• Emma 1996

0 0%
  • Sense and Sensibility (1995)

0 0%
  • Pride and Prejudice (2006)

0 0%

Thread: Help on Research Paper

Help on Research Paper

I am doing a research paper on Jane Austen and the movies based on her books. i would love anyone's opinion about any of the movies. also why do people keep making new versions, what attracts people to her movies etc?

PS Hi to everyone sorry i'm been away for awhile
    Trying to forget someone you love is like trying to remember someone you have never met.

bump bump bump
    Trying to forget someone you love is like trying to remember someone you have never met.

Pièce de Résistance Scheherazade's Avatar
    Austen's books provide good parodies of Victorian society; they are informative but also humourous, which make them probably more popular than their contemporaries. However, the real attraction stems from the fact that the characters in her books, whether they are likeable or not, are portrayed beautifully and somewhat universal.

Pride and Prejudice (1995) This is one of my favorites... It was made for TV but characters and casting are work really well.

Pride and Prejudice (1980) This is the first one I watched, again on TV... At the time, I hadn't read the book (didn't even know that it existed) but I loved it. I am not sure how it compared to the 1995 version because it has been such a long time; would like to watch them again and compare.

Emma (1996) This one was a big disappointment for me. Somehow the casting did not work even though there were pretty big names involved. Especially Toni Collette's portrayal of Harriet Smith was... *shudders* She looked like Gwyneth Paltrow's mother in the movie rather than little protege.

Sense and Sensibility (1995) Another disappointing adoptation for me... Great names, great failure. I think Emma Thompson looked like Hugh Grants' mother... And we all know Hugh is good in roles which requires him to flick his floppy hair... I remember being bored while watching the movie.
    ~
    "It is not that I am mad; it is only that my head is different from yours.”
    ~

thank you for your input i really appreciate it

sorry i forgot sense and sensibility there are so many

also there is a new Pride and Prejudice coming out Sept 23 here in the USA with Keira Knightly in it

I apologize, shortysweetp. I did notice this thread, but have not seen any of the films based on Jane Austen's works, partially out of a very pessimistic fear of seeing movies made after such brilliant novels.
    I just thought to let you know in a friendly manner, notifying you that I did not intend to ignore the thread.

thank you. hope you and pysche have been doing well

bump , , ,

anyone else have an opinion???

Wednesday, I went to a store, and found two DVDs, two different versions of Pride and Prejudice, one for $20 and the more recent for $50. But, I really wanted to buy a copy of Pynchon's Gravity's Rainbow, and I need to budget both time and money. I did re-read the novel last year, and I like it much better now, than when I was age 16, but I decided that I am not sufficiently enthusiastic about it to make some worthwhile contribution. I did give it serious consideration. The spirit was willing but the flesh was weak.

jane austen movies

anyone else interested in commenting???