Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Religious Backgrounds

Religious Backgrounds

Obviously, on this forum, we have many members of different backgrounds, and I wondered if any of you came from a religious background. So I have a few questions, not only for myself, but for anyone's information: did you get raised in any specific religion as a child, what did you think of it, and have you changed since then, altering your religion or beliefs? Lastly, do you see yourself ever drastically changing your religion or beliefs again?
    I thought of creating a poll for this thread, but judged that a poll may seem too limiting with only so many choices. I feel greatly interested in the drift-and-shift of thought, so to speak - what one gets raised with, how it changes his/her perspective, and where one proceeds.
    As in any thread, I think it very important to obey the forum rules by respecting other members' beliefs, backgrounds, and diversity of thought.

I will start, answering my own questions. My parents and grandparents raised me Christian (though not baptized until about age 8 as Catholic), and I attended Sunday morning church every week with my grandparents (and sometimes one parent).
    Of course, as a child, I thought most of the sermons somewhat boring, but as I grew older, I got more and more interested. I had always loved science, suddenly, I had a large interest in the natural sciences, philosophy, psychology, and the like. From there, as I termed in a few other threads, I suppose I label myself as a skeptic-spiritual theist.

----------
    Last edited by underground; 10-18-2006 at 12:05 AM. Reason: paranoia

heyyy,nice topicas we know people dont like talking about their religious beliefs.they prefer to hide it.i dont know what i can tell...i m Muslim.i cant say i m very religious but i believe in God.maybe there r a few more muslim users in the forum.i dont think the religion is highly related to ur family.i cant deny parents influence us but if u dont believe,u just pretend to believe,u only deceive other people.i cant judge others' opinions about religion.if u think about the world,urself and many things;i m sure u will believe that God exists.the prb is that when u think a lot,u go mad so i dont advise it.just try to see it.everyone can have different opinions.what important is that we should respect others' beliefs.

Blog Entries
    I was raised without any religion but to look at each faith and see what suited me. My parents are both Spiritualist's and I did not have any faith until about ten years ago which is Spiritualist also. Except I practice differently from my parents. My parents did not want me to believe as they did but knew I had to find my own spiritual path as they did.
    Last edited by Ancestor; 09-25-2005 at 12:47 AM.

Words can either heal or harm I choose for my words to heal and do no harm.

Life's an illusion. YellowCrayola's Avatar
    Yes, I was raised by a specific religion as a child, which was Catholicism. I couldn't really understand it when I was young, but I could remember going to church a lot and praying alone by myself. Well, I lost it for 5 years, but I found God again last summer. Now that I'm older, I think that my religion suits me well, and no, I haven't changed. I don't think I'm going to be able to change my religion, I like it just the way it is--strict and devoted.
    "...You can say anything you want, yessir, but it's the words that sing, they soar and descend.... I bow to them... I love them, I cling to them, I run them down. I bite into them, I melt them down.... I love words so much... The unexpected ones....The ones I wait for greedily or stalk until, suddenly, they drop..." -Pablo Neruda

Blog Entries
    I was born a Catholic, was raised a Catholic, and God willing, I will die a Catholic. I profess to be Catholic, though perhaps, I am at times too evil to be a good catholic, it is still the religion I profess, cherish, follow, and would die for.

---------------
    Stanislaw Lem
    1921 - 2006, Rest In Peace.
    "Faith is, at one and the same time, absolutely necessary and altogether impossible"

Not politically correct Pendragon's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Thumbs up

Yes, I was raised a Protestant Christian, non-denominational. I became an ordained minister in1981. Due to problems that I cannot go into on open forum, I left the church in 1994 because I was no longer welcome there. That was a strong blow to my Christianity and I felt like just giving up and throwing in the towel. But there is a beautiful promise in Isaiah 61 that deals with people in my situation. "I will give you beauty for ashes..." That promise has helped me hold on. I do think differently than I was raised, for now I think more about what would Christ do in the same situation. I can't see Christ throwing anyone out, or giving up on anybody when He said "Come unto me all ye who that labor and heavy laden and I will give you rest." So I'll go to anyone and I have time for anybody.
    Some of us laugh
    Some of us cry
    Some of us smoke
    Some of us lie
    But it's all just the way
    that we cope with our lives...

I think I qualify as an agnostic, with pagan tendencies.
    ---------------
    My Website.
    http://e-nexusone.com/
    For gamers, artists, and thinkers.

I was born Catholic and semi raised Catholic. I went to Catholic school until I graduated High School. My grandparents went to church every sunday, but my parents did not.

Now, I'm kind of a lapsed Catholic. I kind of blame it on the schooling, especially grade school. I remember the nuns telling us that when you get to heaven all you'll want to do is to gaze upon the face of the lord. Now how can you tell that to a 4th grader and have them think that's a good thing. I couldn't sit still for 5 minutes and I'm being told I'm gonna sit still for all eternity... Or in school the one nun used to make us stand up in class if we didn't go to church on sunday and we had to explain to her why.....

