Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What character do you most admire from the books you have read and why

Just another nerd RobinHood3000's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Really? Why is that?
    Por una cabeza
    Si ella me olvida
    Qué importa perderme
    Mil veces la vida
    Para qué vivir

Blog Entries
    I don't picture you as a suave lady killer. I picture Rhett as an older man, mid thirties at the youngest, and I've guessed you to be 24.
    LET THERE BE LIGHT

"Love follows knowledge." – St. Catherine of Siena

My literature blog: http://ashesfromburntroses.blogspot.com/

Just another nerd RobinHood3000's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Well, I'm not saying I AM him, just that I admire him. He's smooth, swift, quick-witted, and plain-faced.
    Por una cabeza
    Si ella me olvida
    Qué importa perderme
    Mil veces la vida
    Para qué vivir

A couple worth mentioning:

Sam Spade from "The Maltese Falcon" by Dashielle Hammett. He's tough, cool, lives by his own code and doesn't let the seediness of his environment rub off on him. He also juggles conflicts to stay in control of the situation.

The Ginger Man from the book of the same name by J. P. Donleavy. He has a warped sense of humor, never lets dire circumstances thwart his hedonistic adventures, and he sees respectability as a game of absurdities. Come to think of it, he's a lot like me.

I mostly like Elisabeth Bennet from Pride and Prejudice and Jane Eyre... they both have beautiful characters... strong and witty....
    and I also admire Mr. Darcy... I love his character for being proud and bold...

i admire Mr Heathcliff from withering heights , even if he had alot of faults
    but still i like the characters who enjoy some kind of misterious and sadness at the same time , i really pity them

What a shock to see my old thread revived. When I did it no one responded really. Thank you.
    Stanislav your answer is exciting and I think I know you a little better. You too are a superhero waiting to be unleashed like M'Lord Robinhood3000. You are deep and thoughtful, this was worth waiting for!

Owen from the Ragged Trousered Philanthropists by Robert Tressell is the character I most admire and also the character who most influenced the way in which I view society.

As for sympathy, it has be Tess Durbeyfield from Tess of the D`Urbervilles by Thomas Hardy.

An honourable mention in the admiration stakes goes to Shane, in the novel of that name by Jack Schaeffer.

the character i admire the most is Joan from "pope Joan". the book -for those who don't know it- talks about a female pope who reached the vatican dressed up as a priest. i love her character beacause she remindes me of me at certain places =), and because she kept on working and studying till she achieved what she wanted. she was a revolutionary person which i loved the most about her!

Maggie Tulliver,"The Mill on the Floss" -- a genuinely good person as well as smart.

Ethan Frome is a really decent guy; deserved more in life.

Chekhov's Petya Trofimov in "Cherry Orchard" is a fine fellow.

Arnholm in Ibsen's "Lady From the Sea" likewise fine; a kind man.

All of the Three Sisters are great gals, don't receive what they deserve.

there is a similar thread I posted on recently, but since I find myself here, i'll join in on this one...

am presently reading gone with the wind so it was interesting to see someone mention Rhett butler. but my impetus for posting comes from melanie wilkes. I think earlier in conversation, danik said she was one of her early literary heroes. she is by far the most morally admirable character in the book and a great contrast to scarlett who is much more motivated by the practical matters of preservation.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12