s - 80`s really enjoy those......and generally,
    i dont watch movies that much...i`m more into music... :P

movie...

I am new in this forum and a newbie in general.I love movies ,so here are
    some of my recent favourite ones...

The Lord Of the Rings (of course the books are better ,as usual)
    Amelie
    It's all about love
    Hero
    The Matrix
    :oops:
    And you, my father, there on the sad height,
    Curse, bless, me now with your fierce tears, I pray.
    Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Do not go gentle into that good night
    Dylan Thomas

Just had to say...

I saw Luther this weekend, and it was excellent! It hasn't been advertised, so I wanted to recommend it. Unfortunately, my husband and I had been planning to write the screenplay on the history of Luther ourselves. Obviously, someone beat us to it! But we can say after all our research, it is historically accurate in all of it except the part where the boy hangs himself.

Oh, and if anyone here is Catholic and goes to see it, please keep an open mind, and understand that it is simply history, not necessarily an attack on the Catholic church.
    Hwæt! We Gar-Dena in geardagum,/Þeodcuninga þrum gefrunon,/hu ða æþelingas ellen fremedon!
    Oft Scyld Scefing sceaþena þreatum,/ monegum mægþum, meodosetla ofteah,/ egsode eorlas, syððan ærest wearð/ feasceaft funden; he þæs frofre gebad,/ weox under wolcnum, weorðmyndum þah,/ oðþæt him æghwylc þara ymbsittendra/ofer hronrade hyran scolde,/gomban gyldan. Þæt wæs god cyning!

smeghead
    i've probably seen my best friend's wedding the most of any movie, but it's not my fave.. i guess i don't really have a fave. i really liked good will hunting. did u know matt damon and ben whatshisname wrote that themselves?
    Don't part with your illusions. When they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live.
    (Mark Twain)

I liked Good Will Hunting too, Robin Williams is one of my favorite actors. I used to like My Best Friends Wedding, but I had sort of a falling out with it. My Best friend and I had made a pact like that, then we did get engaged, broke it off, and now I'm minus a best friend and a good movie.

Robin Williams lived not too far from my home in Livonia. Growing up, he went to school at Cranbrook (one of the most prestigious private schools in the country, which is where the inspiration for 'The Dead Poets Society' came from). Happy Thursday's Present of Knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by AbdoRinbo
    Robin Williams lived not too far from my home in Livonia. Growing up, he went to school at Cranbrook (one of the most prestigious private schools in the country, which is where the inspiration for 'The Dead Poets Society' came from). Happy Thursday's Present of Knowledge.
    Are there a lot of tributes to him there? He's rather genius in his wit, in my opinion. I saw him do an improve segment on Inside the Actors Studio, absolutely hilarious!!

Williams is one of the most gifted actors around. Jim Carrey, too, but they are very different.

All of my favorite films are comedies. I don't watch too much of the dramatic stuff, that's what I read. "Dumb and Dumber" ranks up there as my favorite film, with at least fifty viewings. I also like those teen movies that take place in high schools.

It's hard to pick a favorite, but the following are some that I either enjoyed immensely or that deeply moved me:
    Singin' in the Rain
    Schindler's List
    A River Runs Through It
    There's Something About Mary
    Both Harry Potter films
    Both Lord of the Ring films
    Smoke Signals
    "I too am not a bit tamed, I too am untranslatable, / I sound my barbaric yawp over the roofs of the world."--Walt Whitman

Grand Equal of Heaven
    I have to mention and strongly recommend one film that I saw for the second time last night (and trekked all the way to the opposite side of the city to do so) called Russian Ark, which I assume some forumers may have heard of already.

It is the first film ever to be done in one take, it goes for 90 minutes and it takes the viewer through Russian history and it's art. It is both spectacular and beautiful, and especially the last 20 minutes are absolutely amazing. I had tears in my eyes when it finished, I don't know why exactly, maybe just because it was such a beautiful journey altogether.

Page 1 of 13 12345611 ... LastLast