The Catholics have so many trappings it makes it hard to believe in that religion, I've done some reading but have yet to find anything that has made me exclaim "Ahh Haaa this makes sense, this is my new religion". They all have some sort of weirdness to them (religions I mean). I can get with the central core of Catholcism and I guess that will have to be enough.
    Do, or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

I'm raised protestant, going to church every week, praying before dinner, christian schools. When I was 18 I left home to go to University. At that moment I didn't do anythin about believing, it didn't matter to me and wasn't part of my life.
    Somehow, something happened and brought my attention back to the bible again when I was 19. I started thinking and by the age of 20 I made the choice to believe in God, so I'm a Christian, protestant with a little bit of evangelism in me, still not found a church where I belong.

Blog Entries
    I was raised a Protestant (even though I went to a Catholic school most of grade school) and I'be been one so far and try to do my best to live up to the my parents are(?)... Anyways I don't see myself changing religion anytime during my lifetime.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendragon
    Yes, I was raised a Protestant Christian, non-denominational. I became an ordained minister in1981. Due to problems that I cannot go into on open forum, I left the church in 1994 because I was no longer welcome there. That was a strong blow to my Christianity and I felt like just giving up and throwing in the towel. But there is a beautiful promise in Isaiah 61 that deals with people in my situation. "I will give you beauty for ashes..." That promise has helped me hold on. I do think differently than I was raised, for now I think more about what would Christ do in the same situation. I can't see Christ throwing anyone out, or giving up on anybody when He said "Come unto me all ye who that labor and heavy laden and I will give you rest." So I'll go to anyone and I have time for anybody.
    We all go down paths that seem to make us want to give but then suddenly you find the strength to move forward and go on. I hope that you still are a Minister and that you share your journey of struggle to those whom may be struggling now. It appears you still fall once in a while but you do not let it keep you chained down. It is nice to have met you Pendragon and it nice to see so many good people here.

I was raised a Presbyterian Protestant in a family that didn't really try to impose anything on me, but still insisted I go to church, though I know in my early years my dad didn't believe either.

However, I always felt I lacked something. I knew memory verses and what i was supposed to do and feel. I went to Sunday school and everyone told me that when times were hard I should turn to God or look at the Bible for guidance, but this instinct never came. If I've a problem I deal with it in my own way, and nothing my religion taught me impinges on that.

Sometimes I truly want to believe completely, but it's like there's something about me that means I can't just believe. I envy others for having that faith that I somehow can't attain. However I know if I do turn to a god again, it won't be the Christian one. Though my father wants me to attend church and at least soak in some of its atmosphere, if not its ways, I can't stand it. I see people round me who on one hand will try to make me convert to their face and talk about morals and human goodness; and then with the other will drink theirselves to oblivion on a Saturday night, sleeping around and backstabbing in the process. Where I live, the church is another popularity contest-I've seen my dad try and try for years to gain some standing in our church, on the basis of his strong beliefs, but he will never get to have a teaching or leading role in it just because he doesn't know the right people.

However, though I don't follow the faith as such, I still find myself part of the Protestant lifestyle. On a census form, I always refer to myself as such and I'm proud of my cultural heritage. Living in Northern Ireland, religion is a central part of your life, regardless of what you believe. I still go and watch Orange parades, though take no part in or condone the riots in Belfast at the moment.

I was brought up in the Episcopal Church, both baptized and confirmed, attended every Sunday. When I hit college age I found myself very active at the Catholic Center and converted, and was re-confirmed! I almost became a cloistered nun! I am now rather lapsed and when I do go I attend either an Episcopal service or Mass at the local Catholic Church. I am a mixture of both, honestly, but really want to decide between the two and make a home for myself.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by becca2389
    I was raised a Presbyterian Protestant in a family that didn't really try to impose anything on me, but still insisted I go to church, though I know in my early years my dad didn't believe either.

However, I always felt I lacked something. I knew memory verses and what i was supposed to do and feel. I went to Sunday school and everyone told me that when times were hard I should turn to God or look at the Bible for guidance, but this instinct never came. If I've a problem I deal with it in my own way, and nothing my religion taught me impinges on that.

Sometimes I truly want to believe completely, but it's like there's something about me that means I can't just believe. I envy others for having that faith that I somehow can't attain. However I know if I do turn to a god again, it won't be the Christian one. Though my father wants me to attend church and at least soak in some of its atmosphere, if not its ways, I can't stand it. I see people round me who on one hand will try to make me convert to their face and talk about morals and human goodness; and then with the other will drink theirselves to oblivion on a Saturday night, sleeping around and backstabbing in the process. Where I live, the church is another popularity contest-I've seen my dad try and try for years to gain some standing in our church, on the basis of his strong beliefs, but he will never get to have a teaching or leading role in it just because he doesn't know the right people.

However, though I don't follow the faith as such, I still find myself part of the Protestant lifestyle. On a census form, I always refer to myself as such and I'm proud of my cultural heritage. Living in Northern Ireland, religion is a central part of your life, regardless of what you believe. I still go and watch Orange parades, though take no part in or condone the riots in Belfast at the moment.

Welcome to the forum becca2389 and I hope that you will enjoy this forum as much as we all do. Perhaps you should look at it another way that there is nothing wrong with your faith but the people whom go to your church that is the problem. Faith usually is not flawed but the people whom practice the faith that are flawed. Sounds like your faith is strong but the people within your church are not people of true faith. I hope that I did not say anything wrong just wanted to state a opinion.
    Last edited by Ancestor; 09-30-2005 at 09:21 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast