Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Any recommendations for Dumas besides usual 3 Musketeers?

I think the book would make a great movie even nowadays. Well, I'm glad you're enjoying it. I wonder where the rest of our Dumas crews went off to?

a simple request

hi i'm new to the site and stumbled across your conversation about Alexandre Dumas. i've only read The Count of Monte Cristo from his works, and i know that he has over ninety different plays and novels but i was just wondering if anyone could spare me a moment to tell me the names of some of his works as i really enjoyed The Count of Monte Cristo and used to absolutely adore anything the three musketeers. thank you for your generosity.
    bai teresa

Italiansirena, I'm working on a list right now but he has so many it's going to take a while for me to put them in chronological order. Several of his books are series such as the Three Musketeers and it’s been awhile since I read them which means I’ve forgotten their proper order. Nevertheless here's a brief list including some that have been mentioned before. These are all in English but he has many more that haven't been translated I've noticed. Also you can see Aramis’ post about the Three Musketeers series if you’re interested, very informative about the order they should be read in. And I should mention there’s another book to that series which is called The son of Porthos, or, The death of Aramis but it’s been disputed whether or not Dumas wrote it. I enjoyed it as I thought it finished the series nicely overall.

The Page of the Duke of Savoy
    Ascanio
    The Black Tulip
    The Count of Monte Cristo,
    Castle Eppstein
    Fernande: the story of a courtesan
    The Corsican brothers: Corsica-Paris
    The great lover and other plays
    Horror at Fontenay
    Adventures in Caucasia
    My memoirs
    Adventures with my pets
    Adventures in Czarist Russia
    All for a crown; or, The only love of King Henry the eighth. (Catherine Howard)
    The journal of Madame Giovanni
    The Neapolitan lovers
    Monsieur de Chauvelin's will; The woman with the velvet necklace; Balanche de Beaulieu
    Celebrated crimes
    The war of women
    Sylvandire

The following books are mostly, I believe, several different series which I don’t have the proper order yet):

Queen Margot,
    Le Chevalier d'Harmental or the Conspirators
    Louise de La Valliere
    Marguerite de Valois
    The forty-five guardsmen
    The queen's necklace
    Ange Pitou or Taking the Bastille
    Chicot the Jester
    The memoirs of a physician or Joseph Balsamo
    The Countess de Charny
    The two Diana’s
    The Regent's daughter
    The queen's necklace
    The company of Jehu – 1894
    The Knight of Masion-Rouge,
    The whites and the blues

And welcome to the group! In my excitement I almost forgot that!
    Last edited by Darlin; 10-05-2005 at 06:11 PM.

Wow that's quite an impressive list! I can help you sort out a couple of the series there...
    The Valois Romances: Marguerite de Valois (La Reine Margot), Chicot the Jester, The Forty-Five Guardsmen
    Another series is: Joseph Balsamo (Memoirs of a Physician), The Queen's Necklace, Taking the Bastille (Ange Pitou), The Countess de Charny, and The Chevalier de Maison Rouge (The Knight of Maison Rouge)
    Louise de la Valliere is part of the Three Musketeers series. Not sure about the others, though I think The Chevalier d'Harmental (The Conspirators) and The Regent's Daughter are seperate novels.
    And a big welcome to you, Italiansirena!!
    All about but cannot be seen,
    Can be captured, cannot be held,
    No throat, but can be heard.

What am I?

The Wind

Now that's a big help! Thank you, Stephi. That should really clear it up for her.

Drink up me heaties yo ho
    Quote Originally Posted by Darlin
    Hey, where are all the Dumas fans? Not many?
    I´m a big Dumas fan.
    and a evan bigger Aramis (Réne d´Herblay) fan!

It's nice to see you over here. I just finished replying to your post about Aramis. Welcome fellow Dumas fan! Btw, have you read the book where Aramis dies? The final Musketeer.

no.. i am not finninsh whith the man in the iron mask and when i am. then i start reading Harry Potter 6.
    I hav to read 25 pages a day to be finninsh in time.
    and some days i just don´t have the time, i hade days like that.

What do you mean finished in time? Have you set a deadline for HP6? I should be so ambitious. For some reason I've no desire at all to read it and it's just sitting on my computer desk. But good for you. You'll have to tell me if you liked it or not.

as i toold you i am not English, no I am danish ( that´s the reasen way i can´t spell very good), and Harry Potter 6 is not transtaletet to Danish yet.
    I am a big fan og Harry Potter and i hav to read wen it comes, and that means that i hav to be finninsh with the man in the iron mask first, then i have to read 25 pages to
    be finnish in time before harry potter comes.
    (it comes next saterday)

Ah! I see. Well that's cool. About your spelling I wouldn't worry about it because half the English speaking people on the net can't spell or they use some kind of abbreviated net speak. Not only that but I've noticed a lot of American's can't speak English much better than they spell much less write in a second language. I'm exaggerating but only because it's so commendable that you can write English and not do too badly at all.

So does this mean you've read the entire Musketeer series after the Man in the Iron Mask?

Thanks for the spelling thing..
    what do you men whith the last ?
    I hav read The three musketeers, 20 years after and now I´m reading the last book I am nerly finninshed whith it ( in Denmark the last 4 books is in one, whith another title)
    But have you read the last one where Aramis dies? and if you hav then, hav does he die?
    I mean he is very old but normely they never die becorse of "that" (i don´t now hav to spell it)
    I mean i hav a list over my favorit persons in books there is death and there´s 14 people on it now:

The duke of buckingham
    Lord Winter
    Sirius Black
    Constance

And i coud cary on for ever.
    Last edited by the musketeer; 10-10-2005 at 12:25 PM.

That's a good question! How does he die? I don't quite remember. It's been a few years. That's kind of sad but my memory fails me. It's in The son of Porthos, or, The death of Aramis if you can get a copy.

And about the last I guess I should have phrased it better. I know many people kind of skip the books in between so I was wondering if you'd gone through the entire series with The Man in the Iron Mask being the last book. Looks like you have which makes for a better read imo.

what do you think about The duke of Buckingham (the old one)? after Aramis he is my favorit karakter. (and after Athos and d´Artagnan)
    Sorry if thats stupid question, but I don´t now what els I can say.
    I really hade my lady for maiking Felton kill Buckingham, he was so cool! and i really fiel sorry for Lord Winter, he lost a good friend and a young man he loved like a son.

I liked the Duke too so I know what you mean. It was a pity but as long as the main characters weren't killed pretty much I was content. Now when - ah, but you haven't finished the book so I can't say any more.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast