View Poll Results: Do you consider yourself an atheist?

Voters
214. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

73 34.11%
  • No.

115 53.74%
  • Not sure.

26 12.15%
Page 1 of 64 1234561151 ... LastLast

Thread: Atheists....

Fresh, Fair and Innocent Adelheid's Avatar

Atheists....

Now, I'm NOT an atheist, but I've always wondered what exactly an atheist thinks or believes (now there's a contradiction if you've ever seen one! athesist and believe might as well see if you have a believer who disbelieves. )

Now what exactly does an atheist believe?? What is the definition you would give to describe an atheist?

I don't know if this is going to a popular thread or not, but I'll give it a try...
    "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation. For the scripture saith, Whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed." Romans 10:9-11

Atheist at Wikipedia
    "Atheism is the state either of being without theistic beliefs, or of actively believing in the non-existence of deities."

Couldn't have put it better.
    I have a plan: attack!

contradictions.... haha... somehow atheists and believing don't go together, just as believers and unbelieving don't go together.....
    "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation. For the scripture saith, Whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed." Romans 10:9-11

The point is an atheist doesn't belive IN deities. The way you put it sounds like 'to belive' has only a single meaning, that is 'having a theistic belief'.
    I have a plan: attack!

my personal view of being an atheist is that i just dont believe in any gods and follow no religion. I personally dislike religions as they are power hungry but i cant believe in gods because there is no proof also in the case of 'god' in christianity(which is the belief i know best because it was forced upon me as a younger child) it has been proven wrong many times as they say the bible is the word of god so if he disliked yi hed get soeone to change it surely. also an all-powerful being that created a planet i dont believe if it is as wise as it says it is would it let millions die? as a punishment or to learn from mistake as death is not learning.
    They went with songs to the battle, they were young.
    Straight of limb, true of eyes, steady and aglow.
    They were staunch to the end against odds uncounted,
    They fell with their faces to the foe.

They shall not grow old, as we that are left grow old:
    Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
    At the going down of the sun and in the morning,
    We will remember them.

Emil Cioran
    Quote Originally Posted by Adelheid
    contradictions.... haha... somehow atheists and believing don't go together, just as believers and unbelieving don't go together.....
    I know an atheist who believes in charity...how about that?

the problem with the dogmatic believers is that they never think that their dogma/doctrine might be questionable ... one doesn't need a very high iq to understand that the hundreds of christian dogmas have tremendous gaps because they are MADE BY PEOPLE with more or less genius,with slight or serious psychological problems and with heaps of religious fanaticism.

if u believe in something,whatever that is,fine,good for you...but just don't try to prove me that i'm wrong if i don't trust any kind of dogma and i question everithing,starting with your idols: belief in god and love.
    ...trying to prove god with arguments is the worst trap a believer can fall into.
    the reigious genius of the jews has given the only accurate definition for god ever... god said: "i am who i am"... beyond description,intimate,subjectiv...therefore if u've found him dont lose him by trying to prove him with arguments (wich r always vulgar in this matter).

When I stopped going to the church my mum sometimes called me 'atheist' trying to offend me... as a matter of fact, she was just calling me by the right cathegory I suppose...
    Actually, I've always seen atheists refered to as people who believe that there is NO god, while 'agnostic' (assuming it's an English word...) are those who just don't believe in god but are not negating his existence.

So to me an atheist is someone who is convinced that god doesn't exist. That's why for a long time I prefered to call myself 'agnostic', but it is also partly due to the sense of guilt I've felt for a while and still slightly feel for not believing, as my family raised me as a catholic and they are still religious. But I can't really pretend to have feelings I don't have, and at the present moment I feel really close to atheism, cos I'm not really able to believe in a god or more. I do happen to believe in other things, but not always... I'm a quite beliefless person I guess.

So I guess an ateist can believe in something else... cos the word atheist includes the 'theo' part which in Greek meant god or religion or something like that (think of 'theology'), while the a- in front of the word always negates the rest.
    dead on the inside, i've got nothing to prove
    keep me alive and give me something to lose

Atheists don't believe in a god. Like myself I only believe in materials processions. Of which I can personally see, touch, and feel. Unlike a god as many Christians believe in I do not see him. I have tried to pray to see some type of signs that to prove he exists, but as of now I have failed to get a reply. Therefore I don't believe there is a god, or ever will be one.

Atheists only have to have a lack of belief in gods. That is all being an atheist entails. Any "dogma" associated, any religion added on, any "beliefs" an atheist holds are individually associated only with the person.

That's my general definition and one that is most accurate via studying the root of the word, as well.
    To think is to blog is to distract is to stop is to destroy is to die is to think therefore I am not good enough

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Corlen
    Atheists don't believe in a god. Like myself I only believe in materials processions. Of which I can personally see, touch, and feel. Unlike a god as many Christians believe in I do not see him. I have tried to pray to see some type of signs that to prove he exists, but as of now I have failed to get a reply. Therefore I don't believe there is a god, or ever will be one.
    I am a person who does have faith and I am not here to convert anyone but to learn more about people. Learning is an enriching experience and one I enjoy experiencing. How do you Corlen know you have not gotten a answer to your prayers? I do not wish to offend but am just curious because not all answers are heard nor are they the ones we wish to hear. I am not just talking from a higher but from people we know. I believe if you are happy as a person with or without faith then that is fine because happiness is important. Also believe that faith should never be pushed onto someone and it should be your own choice to choose your paths in life.

Words can either heal or harm I choose for my words to heal and do no harm.

Emil Cioran
    just saw this movie,"the island"...there's a nice definition of god there:

"question: what's god?
    answer: u know,when u want something really bad and u close your eyes and u wish for it? that's the guy that ignores u... "
    amen!

answer: u know,when u want something really bad and u close your eyes and u wish for it? that's the guy that ignores u... "
    amen!
    Nice.

My definition is:

A giant, bearded, invisible sort of man who lives above the clouds watching the events of the world below in a bemused sort of way and doing nothing about them.
    Through the deep wood, the slanting sunlight
    Casts motley patterns on the jade-green mosses.
    No glimpse of man in this lonely mountain,
    Yet faint voices drift on the air.

~ Wang Wei

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sir
    just saw this movie,"the island"...there's a nice definition of god there:

amen!
    I do not feel you are ignored but that you expect a certain answer and that it is not the answer you will always receive. I should be hating Great Spirit (God) for allowing the horrific things that happened to me but I do not. Your quote to me sounds selfish and no offense. I close my eye and pray for everyone to receive healing. Anything else I want I have to work for because it is not right for someone else to hand it to me that is not earning it. I do not pray for myself often and that feels right to me as I am sure you being a atheist feels right to you. I am trying to say that your quote is how people with faith do not wish for it. They often do not ask for anything for themselves even at least the people I know.

Blog Entries
    I do hope that I have not implied that you should start believing the same way as I do. No one should be forced to have the same beliefs as mine and even though mine are in the new age category does not mean I do not have faith. My faith is my own and to each their own and I do hope that my words were not implying conversion or offensive. If so I do apologize I just wanted to state an opinion.
    Last edited by Ancestor; 09-04-2005 at 06:51 PM.

What do atheist believe in after death? Since they don't think there's a God, they obviously would have no cause to believe in heaven or Hell, since those 2 are closely linked to what God says happens after death. Is there an eternity for them?

I don't think they would believe in nothingness after death, right? That's preposterous! But then, for those who believe in evolution, that must be their conclusion, isn't it?

Page 1 of 64 1234561151 ... LastLast