Thread: Humor-comedy

Humor-comedy

Can anyone cite specific examples of Humor and comedy in Great Expectations, thanks!
    Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.
    -Theodore Roosevelt

Yikes! That sounds nearly as difficult as spotting tragedy in Shakespeare's A Comedy Of Errors.
    I think it really depends on the idea of 'comedy,' as the classic example defines as merely a story with a happy ending, but I know what you mean.
    Well, when you really think of the concept of Miss Havisham's almost unspoken of plot to take revenge on men, after getting jilted by her fiancé minutes before marriage, I suppose that can seem somewhat humorous. How she tempts Pip by the tantalizing ways of Estella, I often wondered if Miss Havisham actually taught Estella to tease so cruelly.
    Joe, Pip's brother-in-law, I know, gets picked on a lot by his wife, known only as Mrs. Joe. In a way, I really feel sorry for Joe, but can seem some dark humor there, with Mrs. Joe's "tickler" cane, which she used to command at Joe and Pip.
    The conclusion to the novel, I think, ends in any way but with comedy. True, it ends in Pip's hopes and "expectations," after meeting Estella again, but her fate, in fact, sounded very tragic.

Dante's Divine Comedy

Quote Originally Posted by mono
    Yikes! That sounds nearly as difficult as spotting tragedy in Shakespeare's A Comedy Of Errors.
    I think it really depends on the idea of 'comedy,' as the classic example defines as merely a story with a happy ending, but I know what you mean.
    Well, when you really think of the concept of Miss Havisham's almost unspoken of plot to take revenge on men, after getting jilted by her fiancé minutes before marriage, I suppose that can seem somewhat humorous. How she tempts Pip by the tantalizing ways of Estella, I often wondered if Miss Havisham actually taught Estella to tease so cruelly.
    Joe, Pip's brother-in-law, I know, gets picked on a lot by his wife, known only as Mrs. Joe. In a way, I really feel sorry for Joe, but can seem some dark humor there, with Mrs. Joe's "tickler" cane, which she used to command at Joe and Pip.
    The conclusion to the novel, I think, ends in any way but with comedy. True, it ends in Pip's hopes and "expectations," after meeting Estella again, but her fate, in fact, sounded very tragic.
    As a child, I was confused about the title of Dante's works. I asked a teacher. They explained that the word Comedy may sometimes denote a gratual lightening or upward development. Sliding down Satan's side, and making ones way up to heaven certainly qualifies as upward development.

I just have a moment right now. Perhaps I shall return with a more complete thought regarding comedy.